Thread: DUCK! I'm Back

DUCK! I'm Back

Some of you guys are probably still trying to forget what a PITA I was back in 2013 when I first started messing with my TBI 4.3 in my '40 Ford Pickup. Well 9 years and 30 thousand miles later, I'm back. This time I'm putting a non TBI 350/290 Horse smallblock in the truck. This is a Chevrolet crate motor with 25K on it and ran fine with the Holley 4bbl that and Mallory unilite dist. that was on it. I have been converting all of the hardware on the engine to run my TBI.

I have installed an adapter and a rebuilt 350 throttle body equipped with an adjustable fuel pressure regulator onto the Edelbrock Performer manifold. I have installed a TBI distributor and I have a chip from a 1990 GMC 1500 4x4. I have installed a new TPS , MAP, ESC and IAC. The block has also been drilled and tapped to accept the knock sensor in the same location it was in on the V6.

My question this time is the camshaft... This engine has the following cam: .450 intake lift .460 exhaust lift 222 intake and exhaust duration at .050 and 114 degree lobe separation. The computer I have has a service number of 1227747 and the chip is ASDU

I know this cam is more aggressive than a stock grind. What are my chances of it even running with these components? I have been doing some online research and I'm more confused than ever. I'm starting to think that the naysayers are just concerned that I'm not even thinking about wringing every last drop of power out of it. Other stuff I've read says it would work but not be optimal. The truck is running a 700r4 and 3.45 rear gears with a 27.4 inch tire.
    The engine is not in the truck and I'm getting skittish about going through the work of installing it only to find out I have built a dog.

Anyone care to school me?
    Last edited by 1great40; 03-05-2021 at 06:01 AM.

Administrator
    Hello. Welcome back.

That's a classic cam grind referred to as the "350/350" cam. That cam was popular for many years. The chances of that cam running are very good. I'm running a similar cam (350/327) in a smaller engine (302 ci) underneath a TBI system. Unfortunately the stock TBI calibration will not be optimal. With the stock calibration the truck will be doggish. Following Dave W's question, are you interested in doing your own tuning or are you likely to give the job to a hired gun?

Who's this Duck guy?

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the encouragement. If the truck runs and drives, I hoping to somehow get a chip made for it. I believe I have an old version of Tuner Port RT on my laptop. I vaguely recall hooking my laptop up to the ALDL OBD 1 connector under the dash when I first installed the V6.

If I can get that far again, can I read data from the engine and use that to tailor a new chip?

Tom

In the title of my thread, I was advising you guys to Duck because I'm back

Good afternoon,
    I was looking through this site last night. I was saddened to learn that Mark had passed away. He was a great help to me when I first got into TBI.

Tom

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1great40 View Post
    Good afternoon,
    I was looking through this site last night. I was saddened to learn that Mark had passed away. He was a great help to me when I first got into TBI.

Tom
    while i didn't have the honor of meeting him, i would imagine the spirit of what he started here lives on in the current administration.. they are always willing to help, and very knowledgeable.

Grum

Administrator
    In the title of my thread, I was advising you guys to Duck because I'm back
    Sorry... I have a strange sense of humor.

Mark was a great help to many. The fact that people are willing to stick around after they complete their project to help a few that are just starting out would have really pleased him.

If you are able to connect to your vehicle and record engine parameters this would help greatly in creating a custom tune.

Hi, I just downloaded the latest version of TunerPro,I'm not sure if I should have downloaded RT.I also found a connector... it has an ALDL on one end a short (2") cable and then a little box with a USB plug on it and 2 pins with a jumper. Is there a downloadable user manual? As I mentioned, the engine is still on a stand. It will be a few weeks until I will be able to try to run it. If I can download a user manual, it would be great to help me figure stuff out.

Tom
    Last edited by 1great40; 03-09-2021 at 03:29 AM.

TunerPro RT is the version used for Data Logging.

There are several option for an ALDL cable: Here's the link for the ALDL cable I use: http://aldlcable.com/products/aldlobd1u.asp

dave w

Dave, Thanks for the link. The cable illustrated is pretty much the same as what I have from the first time I installed TBI. I downloaded RT last night as well and kicked some bucks into the kitty. I appreciate the help you guys provide.

Tom

Attached is the 1227747 .adx file for TunerPro RT.

dave w
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    Attached is the 1227747 .adx file for TunerPro RT.

dave w
    Dave, thanks for the file. What can I do with it in TunerPro RT before I have my engine operating in the truck? Is there anything I can do to help me learn the functionality of the software?

Unfortunately, TunerPro RT is not Plug-n-Play.

Fortunately, YouTube has several video's on how to configure and use TunerPro RT. Here's a link to a YouTube video that might help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLRnRNapRN4

dave w