Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25

Thread: Its Love at first sight

  1. #1
    Electronic Ignition!
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Age
    61
    Posts
    15

    Its Love at first sight

    So a good friend has been working on a 1970 C-10 (Blue truck on the left) for a couple of years now. Full frame off resto new floors, bed, cab corrners,glass, interior, all new suspension & brake hardware. He had it running carbureted but has fallen in love with a chrome TPI and wants to get it to work on the 350/350 turbo that's in the truck. The TPI kit is from an early aftermarket company (out of business) located in Mena Arkansas called Street & Performance. it is a complete "Competition" kit with 1227165 ECU, MAP, distributor, wiring harness, inline fuel pump & relay it does not have wiring for ALDL connector or O2 sensor. For cruising it utilizes a multi position knob located in the cab for manual fuel adjustment. Our goal is to get this thing to run and idle on its own we want to add ALDL O2 ECT IAT and use the Moates stuff to program/datalog we are up for adding/re-pinning the ECU/wiring harness or using a different ECU whatever you guys think would work best.

    A little more about the truck:
    3:42 posi from a cammero He thinks it has a VSS sensor in the pumpkin
    turbo 350 2800 stall
    small block light boring 355 CID (donated by another friend who built it in high school)
    iron heads 2.02.intake 1.95 exhaust
    1.5 roller rockers
    Cam is sort of a mystery were told its a factory "Pink" cam (whatever that means)purchased from GM in the early-mid seventies pulls around 14" vacuum lopy idle
    long tube headers (not sure about the primary tube size)

    I'm a ford guy with some Moates quarter horse/Binary editor experience tuning EEC IVs (I have 2 T-bird Super Coupes) but nothing on the GM side
    • IMG_3600.jpg (84.5 KB)
    • IMG_3601.jpg (92.5 KB)
    • IMG_3602.jpg (102.6 KB)
    • IMG_3603.jpg (103.3 KB)
    • IMG_3610.jpg (142.9 KB)
    • IMG_3611.jpg (119.8 KB)
    • IMG_3612.jpg (113.1 KB)
    • IMG_3613.jpg (74.7 KB)
    • IMG_3614.jpg (135.3 KB)
    • IMG_3615.jpg (123.4 KB)
    • IMG_3616.jpg (135.0 KB)
    • IMG_3618.jpg (105.0 KB)
    • IMG_3624.jpg (51.1 KB)
    • IMG_3623.jpg (115.0 KB)
    • IMG_3627.jpg (86.9 KB)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Motohead; 02-20-2021 at 07:53 AM. Reason: clarification

  2. #2
    Fuel Injected!
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Age
    55
    Posts
    577
    Hiya, cool project.
    The '165 puter(86-89) can work but was intended to use a MAF. I would personally start with the later (90-92) tpi '7730 puter which is speed density. You'll have to mod the harness you have a bit. You might read up on that, I think you will be happier and easier to do.
    -Carl

  3. #3
    Electronic Ignition!
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Age
    61
    Posts
    15
    yea im reading the 165 also has data connection issues with the Moates stuff I'd rather avoid that so for a 7730 ill need to find different connectors
    Last edited by Motohead; 02-20-2021 at 10:25 AM.

  4. #4
    Fuel Injected!
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Age
    55
    Posts
    577
    Yes, make sure to get extra terminals.
    -Carl

  5. #5
    Electronic Ignition!
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Age
    61
    Posts
    15
    what about spark/timing will I need to find a crank trigger setup for the old 350 or can I use the existing distributor

    IMG_3609.jpg (48.5 KB)
    Attached Images Attached Images

  6. #6
    Fuel Injected!
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Age
    35
    Posts
    356
    that "vss in the pumpkin" is most likely an speed sensor for 3 channel ABS setup, I don't think it will work for the ecm.

    You don't need a crank trigger, it's batch fire so a gm ICM is fine. your dist will work, but I would personally run a small cap HEI vs the large cap. there are different latency settings depending on which distributor you use, so make sure you get that correct.

  7. #7
    Super Moderator dave w's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    5,799
    1990 - 92 Camaro TPI used Small Cap HEI
    1990 - 91 Corvette TPI use the Large Cap HEI

    Personal preference, I avoid Vette .bin files when possible.

    The black 24 pin / 32 pin connectors 1227165 and 1227730 are the same (pinout are different), just a yellow connector is needed for a 1227165 to 1227730 upgrade.


    dave w

  8. #8
    Fuel Injected!
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Euless, TX
    Posts
    2,069
    Quote Originally Posted by In-Tech View Post
    Hiya, cool project.
    The '165 puter(86-89) can work but was intended to use a MAF. I would personally start with the later (90-92) tpi '7730 puter which is speed density. You'll have to mod the harness you have a bit. You might read up on that, I think you will be happier and easier to do.
    I personally like the Australian $12P MAP code that runs in the 165 over the 7730 myself. It has been re-engineered to do alot of cool things. I have run a couple and never had a data issue.
    Last edited by Fast355; 02-21-2021 at 09:44 AM.

