Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: data logging with ls1, obdx pro vt, and tunerpro rt

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Trgrhpy View Post
    Ive attached a pic of a log, mostly concerned with knock. It seems as if knock appears after egr commanded past 70%. Maybe egr should be disabled.
    The ecu in the car is the 411 replacement for the original ecu with an older os that remains stock for replacement back to stock or for california emmissions. I also added a wire and momentary switch to c71 to enable the performance option. I believe the attached log is after triggering the perf button, i have another log with much less knock that Ill post also. I haven't adjusted any engine parameters, only trans and TCC so far. But with this second ecu I may as well learn and look at timing, fuel, spark and any other tweaks that might make sense since returning to stock is so easy! I'll also post the bin and xdf so if it helps anyone else its there for the taking. Thanks again.Attachment 17898Turns out I cannot upload a .csv file.
    i found the low performance knock log
    Attached Images Attached Images

Fuel Injected!
    I think this is labelled knock retard incorrectly. It should be retard, and it can originate from high number of tables and conditions.

I guess in this case it pulls timing due to tcc or something. If the performance options is set for towing, no wonder it cuts timing.

Fuel Injected!

Performance Programs

Quote Originally Posted by kur4o View Post
    I think this is labelled knock retard incorrectly. It should be retard, and it can originate from high number of tables and conditions.

I guess in this case it pulls timing due to tcc or something. If the performance options is set for towing, no wonder it cuts timing.
    The performance tables for example shift pressures, are 90 Lbs in all fields, when in normal or cruise are varied increasing from 10 - 90Lbs.
    Shift mph, in performance table, are all 255mph. In normal/cruise vary from 15 - 37mph. It seems like performance would be max numbers for all cells. I believe Trans Am's were the only car with a performance manual switch, so I thought performance meant performance not towing.
    There are tables ie:1_2_4WD_Low_Detent_RPM in t-shift-tables and all 4wd tables have 0's, i assume to mean disabled or not applicable. I guess the 4wd tables are there for truck applications, so the same os could be used in trucks and cars. Thanks for your assistance, I really appreciate it!

Fuel Injected!

Just an update, looking foryour thoughts

i attached 4 pics of data logging. I see some of the numbers dont seem correct. I looked for high tps and high rpms and high gear. With those mostly high, columns like vehicle speed obviously are incorrect. How do most of the other numbers look to you accurate or not. I have done some ve table smoothing but not a lot of changing numbers yet. Fuel trims seem calmer (if accurate) and knock, either logged or audible, seems minimal. Interested to hear your comments.

Fuel Injected!
    I think the conversion or pid is not setup properly in the definition file. The 02s upstream also seems out of place.
    Can you check the exact pid numbers associated with these in the log.

Fuel Injected!
    I think the conversion or pid is not setup properly in the definition file. The 02s upstream also seems out of place.
    Can you check the exact pid numbers associated with these in the log.
    Is the definition file this
    Reading Platform config: p01-p59-platform.xml [OK]
    Loading file: p01-p59.xml [OK]

Here is a screenshot of the settings screen.
    Is there a way of connecting to the car and testing or polling the ecu to see id the pid's in the definition file are the same as in the ecu?

Fuel Injected!
    That screenshot list the PIDs number in the id column.

You can filter the list by using a copy of the pcm bin file.
    action->filter pids by bin->select the bin read from the pcm[You need a bin with the same OS, so it doesn`t really matter if you made changes to it]

Than all pids that are supported will be shown.

The conversion is usually the same across all vpw pcms. Not much to change there. I see vehicle speed is set as 8bit value, but the logs shows 16bit value.
    It could be bug in the program, can you run some logs with less data selected, for example vehicle speed, tps and engine speed.
    Just to verify it is not some hard to duplicate bug.

The 02 stream looks good, but don`t have the proper formula, so it may works as expected, but the display formula to mv is not correct.

Fuel Injected!
    I looked again at the screenshots but didn`t see a vehicle speed column.

