Thread: BitHoist Test Cases and BitHoist Tester

BitHoist Test Cases and BitHoist Tester

I've been looking at the BitHoist source code and considering changing it. Before I start changing BitHoist, I wanted to have some way of testing the changed source code so it would work as before.

I have created 307 test cases. I have created a test program to run and to verify the test cases are working as before.

I know that I have not covered all error situations with various input options like -w. I do not feel I know enough about the -offset option, to generate all test cases.

One limitation is if you move BitHoist to a new folder, you will get errors in several of the test cases.

I wrote the testing program in Python -- a powerful programming language. Python does a great amount of getting things done verses the effort to learn.

run all test cases:
    bithoist-test.py

run and generate a revised set of test cases with current output:
    bithoist-test.py -c

help:
    bithoist-test.py -h

See ReadMe.txt for test case file format.

Robert
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by historystamp; 06-28-2012 at 05:42 AM.

Robert, I'm a GearHead with some website skills... what did you just say?

I added a Forum link the other day as I don't want your work to go un-noticed or un-appreciated, I know I still need to add the HTML work and links. But it is almost summer here and I have to get some work done and excersize in the next month before summer ends... OK maybe 2 months...

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Thanks.

The translation is that I've completed a preliminary step in the process to let someone add a bin to the list of currently supported bins in BitHoist.

I wanted a place to archive the stuff.

I see some need to make changes to BitHoist beyond adding new bins. Once I make a change to BitHoist, I need to see if BitHoist works as before. The automated test case program let's me do the testing with the push of a "button".

I thinking the existing BitHoist with a few changes would be able to gather the data necessary to add a bin. Some bins don't seem to work in BitHoist I will have to add more code to figure out why. Both need an automated tester.

Robert

May not want to post the test in public? Also have to be careful about how or who uploads new bins? May not be a good bin or may be something bad?

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

May not want to post the test in public?
    I do not see a problem from the security angle. I do not test the BitHost web page with this automation tool. I tested the BitHoist command line utility only. BitHoist is open source. I didn't find any problems with the -id option which is used on the web page.

Open source Linux and partially Open source Mac OS X has a much better security reputation than closed source Windows.

Microsoft used a security argument for not giving out the source code to Windows in the legal battle with the Justice department in the late '90s. Once the court case ended, they give the source code to the Chinese government!

Robert

Also have to be careful about how or who uploads new bins? May not be a good bin or may be something bad?
    I did upload some bins in the zip file. There the ones Robert referenced in a post about using the BitHoist -id reference.

I haven't got started on any changes to BitHoist to deal with adding new bins. I'm still trying to understand how BitHoist works. It's still magic on how it comes up with the data it does.

Robert
    Last edited by historystamp; 06-29-2012 at 02:32 AM.

BitHoist plans:

I think the goal is to be able to add bins to BitHoist.

How to accomplish this goal.

I will need to make some changes to the BitHoist command line tool just to understand it.

1) Create an automated BitHoist test tool. [Done]

2) The next step is to add some comments how I think the code works.

3) I'll then add some more print statements, so I can understand the flow a little better.

4) Figure out why some bins fail.

5) I might then fix a bug or two. This is a good way of knowing if you know what your are doing.

6) More analysis on failure bins.

8) add some more print out why bin fails.

9) Discuss how new bins might be added BitHoist

10) At some point in time will need to get into some procedure for changing the BitHoist web page.

11) Implement something simple on adding new bins.

12) Discuss strategy for adding bins

13) Automate administration on adding bins

etc.

about point ten is too far in the future.

Robert

I have completed steps 2 & 3!

We had a lot of snow this winter. Time indoor with some time on my hands.

See thread:
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...7773#post37773

Robert
    Last edited by historystamp; 03-31-2014 at 01:44 AM.