Thread: Looking to build a 84 corvette 5.7 crosssfire any suggestions

Carb and Points!

Looking to build a 84 corvette 5.7 crosssfire any suggestions

I just bought a 84 corvette with a 5.7 crossfire double tbi any suggestions i know the heads and intake are junk highly restrictive it needs a cam but dont know the size until i flow test the heads has anyone done a crossfire how am i going to get the fuel required to run this thing

Fuel Injected!
    early 454 injectors, extrude hone the intake(that's the restrictor, not the heads and sand blast the inside to roughen after extrude hone) and the rest is pretty standard buildup. Ditch the stock 'puter and do at least a '7747.
    -Carl

Carb and Points!
    Thanks carl what about cam

Administrator
    Ohhh... Asking about Crossfire Injection is kind of like asking about the Illuminati. The information you seek is out there, but the average person cannot help you in your quest.

Crossfire was built to create a torque peak at low rpm with low lift, emissions and computer friendly parts. It has long runners with small cross-sectional area, a relatively small plenum, and EGR. This configuration worked fairly well with numerically low final drive ratios and relatively lightweight cars such as the Vette. It can provide good fuel economy and good reliability but it is not friendly to making high horsepower.

Looking for more performance can entail a few different routes toward success. The typical hotrodder path is to move the torque peak to higher rpm. This requires improving airflow throughout the engine and supplying enough fuel to make use of the air. This can also include changing the final drive ratio to a numerically higher ratio to better match the engine's torque peak to desired acceleration. This manifold quickly turns the Return on Investment into a low number when attempting large airflow gains.

The other approach is to follow GM's lead and build for improved torque at low rpm. Since Crossfire already has long runners which are beneficial to a low rpm torque peak, and since the vehicle is already built to work with the engine, it seems like this is a good route to follow if you want a mild build. Look for cams with high lift and early valve timing for a low rpm power peak. Roller cams can offer more aggressive profiles and greater ramp rates. Keep compression up and quench down and if possible move to a cylinder head with a fast burn chamber. Open up the intake runners as Carl mentioned and if you have the ambition and means, remove the EGR tube. Switch to a 7427 ecm for a better controller and store the stock Vette 'puter away as there are very few people around who can chip that one. (Anyone know if Ron Zimmer still makes tunes?) Cam choices for flat tappets might include XE249H or 260XFI-H13. Switching to hydraulic roller, the 260XFI-HR13 might work well.

Over the years there have been some very interesting crossfire projects and a number of passionate, or dedicated, or maybe just plain crazy Crossfire fans have achieved impressive results with this system. If you are interested in looking at what other folks have done, you should make friends with the Wayback Machine.

There was a Crossfire specific forum at http://www.crossfire.homeip.net/ or http://www.crossfire.webhop.net/. Some of the pages from that forum may have been saved in the Internet Archive but unfortunately it doesn't look like all of the forum was archived. Maybe the archived site is accessible with a valid username and password?

Once upon a time a company named DCS was manufacturing their own Crossfire specific intakes, The Renegade. Lots of work went into this project and a number of manifolds were sold. Maybe there are a few floating around today?

You can read about a number of crossfire manifold and TB improvements here.

Digital Corvettes is still active and has a number of archived threads regarding Crossfire performance.

I've had a Crossfire system since the mid '80s. It was removed from an '83 F car long before custom tuning was easily available. In '92 or '93 I installed it on a mild 302 in my '57 pickup with a copy of the 350hp 327 Corvette cam. It's travelled across country, worked and pulled trailers, been driven in all kinds of different weather with very few problems. If I ever get excited about upgrades I have an SY1 intake I can use to retire the mostly stock Crossfire system.

Carb and Points!
    Thanks for the info 1 project 2 many i will research those places

Fuel Injected!
    Hi Jason,
    I used to work for Erson cams and am glad to talk about camshaft design any time. People on the interweb like to argue about cams, so I don't usually comment. I sell custom cams that work, lol. Just a quick note that you can't compare numbers between manufacturer's, even @.050".

It's the heart of the engine, and is not a simple subject.
    -Carl

Administrator
    Personally, I am always interested in learning. The tools I have available for camshaft selection are limited and I only use them for suggestions.

Fuel Injected!
    Unless this is a collectors deal- and with you screwing with it - I doubt it, convert to a single TBI and EBL or TPI, should be dirt cheap units out there and a ton of info on Thirdgen.org. Lots of power in a properly prepped TBI. X fire is probably unpopular for a reason. Come to think of it- I believe EBL has an option for X fire, your biggest tool here is a decent cam and ecu.

Seems like I seen a few of those aftermarket intakes floating around ebay but that was years ago. There is actually a crossfire corvette in my local pick and pull. still fairly complete
    1986 Pontiac Bonneville 305/2004r rebuilt and 3.42 rear gears.
    1999 9C3 Lumina L67 .4T65E-hd
    2004 E250 5.4r75w dana 60 rear with 3.73 gears

Fuel Injected!
    Look up a user name Buccaneer on the Corvetteforum too. He's an expert on them, considering he was owner of DCS and now owns XFirePerformance.com.

Here's one of his posts on the status of the Renegade intake.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1602541549

Basically, he can't find a foundry to pour them that won't cost too much.

Fuel Injected!
    I haven't been over to the corvette forum in a long long time. I assume the guy already tried Buddy Bar https://buddybarcasting.com/
    -Carl

Fuel Injected!
    I have no idea. Drop over to XFirePerformance.com and suggest them.

Electronic Ignition!
    Not to be a downer or anything but my first Z28 was an 82' Pacecar crossfire. Cool when the flaps opened. fast downhill, had ta put a cam in at 48k. they are unique but there is a reason GM only made them 2 years. SHAFTS and all linkage hard to keep adjusted and vacuum sealed up. Alas Tuned port with its 50 bolts......still loved them. Both done around 4500-4800. But if your determined they are rare and unique. Right now I'm opting for the 85'Z28 tuned Port setup I've had since 96' to use on a 4x4 Z71 383 and see what happens. But first let me say I've got a bud in Tyler Tx and thats all he does is corvettes. I can ask if he's willing to talk n give you his buis #.