Thread: 95 Silverado. The fun starts now.

Fuel Injected!

95 Silverado. The fun starts now.

Ive been in and out of the tbi game for a few years now. Even dabbled in megasquirt.
    However, that was before my 64 got totalled and i got sorta scrambled in the dome.

So, im going into this as a if i were a complete newb. I can't reliably trust what i think i remember, and have no notes or saved links to remind myself of where to start.

That being said, heres where im at.

I have a 1995 c1500. 5.7 4l60e. 2wd.
    The 4l60e has turned into a bucket of neutrals. It is confirmed trans failure.

I have purchased a parts truck. 1997 c2500. It has the 4l80e, crossmember, driveshaft, coolers and lines and everything mechanical i should need for the swap. For $200, i couldn't pass it up. Rod knock, they kept the sercice body and new tires, etc. Parts truck.

I understand that to do the swap i will need to either get a trans harness adapter or repin the 4l60e connector. I have a link from here on that.
    I also understand i will need a new chip for the 4l80e. I can't use the one from the parts truck, as its a vortec not tbi.

The chip is where im really struggling mentally. I still have my aldl cable, moates burner, laptop and tunerpro.

I know i will need a 4l80e bin. Do i need to locate a stock chip to retain the limp features and such? Or can i use the 4l60e memcal with an adapter and new chip?
    Also, which adapter and chip do i need?

Is there a good tutorial these days for a newb that barely uses Microsoft office? Id like to go through it all again from "turn on computer ".

While i have the trans down, im going to be doing a bunch of maintenance
    I'll also be installing long tube headers. a high flow cat, true 3 inch exhaust (yay parts truck!), and electric fans.

Im wondering if theres a canned tune for this setup. My guess is no. Which means that I will need to learn datalogging and such again. Fans i plan to do a manifold mounted thermostatic switch, as i can't seem to find where this computer could control them. God, If there was someone good nearby....

Administrator
    Welcome to the forum.

$200 sounds like a screaming deal. If the engine is a 5.7 it's possible the rod knock is a cracked flexplate. I've seen that a few times.

There may be a stock tune for a 1/2 ton with 4L80E or for a 3/4 or 1 ton with 4L80E. Get the service number from your pcm. That will really help. A common pcm service number is 16197427.
    There may be a way to control electric fans with the computer. It depends, again, on the service number.

I'm not sure about an Office tutorial that fits the bill. Most of them assume some basic knowledge of how to use Windows. Also, Office is such a big collection of tools that most of what it does won't be useful. Maybe it would be better to find help for the exact tools you want to use.

Fuel Injected!
    Ah. Sorry. Misworded that i think.
    Im competent in basic windows and Microsoft office operations, and pretty good with google. Thats the basis of knowledge im comfortable working from, as i have gotten that solid since the accident. Becoming a desk jockey when the world shut down helped a lot.

This one is definitely rod knock. Very glittery oil. Im probably going to replace the flexplate regardless, as ive seen it quite a few times.

Fuel Injected!
    BNMK is a 5.7L TBI & 4L80E cal I believe.
    Last edited by tayto; 02-10-2021 at 11:18 PM.

Fuel Injected!
    So, changing to a differed code, like bjdr: do i need to worry about the stock memcal stuff? I have the moates adapter combo kit on order with some chips.

Im leaning heavily on this post, as it seems to contain almost all the non-mechanical stuff i need for the swap, with success. Especially the wiring.

I have a 7427 in the truck at this time.

Im starting in on the how tos here tonight if i can. Seems like a good place to start with the basics.

Step one, in my mind, is re-learning the software enough to select the right files, load them, and burn them to a chip to get the truck running and driving on stock electronics. Before messing with anything or trying to tune anything.
    Right?

And should i keep this stuff here, or somewhere else?

Fuel Injected!
    Start with a stock calibration that matches or closely matches what you're drivetrain combo (such as BNMK), you will then need to "burn a chip" with this calibration and install it into your current PCM. As for the 4L80E swap i think you might have to move a wire or 2 around in the STOCK 4L60E connector. This is a straight forward swap as long as you have the equipment to burn tour own chips.

Fuel Injected!
    Found all the information for swapping the pins (wiring harness diagrams and a write up)

With going from $0d to $0e, will using the original $0d memcal fpr the knock and lomp modes cause trouble with putting the moats adapter in and a chip burned for $0e? Like some sore of communication or language barrier that makes everything do wierd crap?

Im reading through all the tutorials again, and have tunerpro, the bin, xdf, and ads all up and running again. But i cant sem to see how to actually BURN the chip with tunerpro and moates burner.

Also, im going to make my moates order today for the adapter, socket, and chips. What chips do i need?