Had (2) 16188051 PCM's brick while flashing with WinFlash via benchtop. During the same time I flashed one 16188051 at least twice on benchtop and then once in the car - so my cables and software must be OK.

On my laptop, charger plugged in, I turn off screen saver, anti-virus, speakers and wifi, even turn off my cell phone. The 12v battery is fully charged, twice now halfway through the flash..it stops and I get the error message. Once it fails to communicate there's no second chance no matter how many times you retry to program.

Just sent one PCM to CATS for repair and have a Cadillac LT1 PCM showing up Thursday that needs to be flashed. I have no choice but do the flash to get a car running.

Moates web site has this:

"BEWARE: these ECUs are notorious for “bricking,” or being killed by a bad flash program. Please ensure that there is adequate battery voltage at all times. It is a good idea to put a charger on the vehicle while programming as a drop in voltage for one second (fan kicking on, headlights, turn signals, subwoofer, etc.) can be enough to kill the ECM."

Would you think keeping a charger on the battery (12 volt 2amp) during a bench top flash might be too much voltage?