Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Newbie question , re; mem-cal compatability; TBI to MPFI ??

Quote Originally Posted by jim_in_dorris View Post
    Six_shooter, I think he also needs to check the PCM, when searching for a manual V8 $0D prom, what was discovered was that the manual V8's didn't use a $0D compatable PCM, so just to be on the safe side he needs to check that. It would be a boon if he found a $0D prom for CPI and manual tranny, just thinking the odds are against it. I was thinking that other parameters might need to be changed, but didn't spend much time reading the hack looking for them.
    He's using a V6 though.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

BDXA is a 4.3 TBI manual transmission bin for $0D. I would assume if a 4.3 CPI manual trans bin couldn't be located the manual trans settings could be used from this one.
    87 4Runner, 15" spring lift, 3" body, chevy vortec 355, 5.29 gears, 38.5x15.5x15" Boggers, 280hr, 16168625 running $0D
    93 S10, 36x12.5x15 TSL's, custom turbo headers, 266HR cam, p&p vortec heads, $0D Marine MPFI with 8psi boost.
    05 Silverado, 2' lift, 4" exhaust, Bully Dog programmer,

Vintage Methane Ejector
    Thats exactly what he will have to do. He will need to use his current CPI bin and MEMCAL, then compare the trans settings with a 4.3 manual bin (there are a couple to chose from in the $0D thread hear). After that he will need to work with the timing and idle settings as needed.

Administrator
    Jim,

Practical experience learned the hard way by many tuners is to start with a manual trans calibration for a manual transmission. Quite often you'll discover there are unexpected relationships between variables or settings which cause surprises. Stalling, idle issues, tunes that just can't be made "right" can all come from having a wrong bit selected or a variable set to a wrong number. For people that want to take the time to try, or for people with a good understanding of their vehicle and the tuning process it can be a fun challenge to figure out what needs to be changed but when the goal is to get the vehicle running with a minimum of "gotcha"s the best answer is to start with the correct type of calibration.

OP,
    GM uses marketing names for many of their engines, induction systems, etcetera. The 4.3 "spider" engine has come in two different varieties. The original engine had a single solenoid which distributed fuel to six injectors simultaneously. In 96 GM replaced that system with one having six solenoids, each controlling one injector. The early system was called "CPFI" or Central Port Fuel Injection. The later system, which was also employed in an eight cylinder version, was dubbed "Central Sequential Fuel Injection" to distinguish it from the earlier batch fire version. While all GM port fuel injection systems are technically multi port injection, neither of the 4.3 systems carried that marketing name. If you really want to narrow it down you'll use the RPO code for the 92-95 engine, L35, or the moniker "Vin W." The TBI engine of the same era is often known as a "Vin Z" or less often, LB4.

There aren't many calibrations for the 94-95 S truck with underhood vcm. Far fewer are the number of cals for a manual trans. BDCM5424 part no 16185117 is used with computer number 16156647 and BHRL 5909 part no 16195908 is used with computer number 16196392. These are the only two cals specifically listed for a manual trans and L35. If either of these computer numbers match yours then you might want to see if they're available new as it's not going to be easy to find a ZR2 w/ manual trans to steal tghe cal from.

1project, I originally proposed using the manual trans calibration with CPI turned on in the CPI memcal, but that was shot down. I agree, it does seem like converting an auto calibration to manual has lots of gotchas from reading a lot of different posts.
    Square body stepsides forever!!!

Administrator
    I didn't notice that the TBI calibration was confirmed to be the same mask or from the same ecm. The 93-95 period involved the changeover of S trucks and then Blazers and there were at least four different computers in play. In order to use the TBI cal in the CPI the planets have to align such that

The ecm numbers match:
    The TBI cal is the same mask:
    The TBI cal is programmed into the CPI memcal

In addition to the CPI bit being set, there's also an intake tuning valve used in the L35 intake manifold which selects between longer runners to enhance torque or shorter runners for higher rpm operation. If this valve is not operational it's very noticeable. And the L35 uses a digital EGR valve vs the vacuum operated valve found on the TBI engines. If the vehicle is not emissions tested then disabling the EGR might be an option. Typically the L35 engines in the new body style trucks are configured as OBD 1.5 so they will use dual O2 sensors while the TBI configuration typically uses only one. Again, probably not an issue but still a consideration. And the purge system on the L35 truck uses a digitally controlled valve while the purge on the TBI truck typically uses ported vacuum for control. And of course there are small differences in timing and VE related to the tuned intake and larger L35 cam so those would have to be worked out too. Nothing insurmountable, but probably a fair amount of effort for a newbie.

I put together a list of possible manual trans L35 cals. A person could look at the cals in an editor to see if it's configured for manual or 700R4 use instead of electonic trans.

BUZX
    BUZR
    BPLB
    BPNJ
    BNRT
    BMCF
    BHRJ
    BDBX
    BUZK
    BUZM
    BBNT
    BMUS
    BMUR
    BUZT

I've found another manual specific cal but I don't recognize the ecm number. CBJX is used with Astro van manuals and ecm number 16156647. It's probably not compatible but worth a look around on the web. The other cals above are not specifically manual cals and they are not listed with electronic trans so they could be for a 700R4.

What's even stranger about the CBJX bin is it is for a 1992 model year with a release data of 05/19/97 ?

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Administrator
    Probably an update. There aren't many cals having four letters and beginning with "C" so it has to have a late production date. Cross checking the database there are 6 calibrations with a 1997 release date for that ecm and all are for 1992 model vans.

Now the next step is to hunt down the cals from the list above and see if any are truly manual trans cals.
    Last edited by 1project2many; 06-23-2012 at 08:20 PM.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
    Probably an update. There aren't many cals having four letters and beginning with "C" so it has to have a late production date. Cross checking the database there are 6 calibrations with a 1997 release date for that ecm and all are for 1992 model vans.

Now the next step is to hunt down the cals from the list above and see if any are truly manual trans cals.
    You guys have given me lots to think about , and I'll have to read what's on this BUZY chip that's supposed to be from a manual trans-V6-L35-vinW-CPI motor out of a 94 Blazer with a 16197427 ECM . I'll keep this list of suggestions and go from there . Many thank you's . Be safe...Bob

Administrator
    BUZY is listed as an Astro van calibration but the GM data doesn't say 4L60E so it could be a manual trans cal.

If you feel like sharing, or need a hand evaluating the calibration for trans type, post it up. Someone here will take a look and sort it out.
    Last edited by 1project2many; 06-25-2012 at 05:23 AM.

BUZY I like that BCC!

Looks like a 4.3 CPI Manual Fed emmissions, so should be a very good start.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-