Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: hey guys

hey guys

been sick and working alot and sick some more so havent been able to work with this truck project of mine in a while, however Mark has helped me with pieces of it in the past but we have kinda switched directions a little and need some assistance from more exprience here.
    I have a zz383 in a 63 chevy truck with a victor jr intake and an accufab throttle body thats rated at 1000cfm and has a progessive 4 barrel setup to it...... now it does have fast burn heads but is there anyone here that may can help me with a startup tune just to get it to run and idle ???? thanks guys
    Wise man once said,better to stay silent and let others assume your and idiot than to open your mouth and prove it........and yes im an idiot lol

Not without pictures?

ECM/PCM may help too...

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    Not without pictures?
    ECM/PCM may help too...
    What he said X2!

dave w

THANKKKKKK YOUUUUUU everyone who has help me understand what little I have come to learn about this system.... I have finally got everything together and made a startup tune just by uneducated guess...lol
    now if anyone could look at these data logs and see anything I would really appreciate it..... this truck runs pretty goo all in all ,,we finally got to run it a few miles today with no vss as we found a bad sensor this morning. it is an 8d 1227730 and here are the bin and xdl... thank you everyone in advance and IF I can help anyone please let me know
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Wise man once said,better to stay silent and let others assume your and idiot than to open your mouth and prove it........and yes im an idiot lol

Quote Originally Posted by droptopstng View Post
    THANKKKKKK YOUUUUUU everyone who has help me understand what little I have come to learn about this system.... I have finally got everything together and made a startup tune just by uneducated guess...lol
    now if anyone could look at these data logs and see anything I would really appreciate it..... this truck runs pretty goo all in all ,,we finally got to run it a few miles today with no vss as we found a bad sensor this morning. it is an 8d 1227730 and here are the bin and xdl... thank you everyone in advance and IF I can help anyone please let me know
    Something WEIRD with the SA. I've never seen the SA max out like the "johns after i drove it.xdl" The WEIRD SA shows up in the history tables. The BLM's need tuning.

edit
    Ok, I looked at the .bin file, it looks like to me the SA table is WAY WRONG!

dave w
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dave w; 07-30-2012 at 06:38 AM.

kinda thought I had too much in there but it doesnt seem like it driving it and the plugs actually look decent but thats what I thought just dont know why its taking so much timing to get it to run but the only thing im not certain of is if the timing mark on the balancer is right... normally when I build a motors I degree and mark the balancer for true tdc but I didnt build this motor it is a crate motor somone else put in

I am also having an issue my adx will not show me history tables and im ignorant as to how to add that feature

Even if you take out the 20 bias the spark table is crazy? But max spark in bin set to 34? Base timing at 1? Log shows your in ALDL mode? Hitting 96 degrees advance? Unless your doing something with your XDF and ADX this is firing 2 cylinders off? How do BLMs look good?

-= =-

This might be a good time to test JeepsandGuns new XDF and ADX...

-= =-

Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    Even if you take out the 20 bias the spark table is crazy? But max spark in bin set to 34? Base timing at 1? Log shows your in ALDL mode? Hitting 96 degrees advance? Unless your doing something with your XDF and ADX this is firing 2 cylinders off? How do BLMs look good?
    I dont think any of it looks good Im just happy it is mobile but would like to get it right .I cant figure the whole history parts out so I am blind at best but it seems to actually run decent.. I did have to jack fueling up at start a bunch which I thought was odd and had to pour the timing to it to get the motor to wake up now I am still not really well versed on this gm stuff so please do tell if anyone can help...again thanks

Honestly, start with a bone stock bin, don't try and guess what you think the engine will need, the engine will tell you when you try to start it.

You'd be amazed at how well a stock bin will get an engine up and running.

The only things I generally do, is disable closed loop right off the bat, and set any scalers that may be drastically different from the original application to the new application, but I generally try to find something close to start with anyway. In your case, I would start with an $8D bin for a 5.7, with the same trans, and only disable closed loop.

When trying to start the engine, you will see if it's getting too much or not enough fuel, spark advance being enough or not, etc.

I find that when someone tries to "guess what an engine wants", they usually don't guess correctly, and then find that they have issues later trying to tune something out, forgetting that something they changed for the start tune.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

thats where this started at and thats the point I have gotten too ....I was told this would never work I made it work maybe not right but I would like to get it a close to perfect as i can...I just went back and looked at the sa tables and they look crazy out there and dont know why at all....I added timing but like 12 degrees across the board...but thank you people for the help I never even caught the simple stuff...I downloaded the super 8d stuff ,is this something I should consider or not ?

Quote Originally Posted by droptopstng View Post
    ....I was told this would never work
    Yeah, like my Delco ECM running my turbo Nissan engine, or the Crossfire injected SBC with 4L60E in my Grandfather's '71 pick up, running off a late model TBI ECM, along with a few other projects.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Administrator
    Did you set timing with the bypass line disconnected? It's like pulling the timing spout on a Ford. The engine should be able to run with the bypass disconnected as well. It won't run well, but it will run. I'd start with that, to make sure the distributor is in the right place and to be sure it's all wired correctly.

I did check with the est wire disconected but one thing that is not certain is if the timing marks are right,I am gonna carry a degree wheel with me tonight and check the marks to see if they are close but i will let you know