Page 54 of 115 FirstFirst ... 444495051525354555657585964104 ... LastLast

Thread: Whatever!!!!!!!!! Gearhead-EFI Edition

So I have been working a lot of hours at my 'part time' job, (more hours than I work at my real job), and the guy I work for had his jet boat motor dynoed today. Ford 521, made 520hp, and 598 lb/ft. Wish I had got to see it.
    1978 Camaro Type LT, 383, Dual TBI, '7427, 4L80E
    1981 Camaro Z-28 Clone, T-Tops, 350/TH350
    1981 Camaro Berlinetta, V-6, 3spd
    1974 Chevy/GMC Truck, '90 TBI 350, '7427, TH350, NP203, 6" lift, 35s

Administrator
    Well, that's pretty cool. Did you have a hand in building it? At least get a ride once in a while?

Quote Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
    Well, that's pretty cool. Did you have a hand in building it? At least get a ride once in a while?
    No, I was busy welding handrail, a paintbooth, more handrail, etc. 30-40hrs a week, on top of my regular 36hr job, kind of sucks. I might get to ride in it someday, though.
    1978 Camaro Type LT, 383, Dual TBI, '7427, 4L80E
    1981 Camaro Z-28 Clone, T-Tops, 350/TH350
    1981 Camaro Berlinetta, V-6, 3spd
    1974 Chevy/GMC Truck, '90 TBI 350, '7427, TH350, NP203, 6" lift, 35s

Quote Originally Posted by gregs78cam View Post
    So I have been working a lot of hours at my 'part time' job, (more hours than I work at my real job), and the guy I work for had his jet boat motor dynoed today. Ford 521, made 520hp, and 598 lb/ft. Wish I had got to see it.
    That's going to need a big prop!

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Fuel Injected!
    After 7-8 years of reading and learning about them I have finally successfully burned,installed and verified an eprom in an OBDI vehicle.
    I felt giddy when the fuel pump cycled and then the engine started.
    It was like Hello World all over again :)

Sounds dumb,but I started with learning tuning on OBDII using all the OBDI info. I went to work for Ford just so I could get OBDII specific training and knowledge. Never had a need to program a chip really,just extracted the applicable knowledge needed from the awesome online OBDI tuning tutorials and the mailing lists.
    Feels good to finally do it after all these years.

From another thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Six_Shooter View Post
    Pretty cool feeling when you get that to work, eh?

I still get excited sometimes when I read an EPROM.

-= =-

Quote Originally Posted by Playtoy_18 View Post
    After 7-8 years of reading and learning about them I have finally successfully burned,installed and verified an eprom in an OBDI vehicle.

Sounds dumb,but I started with learning tuning on OBDII using all the OBDI info. I went to work for Ford just so I could get OBDII specific training and knowledge. Never had a need to program a chip really,just extracted the applicable knowledge needed from the awesome online OBDI tuning tutorials and the mailing lists.
    Feels good to finally do it after all these years.
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    From another thread...
    I was going to make a very similar comment here. lol

Nothing is quite like the first time you get it right, but it's still enjoyable after thousands of burns later. :D
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Fuel Injected!
    hy, not had a job for almost 6 months [ don't want to drive 85-100 miles a day, may have a few things for sale shortly but that is later.] had a lower ball joint get lose enough that I would consider it dangerous,went to the local napa store got one started back home pulled out on the hyway pop pop truck went dead, fuel pump was what I thought, just happen one of my grand sons was with me,started checking the injectors they was spraying,pulled the coil wire coil throughing an 1.5 inch of spark,pulled a plug wire on the cap no spark to ground, shit I left my tool box in the front yard by the lawn mower, shane started going though the truck looking for tools, found a screw driver that fit the dist cap screws it was a little long but, little black spot in the rotor button,spark burnt though the rotor botton to ground, walked back down to napa got a cap an rotor installed it fired up, moral of the story,( don't leave your tool box at home, and if you are like me don't forget your glasses if you need them for looking at detailed things,

