Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 120 Volt varible Speed Motor for new EFI test/build bench?

120 Volt varible Speed Motor for new EFI test/build bench?

Anyone got a suggestion for a plug in varible speed motor with enough power and RPM to drive 2 distribuotrs, probably off v belt and pulleys? Building a new test/build bench and want to have front and rear distributors mounted for when I build and test a system...

The idea is a 1/2 inch aluminum plate machined like an intake with all possible scenarios to mount TBI sensors grounds etc with small cap distributor on front and rear for differant engines, with drive under plate or bench to run system.

I have one dedicated bench for this with an intake but it's turning into a cobbled up mess and time for a remake. May also look for power supply for 12 volt side and do away with batterey, may add simulater to do away with vacuum pump.

So besides the varible speed motor any other ides for EFI system build bench?

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

A simple brushed motor and electronic speed control connected to a servo simulator would work fine, all connectd to your new 12V power supply.

Any one of these:
    http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.as...tname=electric

Connected to one of each of these:
    http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=6468
    http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...vo_Tester.html

Or you could use most any small appliance motor and run it through a dimmer switch.
    Last edited by gregs78cam; 06-18-2012 at 02:21 AM.
    1978 Camaro Type LT, 383, Dual TBI, '7427, 4L80E
    1981 Camaro Z-28 Clone, T-Tops, 350/TH350
    1981 Camaro Berlinetta, V-6, 3spd
    1974 Chevy/GMC Truck, '90 TBI 350, '7427, TH350, NP203, 6" lift, 35s

I use an older 120 VAC electric hand drill with an adapter to spin the distributor. The draw back to this setup is one of my hands is tied up when spinning the distributor, and the max rpm is about 3200. I'm sure there are second hand tool stores in your area? I've been thinking of cannibalizing a second hand electric drill, similar to mine, then add pulleys / belt to increase speed. I'm thinking some kind of variable rheostat to vary the motor speed. I think McMaster-Carr http://www.mcmaster.com/# has many options to look at.

dave w

Well I have a one speed drill hanging down side of bench and it has done well. But since I'm making plans for dual distributor so I can build the harness in place, run and test before install, this way has saved tons of time, everyone just works right first shot.

Hey I've got all sorts of left over RC car stuff! Was thinking of a servo for throttle position. I've got a remote for 3 way so I could run three servos or motors?

Looks like this will be a non functional RC Rock Crawler now...

Attached Images Attached Images

-= =-

Wonder if I could add a VSS to the distributor drives as well?

If it weren't for the purpose of building a harness and system on and then testing before install a simulator would be easier... but I need to build systems, but also like to have one available to check parts and funtion? hmmm... now I need 2...

-= =-

For speed control, you could use foot pedals that are originally intended for domestic (non-commercial) sewing machines. I have one of these pedals kicking around that I know I'll come up with a use for one day. Originally I was using it for a variable speed Dremel, when the single speed Dremels were easy to come by and the variable speed versions were expensive.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Now your talking! A gas pedal on my test bench!

Did you see the video of the old lady learning to use a computer? She put the mouse on the floor...

-= =-

Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    Wonder if I could add a VSS to the distributor drives as well?

If it weren't for the purpose of building a harness and system on and then testing before install a simulator would be easier... but I need to build systems, but also like to have one available to check parts and funtion? hmmm... now I need 2...
    I've found an Ohm meter to be a good quick tool for verifying pin outs of the harness. For simulation, I think all that would be needed would be the spinning the distributor reluctor (pole piece) for the distributor pickup coil to generate an AC signal for the distributor module. Sending an AC wave (about 1.2 volts) of different frequencies will trigger the ignition module for different RPM's. The VSS is also an AC Signal Generator. Maybe you can find an AC Signal Generator (Dual Output) for cheap?

dave w
    Last edited by dave w; 06-18-2012 at 04:59 AM.

Took a look at China stuff on eBay, lots of options from super cheap to really expensive. Not sure what specs to look for? Like this?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-SG1005-5...item3f18c78bf9

-= =-

We will need to O'scope a pickup coil and VSS to know what AC amplitudes and frequencies are generated. Then we will know what signal generator specs should be. The ignition module will convert the AC sine wave into a square wave, so maybe a signal generator that can produce square waves would be useful.

dave w

Quote Originally Posted by Six_Shooter View Post
    For speed control, you could use foot pedals that are originally intended for domestic (non-commercial) sewing machines. I have one of these pedals kicking around that I know I'll come up with a use for one day. Originally I was using it for a variable speed Dremel, when the single speed Dremels were easy to come by and the variable speed versions were expensive.
    when I was into wood working I had a dimmer switch hooked up to a router to vary the speed. push to turn on/off and rotate the dial to control speed.
    87 4Runner, 15" spring lift, 3" body, chevy vortec 355, 5.29 gears, 38.5x15.5x15" Boggers, 280hr, 16168625 running $0D
    93 S10, 36x12.5x15 TSL's, custom turbo headers, 266HR cam, p&p vortec heads, $0D Marine MPFI with 8psi boost.
    05 Silverado, 2' lift, 4" exhaust, Bully Dog programmer,

Administrator
    Dimmer switch is the easiest way to go imo for cheap variable speed control. Can get pulse generators on Ebay for use as signal simulator. I picked up an old Kent Moore speedometer and sensor tester for $40 which has three pots and a couple of switches to select frequency of output pulse. If building a mechanical VSS you might want to look at Ebay / yard sales for 12V cordless drill that needs battery. They're cheap and you can replace the trigger with pot.

Fuel Injected!
    Heres another thought...not 120v but might work. I have an old electric scooter that has a speed controller with thumb throttle sitting in the garage that I got for free from my nephew because the battteries stopped charging. It ran off of 2 batteries and I don't remember off hand of it is 12 or 24v. It has a removable chain sprocket on it. Hit a few garage sales I see them frequently.
    I'm going to use it for a hopped up power wheels jeep for the kids.

I went over to the lab at work, here is what I measured on the pickup coil. From my bench testing experience, the 160Hz 15v peak to peak sine wave is about 3000 RPM's after the ignition module does it's processing of the pickup coil.

dave w
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

That's the information I have is sine wave from pickup coil to EST which converts to square wave back to ECM.

For the most part I don't need RPM the way I build a complete system and run it, but VSS would be nice. Looking at a trans Stim as it has all I/O needed for 4l60E with an adjustable VSS signal.

Just finished up the LT1 PCM programming end of the bench.

-= =-