Page 19 of 115 FirstFirst ... 914151617181920212223242969 ... LastLast

Thread: Whatever!!!!!!!!! Gearhead-EFI Edition

Super Moderator
    i would blame the internet, but i know back in the old days ideas had other ways of spreading.

the bottle of hand sanitizer i have nearby is 62% ethanol by volume... that's 124 proof, if you could somehow choke it down.

kinda reminds me of the vodka soaked tampon craze that the media went all rabid over for a few weeks a couple of years ago...

where people get these ideas, i'll never know.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

I am so lucky that when I was a kid adults would buy you a six pack per 2 kids, that's it... I don't know where they got this rule but it seemed all adults knew it, worked fine, tasted horrible but just enough for a good buzz and just enough for a horrible hangover! But no permanent brain or body damage... i think... ahhh... can't remember... what were we talking about... oh nevermind...

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Administrator
    Studies show if you lose it early enough you'll never know it's gone. :)

Know when what's gone?

I must be getting old cause my memory is fading... they say as you get older you loose three things, but I forget what they are?

OK enough joking. I feel like going up to the high school and middle school and offering any kid with a bright idea to get high on household chemicals 3 beers if they don't! Ha! can you imagine how many kids would show up with ideas for beers? That could be the name of the program "Ideas for Beers!"

-= =-

Administrator
    Sounds like part of "No sober child left behind."

I found hen's teeth this week. Picked up an original sway bar for my '57 pickup. They were only available on suburbans and panel trucks originally and there aren't many around. Now the trick is finding bushings and end links. The bushings were discontinued in February 1970 and the end links in May of '72. Sad part is I don't think I'm going to like it's performance. But I'll try it and see how it goes.
    Last edited by 1project2many; 05-02-2012 at 08:25 PM.

As of today, I know first hand what it's like to be suffocating while standing in a room full of air.

I was opening a new container of Helmaprene glue (it's like contact cement, only way stronger) today, and when I peeled the little cap open, the glue exploded in my face, covering the left side and glued both of my eyes shut. Luckily I was wearing my glasses, and they were enough to keep from getting any glue in my eyes. The scariest part, was the inability to breathe in any oxygen, the glue, since it had sprayed on my face, covering my nose, upper lip, and chin, completely dissipated the oxygen around my nose and mouth, so I was literally suffocating while standing in a room full of air. Luckily one of my co-workers was nearby and helped me get to the eye wash station, and clean the glue off my face. I started hyper ventilating because of the lack of oxygen. Once the water was able to wash some of it away, I was able to breathe more normally.
    It took me over an hour to clean the glue off my face, and glasses, and I know I've still missed some.

From now, I'll be wearing a face shield whenever I have to open a new pail of anything, especially that glue.

I had to trim down my goatee though with some creative trimming, I was able to keep a good portion of it.

My face was burning from the reaction to the glue for a long while after I even got it off, the skin is still sensitive.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

I feel your pain. Last year while at work I got a high pressure spray (think wide open water hose nozzle) of methanol sprayed onto my face and in both my eyes. My eyes were about the only thing it really hurt. I was instantly blinded after it hit me, was burning like crazy. My hands, arms and shirt were also wet with it so I couldnt wipe any off. And being blinded by it, I couldnt see anything to get to a sink to wash it out. I stood there wipeing my eyes and blinking like mad till I got just barely enough blurryness to see where I was going (shop was full of equipment) I finally made it to the sink and preceeded to sticking my head under the faucet and flushing my eyes. I was doing that when a coworker found me. I thought once I got it washed out I would be ok. I wasnt. My eyes started swelling shut and still burning and feeling like sandy pepper spray was in my eyes. Off we go to the ER. I set there for like half a hour in the room with my eyes on fire before they do anything. They take these suction cups and open my eyelids and stick them right on my eyeballs and flush a bag of saline through each eye and send me on home. I cant hardly see anything but a blur, eyes burn and sandy feeling. Co worker has to drive me home. If I want to see anything I have to take my fingers and open my eyelids, as they are swolen shut. Didnt get much sleep that night. Coworker takes me to the eye doctor the ER told me to go to I have to hold his arm and let him lead me around, as I was still to blurry to see much and still swolen shut, and still burned and sandy feeling. He checks me over and basicly I just burnt off the top layer of my eyes, and should heal up and be ok. I get eyedrops and some type of gel goo to put in my eyes for a week.
    I cant remember, but I think it was 2-3 days before I could go back to work, mabey more. I just had to hang out around the house with all the windows closed and blocked off so it was dark, as light made the hurt more. First day I spent the whole day laying on the sofa in pain not able to do much anything.

