Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fuel multipliers and tuning VE

Oh... D'oh! Dam, darn... I broke my rules... I really don't like to help add spark when I'm not there... do you know how to force a knock at a certain spot to see if knock sensor is working correctly?

No don't just add 2 to 4 degrees across the whole table.

I will answer the idle spark, look at your spark table at 20 to like 50 MAP, 400 to 800 RPM. See it all the same? That is idle spark.

We can work on a learning curve for spark, but maybe a total seperate thread and get the master of MAX spark advance, Dave W involved? It's something we try to avoid in public as it is very easy to go wrong!!! For instance, we are now talking about $42, then someone with another mask reads it and takes the advice.... well it may not be correct for that mask, or heads, or compression, or gas, or, or, or... Every time I have tuned a vehicle, then went to a dyno, I was at least 10% short on HP because I'm a wimp! A wimp who never melted a motor!

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Lol. No I'm not sure that I do know how to force knock, how would I do that?

Ok glad I asked about that first!

The idle spark area in the table is nice and flat I noticed.... Wonder if I should try to flatten my idle area on my main fuel table as well..

That would be great if you and Dave W would be kind enough to help this beginner, I'm game!

Whats the procedure for forcing knock?

I flattened my idle are in VE1 much the same way that spark table is done, is this OK?

I've never found it neccessery? If you don't find issues then all is well. All these tables your looking at..... well play back a log and enable data tracing and you can see the bubble dance around the cells your in. Take that cell and interpolate it to four surrounding cells and it comes up with amount. Rock solid spark advance helps keep things steady. But fuel can change a little with IAC, load, PS, O2... the flat spark helps the fuel stay steady.

I started another thread on spark so we can get more advice then just mine. What works for me may be done differantly by somone else, so we will open up a conversation.
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...ced-knock-test
    Attached Images Attached Images

-= =-

Awesome.

When you use something like say the BLM history table do you use running avg or something else?

History average, but that's after I rough it in live. First I usually warm up totally and drive or make run and idle, then disconnect power to ECM to loose BLM learn, then use the first 3-5 minutes of data after closed loop, before learn takes over. I like the vehicle to run as well without an O2 sensor in the end as it does with. That's a good fuel table. But as you add spark you go leaner... rinse and repeat.

But I'm a little sic, when I'm bored I put a 5.0L bin in my 5.7L Suburban to see how long it takes to tune...

-= =-

History average, OK thanks for clearing that up for me. You say you use the first 3-5 minutes of data after closed loop, before learn takes over... Is the ECM not in learn mode when it's recording BLMs???

What do you use for emulating? Wish I had an emulator.

Well yes in closed loop is BLM learn but then it stores some in ECM for future use, I don't know the technicalities of it. But when your warmed up, loose power to ECM you loose the learn, then get MAX BLMs to adjust from. I just found it way quicker to rough in a tune.

AutoProm from Moates is king! If you already have tuning stuff then Ostrich from Moates.

-= =-