Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help with marine 3.0 mercruiser tbi project

Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    That's really hard to get fuel to return below fuel level in any boat I have worked on, they have plastic tanks... I don't think I would attempt a fitting below fuel level?

Of course your right, but I have used that inline fitting above many times in cars and boats...
    Getting fuel return below the fuel level is not hard at all, even in a plastic tank.

The '71 truck has a plastic fuel cell, when I swapped to EFI, I drilled a hole high in the tank, to avoid any leaks. I used a bulkhead fitting for -6 tubing. Inside the tank I added an extension, that had a 90* bend in it and ended the tube about 1/2" from the bottom of the tank.

In my boss' '62 Suburban, when I swapped it to EFI, I added a return tube to the sending unit, that extended down and was attached to the side of the pick up tube. This one also ended near the bottom of the tank.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Although in theory dropping fuel into fuel isn't right, dropping it below fuel is better. But many times I have returned to drop from top of tank into fuel with no issues.

My sons IH conversion is one. The tank was so short we could not get an intank pump in. 7 inches top to bottom so had to be external pump. Fuel sender was so small we could not get a return in it so found a fuel cell Earls AN 90 degree fitting with plastic washers to mount in top of tank. The stock 1972 IH tank is 19 gallons and 7 inches high and almost 4 foot long! Also has baffles surrounding fuel pick up. So we dropped the return fuel into baffled tank as far away from pickup as possible. No issues...

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Its a little different in a boat, the gas tank is under the floor. In most boats you would have to rip the floor up the get to the tank. Mine had a small round panel that you could remove to get the top of the tank where the hoses connect and thats about it.

-1999 Hugger Orange SS, LS2 402 T56, 9 inch Ford 3.90 gears, Tuned with HP Tuners
    -2002 Cavalier, Tuned with HP Tuners
    -1994 Full Size Blazer ,383 TBI 4L60E, 4.10's, Tuned with Tunerpro RT (Where it all began)

Electronic Ignition!
    Well I sold the boat shortly after posting this thread last year.

I now have a new project I am doing research on, 1961 Chevy C60 with a 261 Inline six I want to convert to TBI.
    New project 261 Chevy Jobmaster inline six, Link here-> http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=582468
    Project 3.0l Mercruiser TBI (SOLD that POS)
    Crush all carburetors, LOL.

Administrator
    That would be neat. Is the 261 a splash oiler?

Electronic Ignition!
    That would be neat. Is the 261 a splash oiler?

No, this is what is considered the 2nd generation GM inline six. It has has full pressure oiling and full flow oil filter. I dont think too many of the 1st gen engines with no oil pump survived.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrol...ond_generation

I will start a new thread when I get closer to building the system. I need an ECU, throttle body and external fuel pump.
    New project 261 Chevy Jobmaster inline six, Link here-> http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=582468
    Project 3.0l Mercruiser TBI (SOLD that POS)
    Crush all carburetors, LOL.