I Still to this day get sick to my stomach if I get a smell of that stuff.
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

That's some scary situations! Specially when it comes to the eyes, let alone chemicals! Hope you guys recover!

I've been to ER 3 times in last 5-6 years with small pieces of metal from grinding, with safety glasses or face shield, twice was taking face shield off without first blowing myself clean... once with safety glasses while grinding... what's the chance of getting the same ER doc 3 times in 5 years? He looks at me and says... "not again"...

-= =-

Super Moderator
    i think the worst thing i've had in my eyes was a shot of gasoline....

was playing with a carb on a bike, kept having rust plugging up the little filter on the fuel inlet. i had been blowing it out using compressed air. don't know how, but i managed to spray some right back at my face along with some rust. i ran my ass up to the house with my eyes closed and was flushing my face with the bathtub for quite some time.

Super Moderator
    so, cough syrup seems to be mildly halucenegenic?

had some wildly vivid dreams last night.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertISaar View Post
    i think the worst thing i've had in my eyes was a shot of gasoline....

was playing with a carb on a bike, kept having rust plugging up the little filter on the fuel inlet. i had been blowing it out using compressed air. don't know how, but i managed to spray some right back at my face along with some rust. i ran my ass up to the house with my eyes closed and was flushing my face with the bathtub for quite some time.
    I used to keep an eye cup near the sink so I could grab it when I got stuff in my eyes. But have since got real consistent with safety glasses and have not used it in years. My friend and I once came home and opened the garage door to find rotten egg smell, we had a battery charging... he got to it before me and as I was yelling NNNNOOOOOO!!!!! he pulled the cable of and created a spark which ignited the hydrogen gas and the battery exploded. We were both in the shower fully clothed washing battery acid off...

This thread is turning into GearHead bloopers...

so, cough syrup seems to be mildly halucenegenic?

had some wildly vivid dreams last night.
    Did you find that in the kids get high on..... website?

-= =-

Super Moderator
    ha, no, just what i've experienced. i have quite the spontaneous sore throat, bad enough to make me get to the point of vomitting from coughing.

Have I mentioned the time my freinds step son drove his brand new Yamaha Grizzly 660 quad into a lake while drunk? They went back to get quad in daylight next day... he came back on Navy leave to find it would not turn over? Step son had moved out... we found out what happened months later. I pulled the plug and motor turned over pushing water out the cylinder? Crankcase full of water... exhaust pipe full of water... some 20 hours of maintenece later it was running. After draining engine and exhaust and cylinder and axles, pressure lubed cables and and and ... I had flushed the motor with gas and threw the oil filter (drained) in garbage can, flushed motor with oil couple times.

Next day while grinding some sparks went in garbage can (with oil filter that had gas fumes settled in can)... BOOOOOOM!!! blew the wall of garage out an inch or so behind it about five feet either side of garbage can, had to nail back on, blew front of garbage can off across garage with garbage everywhere, lucky i was not in path and I had garage door open or damage to garage and house could have been worse. I was wearing ear muffs so no hearing loss.

-= =-

i have quite the spontaneous sore throat
    ah you tried the hand sanitizer...

-= =-

Super Moderator
    at least if i did, i would have some kind of reason why i suddenly sound like christian bale portraying batman.

but i'm quite clueless as to what set it off.