Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: upgrade to '7427 from '7060 - ready to pull the trigger

Fuel Injected!
    I just removed an engine & dash wiring harness from a 1990 suburban about a month ago, the DRAC was under the radio IIRC

EDIT: it was 2wd btw
    Last edited by tayto; 08-16-2021 at 07:36 PM.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by tayto View Post
    I just removed an engine & dash wiring harness from a 1990 suburban about a month ago, the DRAC was under the radio IIRC

EDIT: it was 2wd btw
    Hmm, maybe it's under the radio, but I'm pretty sure it's built into the cluster. I have been in and out of the dash a number of times and have never seen a stand alone DRAC, but wasn't looking hard at that time. '91 3/4 ton 4wd suburban with 4L80e was a definite enigma.

Fuel Injected!
    i just bought a 91 suburban cluster on ebay to go with the harness I pulled. it got delivered yesterday, unless the integrated DRAC is behind the speedo face I doubt it's there.

The DRAC on a 91 suburban is around the area that the column bolts to the dash. You need to run a VSS wire from it to the 7427 to get a speed readout to the PCM. No idea why, but this was how I had to do mine to have the MPH readout in the datastream and get the 80E to shift correctly.
    94 Blazer, Turbo'd 350 TBI - DD
    1991 2500 Suburban Adventure truck - 4wd conversion, 4-link F/R, 582ci CNP Big Block with Terminator X EFI backed by a 6L90 and twin stick'd NP205 t-case
    2012 Porsche Panamera Turbo - Date night car :)
    1979 16' Action Marine/"Johnny Cash" Merc Bridgeport Champ Motor - Metalflake Maniac

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1BadAction View Post
    The DRAC on a 91 suburban is around the area that the column bolts to the dash. You need to run a VSS wire from it to the 7427 to get a speed readout to the PCM. No idea why, but this was how I had to do mine to have the MPH readout in the datastream and get the 80E to shift correctly.
    Cool, thanks. I'll take a look next time I have the dash apart. Is it a white, translucent box like it is on the later trucks? I just don't remember seeing it last time I was in there. But it's kind of a moot point now since I'm running a parallel VSSB from a '94 that provides the speed signals to the PCM. Seems to be working OK.

Fuel Injected!
    Just got done this swap on the '92 GMC I've been working on. Swap went well, about 2.5 hours all in. Truck noticeably runs and idles better. Well worth upgrade not to mention a more complete hack with more tuning options. Haven't even done a custom chip yet, seems quite happy with BNKM I got from the wrecker. Only had to add 1 wire from the VSSB to the PCM. I had a partial harness from a 93+ GM truck from years ago, it had the wire I needed and pinned in to the VSSB and connector between VSSB and PCM. I have attatched my pull sheet for others.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by tayto; 08-29-2021 at 08:56 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by tayto View Post
    Just got done this swap on the '92 GMC I've been working on. Swap went well, about 2.5 hours all in. Truck noticeably runs and idles better. Well worth upgrade not to mention a more complete hack with more tuning options. Haven't even done a custom chip yet, seems quite happy with BNKM I got from the wrecker. Only had to add 1 wire from the VSSB to the PCM. I had a partial harness from a 93+ GM truck from years ago, it had the wire I needed and pinned in to the VSSB and connector between VSSB and PCM. I have attatched my pull sheet for others.
    Cool, glad it went pretty well for you. Thanks for posting the pull sheet.

On my knock count issue (different post) I've replaced spark plugs with 41-993 Delco Iridium, and tightened up the loose manifold heat stove with steel dish scrubber (per your suggestion). I also found the dipstick tube was loose. Hopefully one or a combo of those will solve my maxed out knock counts. Haven't run it yet after doing those things - also in the middle of replacing the P/S pump. Hopefully done in the next day or two. I'll post on the other post after I do.

Fuel Injected!
    dave, i hooked up my laptop last night a d noticed my knock counts were in the 10,000 range at idle. I think the 7060 PCM uses the older TBI ecm knock sensor? I have a newer knock sensor with a black snout that I was going to swap when I do a coolant flush.

EDIT: i re-read your orher post, I will measure knock sensor Resistance when i get home. btw my SES isn't lite but It shows ERROR. next to code 43 in Tunerpro RT
    Last edited by tayto; 08-30-2021 at 07:36 PM.