Thread: Finally getting another Delco project done, or started....

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Finally getting another Delco project done, or started....

I have a friend with an '85 Turbo Regal, that has some engine work done to it, cam, ported heads, some other miscellaneous things. It's never ran right since he did all of this (years ago now). A couple years ago I took the car for a couple weeks, and had limited success tuning the 1227148 ECM that is in it. So I decided that to best plan for this car would be to swap to a 1227730 or 1227749 and use $58 to run it. I want the transition to go smoothly, and there is still some question of how well this will work in mind, so I built an adapter harness, to plug into the existing harness and then into the new ECM. That way if it takes more time to get a base tune done, the original ECM can be plugged back in and he can at least drive it.

Like I said this was a couple years ago, I started the adapter then, but got stalled on a few things, because I wasn't sure how I was going to actually terminate a few things, and wanted to retain the original ESC, to make the swap not only easier, but replacement parts, if they are ever needed, will be easier to remember what to get, since they will be stock parts.

Anyway, I have some pictures of the adapter:

I pirated the connector to attach to the car side from a failed ECM, and then using some ECM connectors and pins I had kicking around soldered the wires to crimp on PC pins, which I then soldered to the pins of the connector. I did this, because it makes a stronger connection than just soldering the wire to the pin directly, like I've done in the past.

Added some heatshrink:

The green wire is for the MAP sensor, that I will need to tie into elsewhere, since the ECM only uses the MAF, the MAP sensor is for the gauge only, in stock form, now it will run both.

I also modified a MEMCAL to use in this, don't worry, it's just a common 2.8L V6 MEMCAL, ARYF, if you're interested, that I removed the knock filter from, and added a 4K resistor, that should help keep code 43 at bay, and removed the PROM for an EPROM socket, to make tuning and flashing easier. Eventually I want to reverse engineer my TGP MEMCAL NETRES, and replicate it for this car, but for now, this will work.

I should be doing an initial tune this weekend.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.