Thread: HI! - LS1 Swap into C4 Corvette

Carb and Points!

HI! - LS1 Swap into C4 Corvette

Hello,

I'm not new to working on cars...I've collected too many (says my wife). I have a background in computers and swapping the older L98/ECM into an 83 jaguar. But, that said, I just started a new project LS1 swap into a 1991 C4 corvette. The current L98 makes a nice percussive thump at startup....well...time for that swap to happen (sorry honey). The doner engine casting is 12562174 with the 24X relucter (black crank sensor) which (I think) was from a VIN G Camaro. I'm in the process of purchasing some refresh items for the engine: rings, bearings, lifters/trays. It has been a bit of a challenge to make sure that everything is for that VIN. Even the replacement cam bearings have a couple of different sizes for early or late Gen III's. Since I'm on a budget; I'm not planning on a new cam or building enough power to kill the Dana 36 rear-end (but plan on a 44 later). I'm also on the fence about even upgrading the trunions. The list of items to throw out an replace on an LS engine is long and expensive (in my opinion). But, the biggest hurdle will be implementing the 4l60E. The computer was tuned for a manual and the harness isn't pinned for an automatic (I purchased these from a friend). I bought a 4l60E pigtail, a vcxnano (and an obdlx for lstuner- after reviewing some threads on segment swapping) and want to segment swap in the automatic settings....or (if that won't work) program in a new bin/xdf for a circa 2000 camaro (which is what I believe the doner car was). Anyway, I'm happy to be on the board and anxious to share my experiences during this swap with others. I'm planning on staying tucked-indoors for now since the temps are -15 here in Kansas. Just collecting the bits and pieces for this swap and will be doing some of the engine work out in the garage.

Sincerely, Brad Winter, O.P Kansas

Gearhead-efi link for LS swaps: http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...2-OBDII-Tuning

Possibly in the link posted, there is a factory Drive by Cable .bin file for a 2000 Camaro LS1 / 4L60E.

dave w

Carb and Points!
    Hi Dave,

Most of my previous experience revolved around a prom burner. I'm a complete newbie when it comes to programming the newer 411 pcm with bin/xdf files. I've been reading through the posts in the efi and tuning sections to get up to speed. I appreciate the help...Thank you!