Page 12 of 115 FirstFirst ... 278910111213141516172262112 ... LastLast

Thread: Whatever!!!!!!!!! Gearhead-EFI Edition

Quote Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
    I just found out that the guy who "accidentally" stole my Chevelle engine then offered me a good race engine in trade screwed me over twice. I pulled the Bowtie heads off the race engine to sell them and found one head has an external crack that was fiberglassed closed and painted, and the other head had a bent exhaust valve and water damage from a failed head gasket. The block isn't the high nickel block most of the race guys are looking for and I don't recognize the rods, either. And the oil pump has been removed for a dry sump app which may mean modifications have been made to the oil galleys. Now I'm wondering if my plan to use the shortblock with a set of Vortec heads is worth any more than the scrap value of the block. So much for the guys on the race team sticking together after the car owner died.
    I really hate when that happens...

Hard to find righteous friends anymore... worse in todays economy... forget strangers... I have gone to look at some things for sale that people just lie right to your face even after you point out they are full of poop to begin with and just wasted my time. People are desperate, times are hard. We just had two burgleries in our neiborhood. First ones since I've been here in 15 years...

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Quote Originally Posted by 93V8S10 View Post
    I repair homes for a living and I've seen enough that I never leave on a trip without shutting down the hot water heater and water supply to the house.
    I've been waiting to get up one morning and walk by the water heater and get wet feet for years, water heater was 21 years old! Just got an on demand water heater installed, 98% efficient new heater 95% efficeint, now I have a $6000 mortgage on my paid for house.... Old water heater was so full of sediment I had to air up tires on my hand truck and took three guys to get it out of house it was so heavy...

-= =-

I think this one was about 12 years old, according to a hand written date on the wall inside the box in the closet.
    Things are slowly starting to dry out, but now the pipe feeding water into the toilet in the small bathroom is leaking and has soaked the carpet in there!!!!
    IS IT EVER GONNA END
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

Vintage Methane Ejector
    21 years! Thats an old heater, amassing that some of them last so long. The average is 10 to 15 years. Your gonna like the new on demand system.

Quote Originally Posted by JeepsAndGuns View Post
    I think this one was about 12 years old, according to a hand written date on the wall inside the box in the closet.
    Things are slowly starting to dry out, but now the pipe feeding water into the toilet in the small bathroom is leaking and has soaked the carpet in there!!!!
    IS IT EVER GONNA END
    Yeah you'll catch up, lifes a bitch sometimes. Then get some linoleom or anything other than carpet for a bathroom...

Quote Originally Posted by 93V8S10 View Post
    21 years! Thats an old heater, amassing that some of them last so long. The average is 10 to 15 years. Your gonna like the new on demand system.
    Got good water up here! Replaced the heater units about 6 years ago and tried clearing the corrosion around them but I think it was full of sediment then.

On demand is a little slower to get hot water but after that it never ends! No more quick showers! Waiting to see what the utility bills do when we get a full month in. Nice thing about this new heater is the drop in filter, no more cleaning a foam pad. Wife said she already noticed way less dust in house. One side of the AC coil in cabinet had a 1/4 inch layer of dust on it almost like a felt pad and peeled off. Spent a good amount of time cleaning the entire coil. Man the wind blows around the house now with that free flowing. That alone has got to help AC in summer...

-= =-

Is there anything for music downloads like the old Napster or limwire anymore?

-= =-

Nevermind, my kid showed me how to use U torrent...

-= =-

Holy crap Batman!!! Don't install Windows Media Player update to 11. Or if you do disable media sharing! Then it just reinstalls itself on next startup? 2 days I've been chasing what I thought was a virus as my CPU usgae with nothing running was using 50 to 70% of my power? Found the exe in task manager and did a search thinking it would be a virus and it's Microsoft Windows Media player. What the heck were they thinking when they designed this to be able to use 1/2 to 3/4 of a 2.2 GHz processor?

