Thread: New to TBI

Carb and Points!

New to TBI

Well, as the title says I am new to TBI systems. Had them on a truck or two but I am now thinking I might want to convert my old elcamino to TBI. I have read a few posts on what to look for and what I need. I found a 89 caprice and pulled the whole harness out of that. But where to go from here? I suppose I need to find a wiring diagram and start figuring out what wires I need to keep and what can go. Anyone have a step by step write-up on this process?

Link to gearhead-efi 89 Caprice schematics: http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...Information-61

dave w

Carb and Points!
    Thank you Dave!

Carb and Points!
    I suppose, before I get to far into it I should ask is this the best donor? I have read it is the easiest to use as a conversion due to it not being integrated into the dash harness, but is it a good one to start with? I work at a wrecking yard and have access to 90's trucks for parts too.

Quote Originally Posted by kmac View Post
    I suppose, before I get to far into it I should ask is this the best donor? I have read it is the easiest to use as a conversion due to it not being integrated into the dash harness, but is it a good one to start with? I work at a wrecking yard and have access to 90's trucks for parts too.
    There are many opinions about a good TBI system to start with . . . my opinion would be to start with the 2nd generation TBI computer 16197427: http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...Information-0D

dave w

Carb and Points!
    Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    There are many opinions about a good TBI system to start with . . . my opinion would be to start with the 2nd generation TBI computer 16197427: http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...Information-0D

dave w
    If I decided to just get a harness (instead of hacking up a factory one and play peek-a-boo with broken connectors, wires, etc) who would you suggest getting a harness from? Howell? Affordable? Do you make them? FYI I live in Vancouver.

I build custom OBD1 and OBD2 harnesses. It's challenging to be price competitive vs. the "Cookie Cut" harness suppliers like Performance Systems, Howell or Affordable. The "Cookie Cut" suppliers get discounted prices from suppliers due to their higher production.

One of the more challenging decisions for a TBI system is what TBI computer is the best fit for the project, cost vs. features. The 1227747 is often the low cost option, because it's common and well supported by the aftermarket. The 1227747 is very basic.

The second generation TBI computer 16197427 and Dynamic EFI Flash II are vastly improved TBI computers vs. 1227747.

It's challenging to compare the Pro's vs. Con's of an aftermarket computer like Dynamic EFI Flash II vs. the factory 16197427.

dave w