Thread: OBD II/ I Y Cable connection issue?

Carb and Points!

OBD II/ I Y Cable connection issue?

I have a cable I got from a friend that he bought from AKM a few years ago,
    been trying to connect to my PCM with tunerpro and datamaster TTS but not having luck,
    My PCM is a 95 lt1 , and I have the OBD II port. My cable has the y that goes to each style diag connector then to a black box that converts it over to a high Speed USB cable,
    When I go into tunerpro Rt and set it to com 3 it says it found the cable, then when I try to connect it says the DA connect box goes pinkish for a second then back to yellow and says not connected.
    same thing with Datamaster no connection to PCM.
    So Im confused am I using the wrong cable or is maybe my USB cable bad or d oI need some kind of a UART driver for my laptop. its a dell running XP so it should be fine. any help would be awesome, all I want to do is datalog.

Do you have the proper ADX loaded to Tuner Pro?

I'm not familiar with Datamaster to be able to help diagnose that one.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Carb and Points!
    I think so, i figure its gotta be my cable as it doesnt connect to any of the software I have.
    Tunerpro, Tunercats, and Datamaster TTS. when I plug it in it shows up as other device in device manager and says its a Ft 232r UART so I tried to download a driver for it but no luck. Think Im gonna try a usb to OBD2 cable my friend has and see if it connects.

Not sure the OBDII cable is going to help in an OBDI system... have you installed the latest FDTI drivers for these cable devices?

http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Carb and Points!
    Thanks that was it, I was trying uart drivers lol,
    many questions to go. first time to log some data

Carb and Points!
    So I monitored the system in Tunerpro and datamaster both they both work datamaster shows I have a code 97 VSS output voltage, it can be tuned out in tune, I have a different speedo from VDO so dont need the dk green/white wire for signal.
    As for my other issue my O2's look to be shot, stay around 450/480 and rev to 999 but never drop to 0 and the car stays in open loop. gonna install new o2's tonight and hope it fixes the issue might not need to tune this motor at all just get it into closed loop to see what it will do.

The code 97 may be keeping the PCM in open loop! Limp Home Mode. Fix that first...

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Carb and Points!
    So both O2 shot, lol too pig rich when we first started the car and then installed the tune to fix it. must of killed my O2's.
    got one good one from a friend to test the system and it shows it warms up and is ready but waiting now for two new o2's to show up. cant wait to feel this motor in closed loop!
    also going to either tune code 97 out or just do the resistor trick .