  9. #9
    Fuel Injected!
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Euless, TX
    Posts
    2,069
    Quote Originally Posted by tayto View Post
    that "vss in the pumpkin" is most likely an speed sensor for 3 channel ABS setup, I don't think it will work for the ecm.

    You don't need a crank trigger, it's batch fire so a gm ICM is fine. your dist will work, but I would personally run a small cap HEI vs the large cap. there are different latency settings depending on which distributor you use, so make sure you get that correct.
    Personal preference here as well but I converted from the small cap to the large cap. The large cap proved to be more durable.

  10. #10
    Fuel Injected!
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Euless, TX
    Posts
    2,069
    Cam sounds like it is possibly a L82 cam. I ran one in a TBI 305 with ported TPI heads and was able to tune it to run very well. Not alot of low-speed power but ran extremely well with a 700r4 that had a 2,800 rpm converter and 3.73 gears.

  11. #11
    Super Moderator Six_Shooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    2,945
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast355 View Post
    I personally like the Australian $12P MAP code that runs in the 165 over the 7730 myself. It has been re-engineered to do alot of cool things. I have run a couple and never had a data issue.
    I was going to suggest this as well.

    Back to the original topic...

    From what I've seen S&P did some pretty hacky shit to get TPIs to run on as few sensors as possible, which would work, but would not be optimal.

    I'd start with a GM Bin or $12P as suggested above, if the '165 is going to be kept, which will work just fine.

    The hardest part about switching to a '7730, which is also a good choice, there's some good code that will run on the '7730, but the hardest thing about that switch is to find a proper V8 MEMCAL, not just a modified V6 one. The knock filter is part of the MEMCAL and is specific to different engines. The modified V6 MEMCALs do work, but the knock sensing will likely not be optimal.

    Then there are aftermarket options as well.

    Wait... Is that the MEMCAL they suggest you use? If so, there's no EPROM in that MEMCAL, meaning that the ECU is running in LHM (Limp Home Mode), that's even worse than I had ever heard about S&P...
    Last edited by Six_Shooter; 02-21-2021 at 10:12 AM.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

  12. #12
    Electronic Ignition!
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Age
    61
    Posts
    15
    Roger That ! In-Tech
    Last edited by Motohead; 02-21-2021 at 08:27 PM.

  13. #13
    Electronic Ignition!
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Age
    61
    Posts
    15
    Rats Tayto do we need a VSS to run the 165? Good news on the crank trigger (what I'm seeing the aftermarket ones for the 350 were pricy) since we have a large cap I'd like to run with that one if it will work
    Last edited by Motohead; 02-21-2021 at 08:29 PM.

  14. #14
    Electronic Ignition!
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Age
    61
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    1990 - 92 Camaro TPI used Small Cap HEI
    1990 - 91 Corvette TPI use the Large Cap HEI

    Personal preference, I avoid Vette .bin files when possible.

    The black 24 pin / 32 pin connectors 1227165 and 1227730 are the same (pinout are different), just a yellow connector is needed for a 1227165 to 1227730 upgrade.


    dave w
    Can I use the 165 Aussie bin with the large cap we already have?

  15. #15
    Electronic Ignition!
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Age
    61
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by Six_Shooter View Post
    I was going to suggest this as well.

    Back to the original topic...

    From what I've seen S&P did some pretty hacky shit to get TPIs to run on as few sensors as possible, which would work, but would not be optimal.

    I'd start with a GM Bin or $12P as suggested above, if the '165 is going to be kept, which will work just fine.

    The hardest part about switching to a '7730, which is also a good choice, there's some good code that will run on the '7730, but the hardest thing about that switch is to find a proper V8 MEMCAL, not just a modified V6 one. The knock filter is part of the MEMCAL and is specific to different engines. The modified V6 MEMCALs do work, but the knock sensing will likely not be optimal.

    Then there are aftermarket options as well.

    Wait... Is that the MEMCAL they suggest you use? If so, there's no EPROM in that MEMCAL, meaning that the ECU is running in LHM (Limp Home Mode), that's even worse than I had ever heard about S&P...
    I like what he says. I think this will keep costs down we can run what we have

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-18-2021, 05:00 PM
  2. Absolutely love this site!!!
    By n0t2l8 in forum Introductions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-13-2020, 04:34 PM
  3. OH MAN I LOVE SWAP MEETS!!!
    By damanx in forum Gear Heads
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-30-2014, 05:47 PM
  4. great sight
    By mdj in forum Introductions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-20-2012, 04:52 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •