Thread: Tunning

Carb and Points!

Tunning

I want to learn to do basic tuning security off rear o2 off fan temp lower. Can someone help me and lead me to the best cable and software ideas. Going to swap a 04 5.3 and 4l60e into a 61 buick

Carb and Points!
    are you going to be messing around a lot, or just one set it and forget it? more than once, and will continue using a tuner, then HPTuners is my choice.
    ...we're all here for a short time, do it when they say to

Fuel Injected!
    Hello,

Sure. We can help. Lots to read around here. Also take a look at several You Tube videos for "LS Droid", "Tuner Pro RT" and "PCM Hammer". These are the basic tools for doing what you want to do and you will need to acquire either an Android phone or Kindle tablet because LS Droid uses Android/Bluetooth and PCM Hammer is a Windows program that also uses Bluetooth.

These two programs will also require you to buy an "OBDLink MX+" OBD2 Bluetooth interface module. This plugs into the OBD2 port and it is not a cable - about $100. A standard, fifteen buck EBAY OBD2 reader won't hack it here due to the computing demands and speeds required.

Go to the junk yard and pull about two feet of wiring for an OBD2 data link connector and another two feet of wiring for the two PCM connectors - you are about to build a bench programing harness. If your target PCM is a blue/green connector PCM then pull your junk yard wiring from one of those derelict vehicles. Ditto if your target PCM is a red /blue connector device.

The Internet / You Tube will help you for the construction of this bench harness and I power mine with a dependable three amp, 13.8 volt DC Radio Shack power supply, not a wall wart power supply. You need a reliable minimum of 1.5 amps at no less than 12.1 volts or risk bricking your target PCM.

Rick
    Last edited by B52Bombardier1; 03-07-2021 at 03:50 PM.
    1970 Chevy El Camino, LM7 Engine, 4L60E - Two 896 and two 0411 PCM's

Carb and Points!
    I will probably do it more than one time. I like building cars

Carb and Points!
    Quote Originally Posted by B52Bombardier1 View Post
    Hello,

Sure. We can help. Lots to read around here. Also take a look at several You Tube videos for "LS Droid", "Tuner Pro RT" and "PCM Hammer". These are the basic tools for doing what you want to do and you will need to acquire either an Android phone or Kindle tablet because LS Droid uses Android/Bluetooth and PCM Hammer is a Windows program that also uses Bluetooth.

These two programs will also require you to buy an "OBDLink MX+" OBD2 Bluetooth interface module. This plugs into the OBD2 port and it is not a cable - about $100. A standard, fifteen buck EBAY OBD2 reader won't hack it here due to the computing demands and speeds required.

Go to the junk yard and pull about two feet of wiring for an OBD2 data link connector and another two feet of wiring for the two PCM connectors - you are about to build a bench programing harness. If your target PCM is a blue/green connector PCM then pull your junk yard wiring from one of those derelict vehicles. Ditto if your target PCM is a red /blue connector device.

The Internet / You Tube will help you for the construction of this bench harness and I power mine with a dependable three amp, 13.8 volt DC Radio Shack power supply, not a wall wart power supply. You need a reliable minimum of 1.5 amps at no less than 12.1 volts or risk bricking your target PCM.

Rick

I will definitely go get the harness plugs out of junkyard. I have 2 weeks before my motor gets here a friend is bringing it down to me from Tennessee
    I will look tonight for the interface

Hello,

Rick
    Not trying to steal BigCountrydarrin's post, no need to ask the question again in another post. I'm also interested in doing just basic LS swap tunes for myself and others in my area. So my question is, will TunerPro Rt be all I need to make the changes I want to do, or is there other software I need to get? I already have my bench top harness made and tested. I'll be using a Windows based laptop and I have been playing with Tuner Pro.

Fuel Injected!
    Tuner Pro RT only has the ability to edit a BIN - it does no writing to the PCM that I'm familiar with. I then put my edited BIN onto my LS Droid-equipped Android devices and write them to the PCM. PCM Hammer version 15 on Windows can also do the reading and writing of BIN files.

So yes, you need another software app . . .

Rick
    1970 Chevy El Camino, LM7 Engine, 4L60E - Two 896 and two 0411 PCM's

Tuner Pro RT only has the ability to edit a BIN - it does no writing to the PCM that I'm familiar with. I then put my edited BIN onto my LS Droid-equipped Android devices and write them to the PCM. PCM Hammer version 15 on Windows can also do the reading and writing of BIN files.

So yes, you need another software app . . .

Rick
    Thanks. I've found PCM Hammer, but have been unable to load it on my computer, found the LS Droid for windows but was warned that it had malware file called Blacklist when I tried to download. Any good sites to get these from?