Thread: Hi from Nevada

Carb and Points!

Hi from Nevada

Hi everyone. I'm a car guy from northern Nevada that has been building projects for a long time. I grew up on a cattle ranch in Wyoming and learned to fix just about anything. That translated into a love for cars and motorcycles when I moved on to my career. I am a mechanical engineer that works in the gold mining industry and I have spent a significant part of my life modifying or fixing process plant equipment. I'm mostly a Ford guy and focus on first generation Broncos but I have put together all kinds of things. I have a good working knowledge of the first generation Ford MPFI. I have or am still building an EB for each of my children and all of them are fuel injected.

I sometimes have struggles with some of the quirks of the other OEM's EFI and found this site when I was looking for solutions to a problem a friend of mine is having with a 304 TPI that he has swapped into his CJ5. From browsing the forum, it looks like there is a ton of knowledge and help available here and I'm hoping that we will have the Jeep running smooth soon.

I'm more of a lurker than a poster, it took me 20 years to reach 1000 posts on the Bronco specific site I am a member of and that has been through a few frame-off rebuilds. Don't be surprised if I have a low post count for a long time.

Thanks in advance for the support and help I am sure this community will provide.

Regards
    Brad

It the TPI system MAF?

dave w

Carb and Points!
    Thank you for the welcome. The TPI system was a MAF from a Camaro. My friend bought the harness and computer from Howell EFI and they talked him into a MAF delete (whatever that is). The logic was that it would be better suited to fit under the CJ5 hood and was more than adequate for a camping/hunting rig. I assume they have programmed the ECM and/or PROM for some sort of speed density operation.

I personally prefer the MAF systems, but I have installed a couple of Ford speed density set-ups over the years because it's what the donor had in it. Once they are up and running they are extremely reliable and well suited to off-road use.

Howell's tech support has been extremely reliable but not real successful and we can't get the engine to stay running. It cranks, starts and immediately dies. We have been through every possible scenario with Howell including power confirmations during crank, injector replacements, distributor replacements, etc. Now Howell is saying "maybe we forgot to disable the VATS". We will probably get a new PROM before the weekend is out and try again. Getting registered here is my back-up plan in case Howell doesn't solve the problem.

Gearhead-efi information for TPI Speed Density: http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...Information-8D

For the advanced tuner, log file analyzer is an awesome tool for Speed Density ( analyzes exported .csv file from TunerPro RT). See attached .zip file.

The Howell System is a good system. Tuning the Howell TPI System with Log file analyzer will make the Howell System the best it can be.

Installing a Vehicle Speed Sensor is a MUST for the TPI Speed Density!

The best PROM Chips are Tuned, not mail ordered.

dave w
    Attached Files Attached Files