Thread: Never tuned before- Looking for assitance- ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED

Fuel Injected!

Never tuned before- Looking for assitance- ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED

I have never tuned before. I will be tuning ´87-´95 GM TBI with a MAF sensor. Unsure of which mask, BIN,etc as I have multiple TBI vehicles I drive. I´ll be using the free version of TunerPro to edit, WinALDL to datalog, EEprom chips, Moates burn2 to burn, Moates G1 / G2 adapter for the flash chip to EEprom conversion, narrow band 02 to start with & once I get the hang of tuning i´ll switch to a wide band 02. I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction for editing fuel and spark tables? I understand the basics: upload your BIN to TunerPro, open XDF file, blah blah blah and I also grasp for ex: after a cam swap you would probably need a higher idle, more timing at idle, more fuel, etc. I am looking for a guide book, internet links or a physical book or something to help me get a grasp on how to edit the spark and fuel tables. Any help at all would be very appreciated, thank you. :)
    Last edited by ThatDude-98; 05-19-2021 at 12:59 AM.

Most gearhead-efi members use TunerPro RT to data log with.

Screen shot samples of information available from TunerPro RT.

R.I.P. WinALDL

dave w
    Attached Images Attached Images

Fuel Injected!
    Hey Dave, I appreciate the response. I am trying to do this as cheap as possible. With that said, are there any free dataloggers left that work with TunerPro (free version)? Also, I have done some more research, I am going to post a couple links. Could you let me know if what I understand is correct? Thanks! editing VE tables with your spreadsheet: http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...-data-Tutorial AND THEN modifying spark table: https://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/s...hp?tid/103019/. So, if I understand correctly, start from the beginning gathering your BIN, datalog so on so forth and then copy the procedures in the links i posted and burn the new BIN to the chip and rinse and repeat? Thats all there is to tuning TBI?

TunerPro RT is freeware, with a suggested $39 donation. Most TunerPro RT users eventually send a donation, some TunerPro RT uses never send a donation.

For a limited budget, TunerPro RT is free to use.

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    Roger that. Please bare with me, as I am learning as I go. Do I understand correctly that if I follow the steps in the links i posted that my vehicle will run pretty well once I do some mods? I am also now learning about tuning the pump shot (acceleration enrichment) if needed. Say I were to continue using the NB O2 sensor would editing the Power Enrichment be needed? Thanks a million, you´re a hell of a guy & I appreciate everything you & others have done on this site.
    Last edited by ThatDude-98; 05-21-2021 at 06:41 PM.

When I have the free time, I will comment on a posted data log.
    BLM - Off Idle.jpg

BLM - Near Idle.jpg

dave w

Fuel Injected!

sounds good

Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    When I have the free time, I will comment on a posted data log.
    BLM - Off Idle.jpg

BLM - Near Idle.jpg

dave w
    sounds good, I will wait to hear back from you. if I understand correctly that is WAY too lean, like damage occuring lean.

I often use an Excel spreadsheet to "crunch" a data log. The above screenshots are "examples" of what the fuel trims look like after being "crunched" with the Excel spreadsheet.

Yes, the BLM averages are lean.

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    Dave, I am not sure what you mean. I am curious if you know of anywhere that explains how to edit Power Enrichment ¨for dummies¨? I understand what PE is, just confused about how to edit it, because, every thread i have read on editing it confuses me. I believe PE is the 2nd to last thing i need to learn to tune. The other thing I need to learn is VE1 and VE2 tables as I dont understand the need for 2 VE tables or how to edit the 2nd VE table? I can grasp hardware / software, datalogging, fixing a single VE table with BLM spreadsheet, acceleration enrichment and editing spark advance. Thanks.

I was mistakenly thinking about the 16197427 TBI computer in post #6, my apologies.

Perhaps information in this link will help with TBI Tuning: https://www.gmcmi.com/wp-content/upl...EFI-System.pdf

An Air Fuel Ratio (AFR) meter is commonly used to tune PE. When PE is active the BLM's are locked at 128. The common method to add AFR's into the 1227747 data log is with the Moates.net APU1: http://support.moates.net/autoprom-apu1/

How to data log AFR's with the APU1: http://static.moates.net/zips/wideba...nerpro_lm1.pdf

dave w

Fuel Injected!

Thanks again Dave

Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    I was mistakenly thinking about the 16197427 TBI computer in post #6, my apologies.

Perhaps information in this link will help with TBI Tuning: https://www.gmcmi.com/wp-content/upl...EFI-System.pdf

An Air Fuel Ratio (AFR) meter is commonly used to tune PE. When PE is active the BLM's are locked at 128. The common method to add AFR's into the 1227747 data log is with the Moates.net APU1: http://support.moates.net/autoprom-apu1/

How to data log AFR's with the APU1: http://static.moates.net/zips/wideba...nerpro_lm1.pdf

dave w
    holy smokes, thought i was grasping things but now I feel I am getting lost..I read the links you posted, starting from ¨how to tune a GM EFI System¨ & working my way down. I can see right now I will have to read the How to tune GM EFI again (3rd time) and refrence it later..good info. As far as the Wide band- I am trying to figure out how to set it up to the ECM or is that what the How to data log AFR with APU1 does? I hear people saying to ¨tie¨ it into the ECM or something like that, but, havent figured that out yet, so, basically I need to understand how to set one up then from what I grasp follow the ¨datalog AFR with APU1¨ link to a T ( 0 volts at 10 & 5 volts at 20, etc, etc) thank your for your help and patience.

The 1227747 does not have Plug-n-Play ability for an AFR meter. The AFR meter data can be "streamed" into a 1227747 data log with the use of the APU1. The AFR meter information needs to be synchronized real time with 1227747 data log, meaning at the moment the data log captures information like RPM, Kpa, and BLM the AFR meter information needs to be captured at that same EXACT moment too.

I think a walk before running approach toward tuning is a good plan. A good first step would be to capture a data log to get comfortable with the information. Once there a good understanding of the basic data log, then add the complexity (expense) of using an AFR meter when data logging.

dave w