Thread: Finding 0411 and 0896 PCM's - What's The Problem?

Fuel Injected!

Finding 0411 and 0896 PCM's - What's The Problem?

Hello,

In recent discussions around here, some of you have expressed a problem finding the red / blue connector, 512k byte, P01 PCM devices in your local junk yards. In disbelief, I went to the junk yard yesterday to see if I could agree with you that this is definitely a problem.

And I don't agree. In the span of about 50 minutes at two local junk yards less than one block apart here in Shreveport (Pypes & UAPI), I picked four red / blue PCM's and could have walked away with as many of the blue / green 1 megabyte P59 boxes. I grabbed two for $32 each and two at $37 each.

All four got flashed last night with the 12212156 operating system and all four got looked at for codes and parameter ID streaming using one of my Android OBD2 reader apps - no problems. I did not install any of these in my LS-swap El Camino but I'm confident they would have worked.

It's two 0411 and two 0896 devices that I acquired and I know there's a certain fondness for the 0411 devices. I'm told that the 0411 PCM's stream parameter ID's slightly faster than the 0896 but if that's true, the differences here are very slight and certainly not enough to matter for me. I wouldn't banish an 0896 from my El Camino.

Rick
    1970 Chevy El Camino, LM7 Engine, 4L60E - Two 896 and two 0411 PCM's

I don't remember if I commented on the '0411 shortage thread or not. For me, scheduling time to search a salvage yard for parts is challenging. I like to get in and get out with the part or parts I'm searching for. Perhaps the shortage is not really a shortage, but a time constraint to find an awesome price? Pick-n-Pull type salvage yards provide affordable prices, if your lucky enough to have the time to look around to find the part or parts your searching for. Inventory at Pick-n-Pull type salvage yards change on a daily basis. Recently, the computer suppliers I do business with are unable to sell a "quantity or lot of 10 computers" like they used to be able to do (seemingly a shortage perhaps). Perhaps from a business stand point of view there is a shortage? Perhaps from a one-time project stand point of view there is an awesome price and an abundance of availability at Pick-n-Pull type salvage yards? I don't know . . . call around to buy 10 computers (one stop shopping) or walk around to buy 10 computers . . . hmmm?

dave w