Thread: Requesting System Readiness Monitor results.

Fuel Injected!

Requesting System Readiness Monitor results.

Trying to understand how the system readiness monitors work. With commercial tools, you can click a button and it will show you all of the "results". These results are for both non-continuous monitors as well as continuous monitors. Looking over the different modes, it looks like mode 6 is for non-continuous while mode 7 is for the continuous. Does anyone know how these two modes work?

I know how to request a PID (basic mode 1), but not quite sure how to create a request to get a mode 6 or 7 request. I am guessing that you also have to poll each of the different type of monitors instead of just saying show me all the non-continuous results.

Fuel Injected!
    SAE J2190—Enhanced E/E Diagnostic Test Modes
    This document probably has the information you desire :)
    -Carl

Fuel Injected!
    Actually, it looks like SAE J1979 specifically deals with modes 00-0F but I think you will enjoy J2190 too ;)

edit, added some notes from J1979, can't post much due to copyright.

6 Diagnostic service definition for ISO 9141-2, ISO 14230-4, and SAE J1850................................. 32
    6.1 Service $01 — Request current powertrain diagnostic data.............................................. ............ 32
    6.2 Service $02 — Request powertrain freeze frame data.............................................. ...................... 37
    6.3 Service $03 — Request emission-related diagnostic trouble codes............................................. 41
    6.4 Service $04 — Clear/reset emission-related diagnostic information ............................................ 46
    6.5 Service $05 — Request oxygen sensor monitoring test results .................................................. . 48
    6.6 Service $06 — Request on-board monitoring test results for specific monitored systems....... 53
    6.7 Service $07 - Request emission-related diagnostic trouble codes detected during current or
    last completed driving cycle............................................. .................................................. ............... 58
    6.8 Service $08 — Request control of on-board system, test or component..................................... 59
    6.9 Service $09 — Request vehicle information .................................................. .................................. 62
    7 Diagnostic service definition for ISO 15765-4 .................................................. ............................... 75
    7.1 Service $01 — Request current powertrain diagnostic data.............................................. ............ 75
    7.2 Service $02 — Request powertrain freeze frame data.............................................. ...................... 81
    7.3 Service $03 — Request emission-related diagnostic trouble codes............................................. 86
    7.4 Service $04 — Clear/reset emission-related diagnostic information ............................................ 89
    7.5 Service $05 — Request oxygen sensor monitoring test results .................................................. . 90
    7.6 Service $06 — Request on-board monitoring test results for specific monitored systems....... 91
    7.7 Service $07 — Request emission-related diagnostic trouble codes detected during current or
    last completed driving cycle............................................. .................................................. ............. 101
    7.8 Service $08 — Request control of on-board system, test or component................................... 102
    7.9 Service $09 — Request vehicle information .................................................. ................................ 106
    7.10 Service $0A — Request emission-related diagnostic trouble codes with permanent status
    after a Clear/reset emission-related diagnostic information service .......................................... 116
    Last edited by In-Tech; 02-19-2021 at 11:29 PM. Reason: added j1979 bit of info
    -Carl

Fuel Injected!
    In-Tech,

Thanks for the help. I have access to a copy of J1979, and had seen the different modes listed before. That was why I figured that I needed to understand how mode $06 and $07 worked. I have never heard of J2190, but need to find a copy of it to read too.

One more quick question, as this might help clarify things. I am trying to better understand how the OBD II plug-in emissions check works when you get a car inspected. Reading about what gets checked, the first things are the VIN # any OBD II codes. The next part I believe is the monitoring results. This is where I am trying learn what is getting checked, and how it is reported. I know for say EFILive, they have a System Readiness Test results tab that you can click. It shows you the different monitors and if they are supported or not ... and if they are supported, if they are ready or not. Would these results still come from a mode $06 / $07 request? Or is there a different thing that is being checked?