Thread: 3.1 Turbo/Tuner pro HELP code59

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Electronic Ignition!

3.1 Turbo/Tuner pro HELP code59

At my wits end with this one. I've been using tunerpro for a couple of years for minor benign mods, while I never claim to be a professional. Regardless, before this current build, I used tuner pro on my Beretta using the stock code, the correct xdf and the correct adx. I did this all the time, and through minor modifications it ran great. I would just alter the bin, upload it to the emulator to get my fans coming off and on at the right times, etc. Then put the bin on my stock chip that I had thrown an atmel into, and moved on. And I'll lead with, to inform the reader, i'm not a complete retard at this, as a matter of fact I was messing around with my buddies trucks quite a bit last summer.

Fast forward.

for what it's worth, it's a 1989 Corsica hatchback. Five speed swap, LG5 turbo. LS springs, roller rockers and it's got a three-bar map in it. '730.

One day, I decided that I wanted to go out there and mess with the tune a little bit, I was still in the early stages. The dog chewed up my extension cord (bad LT batt.), So I took my prom into the house, plugged it into the mini programmer, pulled the bin, did the modification, put the bin back on the prom, went outside and stuck it in. the fans come on as if you're in diagnostic mode, and the check engine light flickers. No start. All I did was change fan temps because I put a 160 thermostat in. So now I'm confused, I go back in the house and mess with it some more. After a week or more of research, people are informing me through the posts that I read, to make sure the checksum is disabled, or set at AA. It was not set at AA, however I'm going to point out that I've done this process a million times it seems, and I've never touched the checksum or any of its parameters. I've never had a problem, and I'll defend that fact to my grave. But all the forums I'm reading are saying that that's impossible and I should have been disabling it or it would not work. I disable it. At this point I'm back outside with the emulator and a new extension cord, trying to figure this out. No check engine light at all/no run (but no fans) when it's set at AA. Fine, I'll throw in a two-bar map, emulate 8f, and see what happens. Same thing, fans come on, have to disable the checksum, wash/rinse/repeat. I have unaltered bins saved, same thing. Every single one. it doesn't matter whether I physically burn it onto a prom, it doesn't matter if I'm trying to emulate. You can set aa, and the fans won't come on and the light won't flicker but the car still does not start.

Fine, let's throw in a one bar, just to get it to idle, make sure that I'm not completely stupid, I disconnected the turbo. Same thing, correct xdf, correct bin, correct adx. Load her up in the emulator, upload it and of course wouldn't you know it. Flickering check engine light with fans. What is going on. fine even though I know it's not going to work I'll go disable the checksum, well maybe it's my xdf, but there is no checksum table anywhere on the OEM bin. I'm using tuner pro 5, ostrich emulator, and whenever I need to burn hard copies I'm using the mini pro programmer. My car is completely disabled, literally nothing I do will make it run.

Well wait, maybe it's your prom. Maybe it's the ECM!

I have spare parts, 6 ecms that I know are good, same problem. Also multiple compatible chips with Atmels. No go. Here's the funny part, I load all this up and with the key on I get acquisition. Every single sensor seems to be working correctly, temperature seems to be accurate. So it's not like I'm not able to communicate through acquisition. I've read a few things about settings in tuner pro, that I cannot find. And now I'm in this loop where no bins are working, don't know what to do. I know someone's been through this before, tell me what I'm doing wrong!

Fuel Injected!
    Burn the stock bin file, if it still does that then look into the eprom programmer settings or the programmer itself might be bad. However if all is fine with the stock file then you might have a checksum problem.
    -Carl

I know this might sound dumb, but I've done this myself...

Are you sure you have the ribbon cable installed correctly in the MEMCAL adapter?

About checksum. TP automatically updates checksum when you save a bin, so if you're burning EEPROMs, disabling Checksum is not needed. If you're uploading whole bins to an emulator, sometimes you can get away without checksum being disabled, however, if you're truly emulating, where only singular changes are being made checksum absolutely has to be disabled. That being said I have had a couple instances where it wasn't disabled, and emulating SEEMED to work, but wasn't really working properly.

Installing an unmodified MEMCAL, does the engine start?
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Electronic Ignition!
    Quote Originally Posted by Six_Shooter View Post
    I know this might sound dumb, but I've done this myself...

Are you sure you have the ribbon cable installed correctly in the MEMCAL adapter?

About checksum. TP automatically updates checksum when you save a bin, so if you're burning EEPROMs, disabling Checksum is not needed. If you're uploading whole bins to an emulator, sometimes you can get away without checksum being disabled, however, if you're truly emulating, where only singular changes are being made checksum absolutely has to be disabled. That being said I have had a couple instances where it wasn't disabled, and emulating SEEMED to work, but wasn't really working properly.

Installing an unmodified MEMCAL, does the engine start?
    well, no, not exactly. The ICM fires it, when it's time for the .bin to take over, it chokes. This happens with checksum disabled as well. That's being said it has 36lb injectors on it, so the one time it started, it was rough and I'm 99% my limp mode for the 19lb'ers were running it. I didn't let it run long.

I double checked my cable, it seemed fine. I have a question. I've heard (read) about hitting the ecm with a bad checksum could brick it. Now I've tried multiple ecms, but they have all been hit with the same bin at one time or another, during this fiasco.

Is the checksum regenerated/updated when you make changes in emulation, i.e. like changes fueling etc?

No, bad checksum will not brink an ECM, at least not OBD1 ECMs.

No, checksum is only updated when the bin is saved. This is why checksum needs to be disabled during emulation.

So are you saying that it runs on base timing, but not when timing is being commanded by the ECM?
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Electronic Ignition!
    Quote Originally Posted by Six_Shooter View Post
    No, bad checksum will not brink an ECM, at least not OBD1 ECMs.

No, checksum is only updated when the bin is saved. This is why checksum needs to be disabled during emulation.

So are you saying that it runs on base timing, but not when timing is being commanded by the ECM?
    Correct. that's what I believe is occuring. Where I'm getting confused is this happens regardless of what bin you use. Even a factory unmodified bin that never hits tunerpro, just straight to the prom, gets you a flickering light.

Same with emulation. The one exception; in beginning an emulation session, disabling checksum gets you no CEL, but what I perceive as the base timing only issue. With the flickering light, you don't even get the stumble.

I've got WB02 wired in, otherwise a fairly solid/stock wiring harness throughout the car. I would blame my chip burner, seeing as how you get the issue bypassing TP, but I can't get through with emulation either.

Possible electrical? what would (if anything) invoke this ECM behavior if it electrical and not in the bin/hardware?