Thread: Newbie question , re; mem-cal compatability; TBI to MPFI ??

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Six_Shooter View Post
    I'm not aware of any MPFI applications using the '7427 from the factory. I know it was a surprise when people discovered the ability and the flag in the code years ago. Maybe you're thinking CPI? I thought those used a different PCM though.

Once you program an EPROM with a manual bin, what the original EPROM (on the MEMCAL) was programmed for no longer matters. There are no trans controls in the LHM RFD side of the MEMCAL.
    Can't find CPI in the list of Acronyms and abbreviations ; this "Central MultiPort Fuel Injection" system was factory on 95 Astro van 4.3 engines. Am I just calling it the wrong name ? This is quite confusing ; glad I don't have hair to pull out . Be safe...Bob.

CPI = central port injection. that would be the correct pcm for that engine.
    87 4Runner, 15" spring lift, 3" body, chevy vortec 355, 5.29 gears, 38.5x15.5x15" Boggers, 280hr, 16168625 running $0D
    93 S10, 36x12.5x15 TSL's, custom turbo headers, 266HR cam, p&p vortec heads, $0D Marine MPFI with 8psi boost.
    05 Silverado, 2' lift, 4" exhaust, Bully Dog programmer,

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by PJG1173 View Post
    CPI = central port injection. that would be the correct pcm for that engine.
    Thanks for the courtesy of a reply ; so I should call my 95-4.3 Astro fuel system "CPI" , even though GM named it Central Multiport Fuel Injection(CMFI) ? It's the one with the leaky spider and little plastic lines to the 6 injectors . I just want to be sure of the nomenclature ; so many parts and pieces are slang-named or misnamed , it's confusing to the neophyte wannabe tuner . I wonder how many have been scared off by this confusing detail . First clue is many members signing up , and zero posts . I'm no quitter , so need to know what system we're all talking about ; TBI is pretty self-explanatory , but the rest is a mystery and not in the index of abbreviations . Be safe...Bob.

JeepsandGuns did start a EFI dictionary to go along with an abbreviation list I had, but it will be a work in progress forever to keep up.

http://www.gearhead-efi.com/gm-ecm-p...ictionary.html

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    JeepsandGuns did start a EFI dictionary to go along with an abbreviation list I had, but it will be a work in progress forever to keep up.

http://www.gearhead-efi.com/gm-ecm-p...ictionary.html
    I read a ton of posts , both here and the Moates site , but I still don't know what to call my FI system when asking a specific question . The system is 1995 Astro 4.3 Vortec ; GM calls it Central Multiport Fuel Injection ; what do you guys call this system ? I can't imagine what Tuner support will be like , based on the results of this one question. Be safe...Bob.

Vintage Methane Ejector
    CMFI is the official name for the system by GM and CPI is the street name most people use. They are referring to the same thing.

The PCM are compatible. If they weren't they would have different part numbers. Just swap the MEMCAL and everything will be good.

93, he's wanting to use the CPI MEMCAL, to run TBI, because it has a mechanical or manual trans.

Using that MEMCAL will only complicate what he's trying to do.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.