Thread: P59 pcm rewrite

Carb and Points!

P59 pcm rewrite

Ok I apologize first If I missed a a thread or a post about this. I have been reading for a few daya on OBDII, Tunerpro, PCM Hammer and ect...... I feel like my brain is mush.

I am doing an 2005 1500 Silverado 5.3L with a 4L60E into a 1993 chevy pick up.

A little history I purchased the 5.3L dbw and the transmission as a complete unit with the fuse box, PCM, electric fans and all harnesses and all accessories. I am now in the process of freshening up the engine a bit with a gentle rebuild with a cam for curb appeal.

I purchased a OBD Link MX+for being able to hopefully read and write the PCM for #1 vats deletion, #2 deleting non need items such as evap and rear o2's, and #3 for tuning.

I am now in the middle of my project and getting to the PCM portion. I was able to read th bin and save the file off my PCM with PCM Hammer.

I found out and I believe my OS is 12592618. From everything I have read there is NO xdf for 12592618 as of yet for Tuner Pro. Is that true?

I believe I have read and seen that the OS and XDF must absolutely match in Tuner Pro.

But, I believe I have read that people can, have or could over write the OS 12592618 with OS 12587603 which if my memory serves me correctly is from 2004. Is that true?

I believe I am very computer savy & mechanically inclined.....

I am seeking some honest answers.... That could range from look here to hey stupid stop.

If this was your project or if you was in my shoes how would you proceed?

Obviously if I can overwrite a PCM with an OS of 12592618 and convert it to 12587603 that would be my choice. If I cannt and 12592618 is not yet available or compromised with open source programming. Is HP Tuner an option?

Thanks in advance.

MrPlumber
    Last edited by MrPlumber; 04-07-2021 at 01:04 AM. Reason: cannt spell

Fuel Injected!
    You got couple of options.

1.Buy commercial product
    2.Downgrade to `04 7603 OS and use existing xdf
    3.Create your own xdf
    4.Ask someone to fix basic stuff for you[I guess tunning is not an option here].
    5.Use the new open source program called Universal Patcher.

All the options have pros and cons, it also depends how good you are at new technology.

Carb and Points!
    Quote Originally Posted by kur4o View Post
    You got couple of options.

1.Buy commercial product
    2.Downgrade to `04 7603 OS and use existing xdf
    3.Create your own xdf
    4.Ask someone to fix basic stuff for you[I guess tunning is not an option here].
    5.Use the new open source program called Universal Patcher.

All the options have pros and cons, it also depends how good you are at new technology.
    kur4o, appreciate your thoughts.

1. I am assuming you talking EFI Live or HP Tuners?
    2. I dont see a downside to downgrading it to a 2004. I engine will be running on a stand alone factory harness. Is there?
    3. I not that computer savy..... LOL
    4. I may have a local guy that would be able to if #2 doesnt work out.
    5. Have you personally used Universal Patcher? I saw it and played with it on various matching bin and xdfs on the site. It says it works when I toy with. But then again I can be blind folded and served a steak but is it really a steak. Maybe a bad analogy. but.....

New 6. Go to the junk yard and find me a 03 04 05 ish pcm and play with it. As I know I need dbw. I dont care what year the os or pcm is.

MrPlumber

Fuel Injected!
    Hello Mr Plumber,

You can do exactly as you have written above and the 7603 operating system will work just fine. Your engine will start, run, idle and accelerate. My only concern is that your cam swap will likely leave you running somewhat on the lean side and you will need to watch your Long and Short Term Fuel Trims to keep from running a too hot combustion chamber temperature.

You will need to increase your fueling inside of that 7603 tune across many cells in tables within its software. And for that, I have little advice except to say that it can be done within Tuner Pro RT. But I have never done it.

Rick
    1970 Chevy El Camino, LM7 Engine, 4L60E - Two 896 and two 0411 PCM's

Carb and Points!
    Quote Originally Posted by B52Bombardier1 View Post
    Hello Mr Plumber,

You can do exactly as you have written above and the 7603 operating system will work just fine. Your engine will start, run, idle and accelerate. My only concern is that your cam swap will likely leave you running somewhat on the lean side and you will need to watch your Long and Short Term Fuel Trims to keep from running a too hot combustion chamber temperature.

