Thread: 5.7 TBI , been here done even 383 19mpg 13.2 w/1619747...easy... 1227747 I'M Stumped

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Electronic Ignition!

5.7 TBI , been here done even 383 19mpg 13.2 w/1619747...easy... 1227747 I'M Stumped

This new build (same yank 4.3) BJLH w/16197427 tweaked that was fantastic for my exact same TBI Vortechs, 204/214 too many mods BEFORE the 383 that got 19mpgs and 13.2 qtr and I was thinkin I knew what I was doing. Fast forward to 1989 c1500 4.3 w/TURBO 400?!?! easy peasy... This 1227747 is a dinosaur. I've actually wiped proms for days , HAVE a AMUR it runs like ;( on and i'm not quite sure what i should do. Borrowed a ARJT complete just to check and it ran WAAAAYY better till I floored it and Then NADA. Had to clear flood it but still stranded(not far) .Question : I'm committing to the socket solder in but not quite sure about starting addreses. Still have old custom bins from before but this crazy thing has a Turbo $00 with a fuel module /ESC on top of dist module...... what to do first. disable everything but what about this weird trans slipping or TCC issue. Before my time I'm 4l60e. I can do a lockup off coolant but i can't definitively understand is it TCC or 2-3Detent /oil/coolant/pulling timing?????

Electronic Ignition!
    BTW it started and broke the cam in without much fuss, blm +/- 5-8 1500-1700 for 30 mins and all looked good /temp. It had an air pump but the 4.3 proms gone. The only one I can just slap in is the AMUR, too much going on for soldering as of now. Fixing MAYHEW Tundra #%mm whell studs....BTW the $42 code for the AMUR does NOT look correct but all bcc were correct, perhaps it's not $42 xdf. havent messed with new ADS.stuff, Would LOVE to get rid of the ESC on top of the alreadt ESC or Whatever they used to call that stupid module. I'll be keeping EGR, but will disable to figure out. BTW it was Flooding bad when stalled so I'm figuring it's a setting in XDF im not used to. ANY advice on this 400 with might/might not have detent/downshift/TCC/ ?
    Last edited by TeamSlewis3; 02-18-2021 at 01:12 PM.

Electronic Ignition!
    Good idea to upgrade but I truly wouldn't see the point in it. If he had a 4l60 and Engine mods maybe , but he's just a guy gettin rid of a V6 leaking from every gasket and slappin and bouncing timing chain. Heck I THOUGHT I was doin him a favor with a fresh proven 350 engine at least. Turns out I handed myself a learning curve BEAT DOWN with old, (i started in 92) halfway vortech 4.3 coupled to Turbo400's which I cant even wrap my head around since I worked for GM from 94-2004 , buddy blew my IROC 305 so in 96' it got a fully roller vortech headed 350 ( carb :( but still had lock-up) and back then in the NM oil feild industry I never saw such an animal. So I'm not even sure what I'm seing in the schematic, depending on which i look at. Guy NEVER mentioned anything about trans issues but lo-n-behold it goes 1-2-seems like 3 then pop....freewheel. I see this detent diagram but it looks like kickdown to me, so could just swapping engines snapped the governor gear like the old ones and my chip tuning is fine, or does it all tie together on the ESC operating charachteristics and throttle delta? Oh, and sorry but my mind goes numb and I loose days in here so if the answers simple I'm all for the EASY button. Although the 28 pin adapters in and I've plenty of bins. 1 wierd thing...the AMUR I broke it in with never threw a code. When he brought back for trans issue I used the ARJT and it ran great,and sometimes I try to blow things up so i drove it with the CEL blinkin at me but I figured it was looking for 700r4 and allthe evap and purge was disconnected, ran great till decel throttle stall then flood on hot start, I'm trying the ADYR next but if anyones got my answer.... I'm very generous with praise and kudos especially when it'll get my churchgoing freinds ride back!
    Last edited by TeamSlewis3; 03-12-2021 at 10:02 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    Unplug the kickdown wire on the TH400 and see if the issue goes away. They used the lockup programming to control the kickdown relay. If you are trying to use a 700r4 bin when the programming tries to lock the converter of what it thinks is the 700r4, it will force the TH400 to downshift. Been there, done that. Start with a 350/TH400 bin. They are odd but they exist. I have an 87 G20 that was a 305 TBI and a TH400.

Electronic Ignition!
    Got it and trying to head that direction. Can only find AHWZ 5.7 W/t400 & I can only assume nightmares of trying to turn what off. I'm abit rusty and yes the 700 was in my datastream of the earlier attempt. Question: I remember injector offsets and setting cylinder volume but couldnt locate. It ran but was lean and I could see spark knock. Also I'm tryin to wrap head around this ABS module controlling that kickdown relay and why not just use TPS voltage... why??

Electronic Ignition!
    BTW WE WAS DOIN THIS ME N YOU 15 YRS AGO....YOU N THAT VAN :)

Electronic Ignition!
    and did it happen to take out the ecm drivers? I've since rewired but it's done something i'll call bad. and I dont feel like diaging whether it's ECM,or ESC . I'm almost fixing to convert it to run updated ignition and get away with that $$ obsolete ESC. Cranks and runs fine but has no power which i assume is timing over the 450. WHAT HEI !!!!! use the pickup for the injectors... sweet . $58