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by ony View Post
    hy, not had a job for almost 6 months [ don't want to drive 85-100 miles a day, may have a few things for sale shortly but that is later.] had a lower ball joint get lose enough that I would consider it dangerous,went to the local napa store got one started back home pulled out on the hyway pop pop truck went dead, fuel pump was what I thought, just happen one of my grand sons was with me,started checking the injectors they was spraying,pulled the coil wire coil throughing an 1.5 inch of spark,pulled a plug wire on the cap no spark to ground, shit I left my tool box in the front yard by the lawn mower, shane started going though the truck looking for tools, found a screw driver that fit the dist cap screws it was a little long but, little black spot in the rotor button,spark burnt though the rotor botton to ground, walked back down to napa got a cap an rotor installed it fired up, moral of the story,( don't leave your tool box at home, and if you are like me don't forget your glasses if you need them for looking at detailed things,
    take tools with you and you won't need them...

I always have basic tools with me! And also never need them if I break down! If I break down I need specility tools...

-= =-

Administrator
    I went to work for Ford just so I could get OBDII specific training and knowledge.
    I did something similar in the '80s. I realized that GM was moving away from carbs and all the EFI equipped vehicles on the road were going to end up in junkyards. I figured I'd better learn how to hotrod EFI or I'd become a dinosaur. So I went through GM tech school. I learned a bunch about how GM systems work but very little about modifying them. I put Crossfire injection on my '57 in '92 and paid a guy over $100 for a chip that was supposed to work. It didn't. An article in Car Craft talked about how guys with special readers could read and program the chips. So I started asking questions and ended up at a place that did video games and electronic gambling machines. Those guys had big burners that would do banks of eproms at a time. Way cool to a guy used to using wrenches and hammers to change stuff. I learned a bunch about computer code, and a bunch more about electronic gambling machines, and even walked out with a copy of my .bin on a floppy disk, but still couldn't change anything. Then I found the internet and the third site I hit was diy-efi.org and after that, everything changed.

Took me months to understand just what was involved in programming a chip, and that was while I was immersed in diy-efi and gmecm. All these different chip numbers and programmers, some only worked in DOS and some in Windows, headers and adapters... there was a bunch of data but almost no step by step instructions in 1996. I saved up and bought a burner but didn't have enough for an eraser. Everyone said UV light erased chips so I put mine on a windowsill and left it in the hot western sun all day. Every day. For a week. Not a single bit changed. So much for that plan, so then I had to save up for an eraser. I was pretty proud of myself when I ordered a SCSI header and made it work as a memcal adapter. That took a little figuring out as well since I'd never even heard of SCSI before. I went in with a bunch of guys and we bought some programming software that was supposed to program anything. Yeah, right. All it did was graphically display data along a 2D axis. Sure, you could ID a table inside the data, and you could alter the data, but you had no idea what the data was. The key was the user's forum, supposedly. So when I logged on to look around what did I see but a bunch of people asking for table locations. Even the company selling the software wasn't posting answers. And when I did try to make changes, the software would corrupt the last byte during the save operation rendering the .bin unusable as a calibration. So that was a waste of $1000. Then it turns out the programmer would only work in DOS. The manufacturer made a new version but there was no upgrade path short of complete replacement. Well, I started using Windows and promptly destroyed several chips then popped a transistor in the burner before calling the mfgr. You know, I still have to restart my OBDI laptop in DOS to burn a chip. Called mfgr last summer when the 1996 vintage laptop died and they were suprised the burner's still in service. There's still no upgrade path. Replacement only. So I bought a new hard drive for the old laptop for $20.

Anyway, congrats on burning a chip. Sometimes it's pretty cool to make old tech work again.

Super Moderator
    got curious, did moar calculations:

CR2032 battery with 200mAh capacity stores ~960 joules of energy.

to get the same energy out of a capacitor charged to the same 3 volts, it would have to have 213.33333333 farads of capacitance...

that's a big capacitor just to replace a tiny little watch battery.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

So what kind of wine do you serve with a grilled RB20 intake?

The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Administrator
    Saki.

Coating?

Quote Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post

Coating?
    Welding... ?

-= =-