Hello everyone,

I just swapped a GM TBI from a 4.3 V6 to the 4.0 in my AMC Eagle and I am at my wits' end with this. I put the wiring harness together myself, and I intended to control fuel and spark. EGR, Knock, and VSS have been left out (at least for now).

These are my main setup specs:

-1995 Jeep 4.0 engine with 4.2 intake
-Rebuilt 4.3 GM throttle body
-GM 8 pin ignition module triggered by Duraspark magnetic pickup
-Stock Duraspark distributor with mechanical advance locked down
-MSD Ford style TFI ignition coil
-E2000 fuel pump
-1227747 ECM
-APAB-$42-4.3-Manual.bin from here, stock 2732 chip programmed with GQ-4X programmer
-Custom wiring harness modeled after the IH one at the link above (did not connect A4, A7, A10, B10, C2 or C7)
-New heated 3 wire O2 sensor, CTS, IAC, and TPS (set right around .51v)
-Bluetooth ALDL reader using Tunerpro RT v5

All grounds are made to the engine block, which has a good cable to the battery, good strap to the frame, and good strap to the firewall. The only sensor that is not new is the MAP sensor.

This was running pretty good with the carb and MSD cdi box immediately before the install, but got poor gas mileage and was a pain to warm up in cold weather. It did however start instantly.

When I initially finished installing everything, I did actually have it running for a little bit. At the time, the computer was for a 5.7l. It would rev up to between 1000 and 1800rpm and the idle was all over the place. The pedal was not responsive, and after about 30 seconds to a minute it would stall. After a few starts, it began to backfire out the carb, and at one point it was backfiring out the carb and popping out the tailpipe at the same time. I got to see it with a timing light then and it looked like it was about 10-20 degrees ATDC...knock retard maybe? moving the dist would not change it, and disconnecting the bypass wire still would not let me set static timing to 0.

For the past couple weeks I haven't been able to get it to start at all. The distributor is definitely in the right spot, rotor pointing at #1 plug wire on compression stroke, and it is not 180 out. Wire positions did not change. It has spark, coil is getting 12 volts, and the pickup coil in the dist checks out. It might be giving a little too much fuel, but the injectors fire a good cone shape and don't drip. Plugs are clean and gapped to .045"

There are no error codes being shown, and as far as I can tell everything looks OK in Tunerpro. I might be able to take some screenshots to post soon.

Would I need a completely custom .bin file for this setup? Do spark tables need to be modified? Maybe I missed something with EGR/Knock/VSS wiring? I would think it should at least start as it is... I've gone through just about everything I can think of. The only thing that comes to mind now is rotor phasing, but since it ran before I don't want to mess with that yet.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! This is an awesome forum and you guys have been a big help to get me this far.

Attachment 8479Attachment 8480Attachment 8481Attachment 8482