Thread: o2 bung depth

Fuel Injected!

o2 bung depth

I'm slowly grinding forward on the LT1 swap into the 79 Malibu wagon. I'm working on getting the o2 bungs on to the header collectors. These are the ones for the PCM referencing to fuel trims just as they would in a stock application, not wideband. Widebands will come later when we boost the engine.

I have angled bungs and I plan to point them downstream into the collectors. I'm not sure where I heard this recommendation but its been logged in my mind.

Have a look at how far the o2 sensor tip sticks through the bung. It is ok with the back half shrouded by the bung like this?

IMG_7116.jpg

Fuel Injected!
    If you are going to use a shrouded sensor, the shrouding needs to be to the front side. Noted in your edited pic.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -Carl

Fuel Injected!
    thanks

Fuel Injected!
    I would think just the opposite that you would want as much of the sensor exposed to the flow of exhaust.

Fuel Injected!
    I ordered some non angled bungs which I’ll use instead since there are no clearance issues when mounting on the collectors of these long tube G Body headers. I also ordered 2 new GM AFS75 sensors. These others I have are the original ones from the 94 Camaro and have over 100k miles use. I would expect quicker response and more accurate measurements from the newer design sensors.