You will need to increase your fueling inside of that 7603 tune across many cells in tables within its software. And for that, I have little advice except to say that it can be done within Tuner Pro RT. But I have never done it.

Rick
    Bombardier1

I found two separate 7603 bins and xdfs that seem to work with each other and save without a checksum error. One from a 04 corvette. Issue being it is a 5.7 and manual. I found a 04ss truck with a 5.3 and 4L60E. Issue with that is the xdf has a bit of a different layout than that of the corvette.

If I use the 04ss truck bin with the xdf that works with the vette I get checksum errors when saving.

So If I use the universal patcher to fix the checksums. Am I good to go. To rewrite it to my PCM and have a low chance of locking it up?

To me this is the fun stuff as well.

MrPlumber

Fuel Injected!
    MrPlumber,

You can be the guinea pig and open the pandora box of free tuning.

Anyway all freeware tools pose significant risk, since they come with no warranties.
    I will even doubt the xdfs, the wireless flash tool and even commercial tools can have errors and brick your pcm with absolutely no money back.

To give you a piece of mind. When the checksums are good the pcm can reflashed.

Just start with junkyard spare pcm and start experimenting.

Carb and Points!
    Yaaaaa..... i like the thrill of testing and Pandora's box. I have programmed things in the past with a computer and hooking items up to it. This just happens to be my first programming of a PCM. Like I said I be mechanically inclined and computer savy. But I can say I am NO computer programmer. You people that are alot smarter than I are around for that.

With that being said my hats off to you folks for all you have done. :)

MrPlumber

Carb and Points!

Did you find the fix?

Quote Originally Posted by MrPlumber View Post
    Ok I apologize first If I missed a a thread or a post about this. I have been reading for a few daya on OBDII, Tunerpro, PCM Hammer and ect...... I feel like my brain is mush.

I am doing an 2005 1500 Silverado 5.3L with a 4L60E into a 1993 chevy pick up.

A little history I purchased the 5.3L dbw and the transmission as a complete unit with the fuse box, PCM, electric fans and all harnesses and all accessories. I am now in the process of freshening up the engine a bit with a gentle rebuild with a cam for curb appeal.

I purchased a OBD Link MX+for being able to hopefully read and write the PCM for #1 vats deletion, #2 deleting non need items such as evap and rear o2's, and #3 for tuning.

I am now in the middle of my project and getting to the PCM portion. I was able to read th bin and save the file off my PCM with PCM Hammer.

I found out and I believe my OS is 12592618. From everything I have read there is NO xdf for 12592618 as of yet for Tuner Pro. Is that true?

I believe I have read and seen that the OS and XDF must absolutely match in Tuner Pro.

But, I believe I have read that people can, have or could over write the OS 12592618 with OS 12587603 which if my memory serves me correctly is from 2004. Is that true?

I believe I am very computer savy & mechanically inclined.....

I am seeking some honest answers.... That could range from look here to hey stupid stop.

If this was your project or if you was in my shoes how would you proceed?

Obviously if I can overwrite a PCM with an OS of 12592618 and convert it to 12587603 that would be my choice. If I cannt and 12592618 is not yet available or compromised with open source programming. Is HP Tuner an option?

Thanks in advance.

MrPlumber

Did you ever got the solution to the OS issue? I cant replace the computer because has a custom program for the cam, and I need to leave it alone. I just want to change other lines.

Thanks
    Edwin

1969 Nova LS Swap

Quote Originally Posted by Syclone2697 View Post
    Did you ever got the solution to the OS issue? I cant replace the computer because has a custom program for the cam, and I need to leave it alone. I just want to change other lines.

Thanks
    Edwin

1969 Nova LS Swap
    Here is an XDF for the 12592618 OS.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Carb and Points!
    downloaded this 2618 OS xdf, opened in tuner pro. the read me section says this xdf is for OS 603 tho????

Quote Originally Posted by Corruptedcustom View Post
    downloaded this 2618 OS xdf, opened in tuner pro. the read me section says this xdf is for OS 603 tho????
    Try this one, I updated the read me. https://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=7916