-= =-

So what is it doing? Just not shutting down or something?
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

Just slowed my computer to a stand still. I usually have several programs open all day and never an issue. Have Winnows update set to auto so didn't notice the update from Windows Media Player 10 to 11 at first.

But when I started using my image software doing some big graphis for print, not web my computer was at a complete stand still, not locked up or fail. Looked at my gauges I have on desktop for CPU and RAM and CPU was at 100% ram was at 81% for several minutes! Usually never hit 50 to 80% for a few seconds.

It's a CPU HOG! And I only had it set to share on my home network, not with internet, and no other computers were on? So I don't know what is was doing. Found the exe command all over online, virtually shuts down slower computers and worse on XP. Disabled it and all is well!

-= =-

So how do you get it to stop doing that?

I think this might be why my RAM usage is always 40%+. I just opened WMP and noticed that it is updating the library.

WMP V12 BTW.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

12?

Man it's a CPU and RAM HOG!!!

Start button and search for services.msc then look for "Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service" file name is " wmpnetwk.exe " right click, properties, startup type DISABLE, tab on top to Recovery and set all three to "Take No Action" restart computer. Wow fast again!

Also try TweakNow PowerPack 2011 It does registry cleanup, registry defrag, all sorts of cool maintenance stuff, has RAM optimizer that dumps the 68MB windows saves from startup settings to free up RAM, easy way to turn off programs that are in startup menu. Very cool, free software!

-= =-

Administrator
    I have reaffirmed today that I cannot stand working on the GM V660 family of engines. 2 days to replace an intake manifold gasket on an '02 Malibu thanks in part to clips, brackets, and supports that all seem designed with no thought for servicing the vehicle. I can do the same job on a V8 van in 1/2 the time including flushing out the crankcase, and that application requires laying down to access everything inside the van thanks to the school bus door linkage and repeated trips from inside to outside and back because the front of the engine can only be reached from under the hood. No matter what I do with these engines it always turns into a PITA.

And thanks again GM for Death-Cool. None of this would have been necessary if you geniuses hadn't tried to corner the market on coolant additives.

Quote Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
    I have reaffirmed today that I cannot stand working on the GM V660 family of engines. 2 days to replace an intake manifold gasket on an '02 Malibu thanks in part to clips, brackets, and supports that all seem designed with no thought for servicing the vehicle. I can do the same job on a V8 van in 1/2 the time including flushing out the crankcase, and that application requires laying down to access everything inside the van thanks to the school bus door linkage and repeated trips from inside to outside and back because the front of the engine can only be reached from under the hood. No matter what I do with these engines it always turns into a PITA.

And thanks again GM for Death-Cool. None of this would have been necessary if you geniuses hadn't tried to corner the market on coolant additives.
    I feel your pain, we have a '99 Grand Am, 3.4L, original engine crapped out, broke the camshaft ,learned later from tear down was due to rusty cam journal (intake gasket failure previously I'm guessing), I went to PullandSave to get an engine, pulled a '02 brought it home put it in lasted 3 weeks for $140 - combustion gases in coolant. Then spent $700 on Ebay to get a used '04 one from a salvage place in WI. I googled the VIN, and found a police report in Wisconsin from when it had been totaled in a low speed front/side impact, so I new it was running when it was hit. So far we have about 4K miles on it and it seems to be doing real well. I have gotten to the point where I can go from empty engine bay to running in about 3 hours though.
    But yes the salvage engine had Death-Cool in it on arrival. Needles to say it got flushed and regular coolant put in.
    Last edited by gregs78cam; 02-05-2012 at 09:44 PM.
    1978 Camaro Type LT, 383, Dual TBI, '7427, 4L80E
    1981 Camaro Z-28 Clone, T-Tops, 350/TH350
    1981 Camaro Berlinetta, V-6, 3spd
    1974 Chevy/GMC Truck, '90 TBI 350, '7427, TH350, NP203, 6" lift, 35s

OK what's Death Cool? Is this that specail antifreeze some cars are said to require?

-= =-