Page 52 of 115 FirstFirst ... 242474849505152535455565762102 ... LastLast

Thread: Whatever!!!!!!!!! Gearhead-EFI Edition

Super Moderator
    so you basically converted the classic 60V6 DIS ICM into a COP ICM? neat.

i've considered doing something similar for the 93-99 northstars to give them the 00+ system, but i always got hung up on something.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Yep, using the DIS ICM to trigger 6 individual coils.

Once I get the bracket made, I can make a proper harness and leave it in. :D

I'm thinking about modifying the ICM itself to make it smaller since I won't need the size anymore.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

I remember us talking about that in one of the northstar dis threads. I think trying to find the ohm reading of other coils was as far as we got. I think we were looking at for and mopar coils.
    If I ever get around to installing my northstar dis and get it up and running/working like it should, converting it to cop like you just did was my plan. Nice to know its working! I assume since its working with the V6 icm, the same coils should work with the V8.
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

Fuel Injected!
    I had this same plan,was gonna do it on a 2.5 duke to confirm and then go ahead and convert all mine.
    I've got a bag full of COP's from when I worked at Ford that I kept for doing this.
    Pretty easy circuit to build :)
    When they fail they rarely go out,they will just fail under load and misfire most generally.

if you need a couple extra to play with let me know,i've prob got 10+ and can get more.

Fuel Injected!
    Robert that ve comp table in tp is the same as the bpw constant vs air flow vs egr is in tuner cats. been play with the numbers got my information the same as my basic pulse with 181 in tp, try it out here after while, - or + .01 makes a lot of differents with the egr employed

Super Moderator
    usually, that would be referred to as BPC vs %EGR then. smaller numbers will deliver less fuel.

A friend of mine gave me the best watch ever today:

The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Awesome, the only thing cooler would be in hex
    Square body stepsides forever!!!

Super Moderator
    kind of want.

i've seen some binary wallclocks before that didn't have any labeling on them whatsoever(just a couple of LEDs).... this being before i had some good understanding of how binary functioned, it took some time to decipher what was actually happening.

Administrator
    Love the watch. How about a MAP sensor for BARO readings?

Nice job on the coils. Don't forget that time required to achieve saturation increases as inductance increases. Ears can be great at detecting subtle changes in frequency. Simple test might be to drive ICM with stimulator with Ford coils on one connection and DIS coil on another. Use multiple ST125 spark testers (gives nice loud "snap") to compare coil output at high rpm / frequency.

Prolly a non-issue but would hate to find a problem at high rpm under boost.
    Last edited by 1project2many; 05-07-2013 at 02:39 PM.

I have the bracket to hold the coils made up, probably going to install them today. I need to make the harness, which will take a little bit of time.

Some pictures:

Initial testing:

Start of the bracket:

Multiport propane injection, anyone seen this? We just got a new forklift (well, new to us, but its used with about 5k hours on it). Its a yale and runs on propane. We were were checking it out and I opened the main cover to check the oil and it has a 4cyl GM vortec engine. I then noticed it was DIS and MPFI. Wow, I never knew there was such a thing with propane. But sure enough, it has a fuel rail and 4 propane "injectors". I didnt look too close, but it looked like the TB is DBW. Not sure what the exact year of this thing is.
    I just thought it was interesting because it was MPFI. All I had ever seen (or knew about) with propane has a carb like mixer to run them. This is the first time I have seen MPFI propane.
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

Administrator
    I've seen pictures and read about these systems but never had one in my hands. I probably have pictures of early systems from 95-98 era saved on my desktop machine. I'll bet Dale Ulan has plenty of experience with them. As far as that Vortec engine, for a long time GM was selling 1.8 and 2.0 liter industrial engines that were descendants of European engines and surprisingly enough, they were the same engine family used in the Pontiac turbo Sunbird. I think they've stopped that now but I'm still curious. Any chance you snapped a picture?

No, but I can snap a pic monday. I asked the yale rep that delivered it about the engine when he was going over it with us. I asked if it was a engine out of like a S10 or something and he said it was engine GM made specifically for indrustrial uses and is not used in anything automotive. It says vortec and some number I cant remember on the valve cover. (2600 maybe?) I'll find out tomorrow.

I spent most of the weekend getting the 454 Vortec wiring harness set up. Based on the input I got from the "car guys" I work with, sequential fuel injected 454 with 4L80E control was considered the most desirable setup?

Maybe I should upgrade to the '0411 PCM?

dave w
    Attached Images Attached Images