Can you point the concerns you have and which data seems out of place.

Fuel Injected!
    I looked again at the screenshots but didn`t see a vehicle speed column.

Can you point the concerns you have and which data seems out of place.
    Kur40, thanks for all the help. I played around with the logger program in the analyser section, tried the poll by bin and got a csv file. Saved it and uploaded this screenshot, but its not what i expected. Currently trying to parse bin file to script. Not sure if I am headed in the right direction, but we'll see.

Parsed the bin to text but got a file that looks like this.
    Screenshot (27).jpg
    Hopefully that looks familiar to you.
    Last edited by Trgrhpy; 06-09-2022 at 12:33 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    wow, guess i should've checked in on my own thread :)

i now use PCM Logger which is the companion to PCM Hammer. its not perfect but does log a lot of things.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Trgrhpy View Post
    Kur40, thanks for all the help. I played around with the logger program in the analyser section, tried the poll by bin and got a csv file. Saved it and uploaded this screenshot, but its not what i expected. Currently trying to parse bin file to script. Not sure if I am headed in the right direction, but we'll see.
    I think I need to give some description on the action menu.

action->filter pids by bin file->select bin file

This action will filter the pids[Id column] in the main profile tab by the ones that are supported by the selected bin. Usually you need to select a bin file with the same OS that you have in the pcm. Even though the list still can have some unsupported parameters. Still not clear why this happens. Some pcm code bug.

action->parse logfile to bin->select .txt file

This action can convert a reading log of a pcm to a clean bin file. It can be used with some reading scripts. Usually you run the script, save the output to a text file and than run the text file parser. I do have some read scripts around but they are not released yet.

action->parse bin to script->select bin

This action is for debugging and creating custom scripts for writing a pcm. It converts the bin to an individual messages used for writing. Currently there is no real usage of it. It can be used for various debugging techniques for advanced users.

Here is some script that will read 512kb pcm to a log.
    To run the script->vpw console tab->check all checkboxes->connect button->upload script button->select script file.
    Wait till script is executed-> average 2mins for a pcm->save log to a text file

This script is configured for a tool that supports 4k data messages in high speed mode. It can be easily configured for less demanding cables.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Fuel Injected!
    kur4o, thanks for explaining the action menu. I downloaded your script and look forward to trying it. I tried smoothing the VE table, looked better without sharp points but after uploading and driving, the throttle had a HUGH deadspot about 1/3 throttle. Uploaded previous fie and dumped that one in the don't reuse folder. Then i wondered if more driving would have allowed the learn function to make corrections, I'm thinking the file should be as close as possible, not relying on the learn function to make corrections. Does that sound correct? Thanks again!

Fuel Injected!
    Hey guys, just wanted to leave an update, all thanks to you guys showing me what to do. Thanks again. Car is running great, trans shifts beautifully. Vats is enabled, VIN is correct, all good. I added the pin 71 performance button and wired in a switch. Normal settings are perfect for daily driving. Performance settings are more for light to light tire chirping fun. I attached the bin and xdf ( self created and parameters I play with are in a folder called "Recent" within the xdf. If either file is of use to anyone I'm happy to offer them up. Thanks again for all the help!!!!!!

Fuel Injected!
    Hey guys it's been a while, just wanted to say hi. I'm really enjoying my performance button and wanted to hook it up permanently. I've been looking for pinouts for a second gear start switch and wiring in say one of the V6 camaros. I picked one up on eBay and took my center console off again my car is a Z28 LS1 and the wiring is already there for a switch, I wired in my own switch to an ECU pin I think it was 71 that was currently unused. So I'm wondering what would happen if I just plugged the switch in, would it screw up the ECU or just not function correctly. Or should I just run my own wires to the switch the way I have now. If I had my own wiring diagram or pin out I might be able to figure it out on my own, thanks guys!

Fuel Injected!
    If the harness have the wiring than you are good to go. Just trace that the wires actually goes to pcm connectors and at what pins. Than we might confirm it is the correct position.