Thread: Selecting the right mask

Carb and Points!

Selecting the right mask

Hi everyone.

I have a 6.0 waiting to swap but I'm trying to take some time and understand what's going on in my current 5.3

I bought it used, unknown everything. Replaced every gasket except the head gasket, rewired the harness, paid to have my ECU flashed, and sent it. I requested the flasher flash it for 3.42 rear diff, but I went with a 4.10 rear end instead.
    I figured I could change my own rear end ratio.

I have a 09354896 ECU. It ias a red/blue. When I bought it, it was supposed to be a drive by cable 5.3 and it came with a flex plate on it, so automatic. Searching the forum said to use the 12212156 mask.
    When I use this mask I came up with a type 17 engine with 154 cylinders. I am hesitant to start altering pulses and values if I don't have the appropriate mask (see, I read the tutorial)

So I used this mask to extract the VIN number and trace the vehicle back to a 2001 Silverado 1500.
    Ok, search for 2001 masks. I found a 2001 mask but when I try to open that mask I get an error:

Failed to load D:\bin files\12202088 - 2001 512k.xdf
    Unrecognized encoding (parser does not support UTF-8 language encodings)

Same with another 2001 mask I downloaded, called 12208322.

I found another mask called XDF for Operating System 12208322 - 2001 512Kb PCM - Version 5.xdf but this one also says I have a type 17 engine, with 154 cylinders.

Half of me wants to know what's going on and half of me wants to just scrap it until the 6.0 with the 0411 goes in. Someone named Woody uploaded a 2002 2500 4x4 6.0 NV4500 which is the exact file I needed. It should be as easy as confirming that rear end ratio and running it, but I have a TBSS manifold and 36 lb injectors I want to put in.

Does anyone have any input?
    Last edited by Paraquat; 01-20-2021 at 06:49 PM.

Carb and Points!
    Figured maybe I should attach my bin file.
    Attached Files Attached Files

What year is you 6.0?
    In the LS types if is a.xdf, not a mask.

When you read your ecm/ecu/pcm what type showed up? P01/P59
    When you read your ecm/ecu/pcm what operating system did it show? such as 12579405, 12587603, etc
    Jack of all trades, absolutely master of none! Too many projects, not enough time and limited funds.
    Geronimo, Guadalupe County, Texas
    1993 K1500 Suburban - SBC Refit retraining the TBI and Computer Control.
    2004 Z66 Avalanche 5;3 to 6.0 LQ9 upgrade - project pending

Okay, when I opened your .bin file in EFI Live, this is what it shows:

ECU/PCM type: P01
    Engine: 2000 LR4 - 4.8L MFI with a Manual Transmission

Do NOT use the .xdf (of mask as you call it) on that ecm/pcm, you will not like the results and more then likely will brick your module.

So either you posted the incorrect .bin file above, or whomever you paid to flash (supposedly) your module took the cash and probably did not say Thank You!

You may want to read your ecm/ecu/pcm again, and make sure you have the correct .bin.
    Last edited by trlrider; 01-26-2021 at 05:39 AM.
    Jack of all trades, absolutely master of none! Too many projects, not enough time and limited funds.

Carb and Points!
    Quote Originally Posted by trlrider View Post
    Okay, when I opened your .bin file in EFI Live, this is what it shows:

ECU/PCM type: P01
    Engine: 2000 LR4 - 4.8L MFI with a Manual Transmission

Do NOT use the .xdf (of mask as you call it) on that ecm/pcm, you will not like the results and more then likely will brick your module.

So either you posted the incorrect .bin file above, or whomever you paid to flash (supposedly) your module took the cash and probably did not say Thank You!

You may want to read your ecm/ecu/pcm again, and make sure you have the correct .bin.
    I picked this up as one cut out package. It was complete from airbox to 6 inches down stream after the O2 sensor. Harness, ECU, fuse box, everything.
    Which is disheartening because that means the engine I bought was most likely a 4.8 and not a 5.3

I cruised LS1tech and found the appropriate XDF. It's early Fbody and sometimes truck. I was able to pull up the gear ratio I saw my requested 3.42 setting.

I read my bin file 3 times. I saved multiple copies. I changed my gear ratio.
    I went to write it and I got the same error as the other guy did: "No PCM response found, PCM has not responded with an acceptance message..."

I went to the LS Droid group and people there said to check the voltage. I put the truck on a battery charger and got 13.10 VDC. I got the same error message trying to write.
    Then I tried it with the truck jumped to a running vehicle so I had 14.50 VDC. Same error message.
    Specifically it does its 1 through 48 checks, then says the bin is ready to be flashed, the flash kernel has been successfully loaded but no data has been erased from the PCM yet. I click "Start flash' and it ends up back at "NO PCM response found".

I tried to read to exit the flash kernel and the app froze, like my phone flagged it as not responding during "Commanding to exit flash kernel"

Quote Originally Posted by Paraquat View Post
    I picked this up as one cut out package. It was complete from airbox to 6 inches down stream after the O2 sensor. Harness, ECU, fuse box, everything.
    Which is disheartening because that means the engine I bought was most likely a 4.8 and not a 5.3

I cruised LS1tech and found the appropriate XDF. It's early Fbody and sometimes truck. I was able to pull up the gear ratio I saw my requested 3.42 setting.

I read my bin file 3 times. I saved multiple copies. I changed my gear ratio.
    I went to write it and I got the same error as the other guy did: "No PCM response found, PCM has not responded with an acceptance message..."

I went to the LS Droid group and people there said to check the voltage. I put the truck on a battery charger and got 13.10 VDC. I got the same error message trying to write.
    Then I tried it with the truck jumped to a running vehicle so I had 14.50 VDC. Same error message.
    Specifically it does its 1 through 48 checks, then says the bin is ready to be flashed, the flash kernel has been successfully loaded but no data has been erased from the PCM yet. I click "Start flash' and it ends up back at "NO PCM response found".

I tried to read to exit the flash kernel and the app froze, like my phone flagged it as not responding during "Commanding to exit flash kernel"
    In order to flash a change, you have to write you original .bin to the ECM 3 times as a calibration file ( I am not near my bench for the correct terminology) to unlock LS Droid to that PCM/ECM. Go back to the FB LSDroid page and get Dustin Graham on the hook, he has helped dozens of folks get past some of the simple stuff.
    1st time I tried to flash an new operating system, I found I had skipped as step in connecting my device.

Also, read the other post I responded to relating to power supplies.