Thread: ECM issues?

Fuel Injected!

ECM issues?

So I get home today from work and make some very slight VE adjustments to my latest tune for my truck and burn a chip with my burn2. Went to get gas and the drive there was great but after refueling truck started up just fine and I made it about 100 yards and the check engine light came on and my truck went into limp mode and stalled. I shut the truck off for a few seconds and cycled the key on and the engine light did the normal "blink" showing me that it's reading the chip but the truck wouldn't start unless I put the gas pedal to the floor and ran very rough/rich which I assume was limp mode. Naturally while all of this was happening I hadn't started data logging again yet because I had stopped recording when I shut the truck off to refuel but I did obviously have my laptop so I got to looking and even though I was getting the single engine light blink and tunerpro was trying to record data (no red error displayed at the bottom) when I went to the malfunction codes page in tunerpro they all read error. I tried moving things around in the ECM area like connectors/wiring/chip/chip socket and didn't have any luck so I went for a hail mary and just tried erasing and burning the same bin file onto the chip again which didn't help but then I tried burning the previous tune onto the chip I was running before this tune and everything started working. I'm trying to process what exactly happened and why the ECM was acting like everything was ok when clearly it wasn't. There's only a few things I can think of: my battery on my laptop was low when I burnt the chip, could this have had any effect on the burn2 writing the bin correctly? I also don't get why everything was fine and then suddenly it wasn't, I hadn't went over any bumps or anything that would have caused an impact and thus a contacting issue somewhere, also the truck/ ECM didn't really have any time to cool down which makes me think this wasn't a heat soak type of issue because I did all of this in less than a few minutes. Has anybody experienced anything like this before? I wish I had my dmm/ load test light etc. with me when this happened so I could have checked powers and grounds to the ECM while it was acting up but the way it was behaving really just struck me as some kind of software/ECM fault. Thanks for any insight.

Fuel Injected!
    I have had faulty burns. Try burning the chip again. Also check and make sure you didn't bend any pins or anything like that. If the ECM can't read the chip, you won't get a datastream at all.
    1995 K1500, Cadillac 500 TBI with 4L80E swap. 7427 PCM and 454 TBI.

Fuel Injected!
    Thanks I checked and didn't have any bent pins or anything I'm definitely leaning towards a faulty burn. The local pick n save did have a 50% off sale last weekend and I picked up another 7427 ecm for 10 bucks and verified it works so I'll keep it in the truck and if it happens again I'll swap it and see what happens.