Page 104 of 115 FirstFirst ... 4549499100101102103104105106107108109114 ... LastLast
Results 1,546 to 1,560 of 1723

Thread: Whatever!!!!!!!!! Gearhead-EFI Edition

Yep, as someone who has lost out on selling something because I was being nice and kept with an appointment, I now sell EVERYTHING as first come first served, no exceptions.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

No such thing as Mr Nice Guy anymore when it comes to selling or buying. No need to be rude either, but times have changed...

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Administrator
    This pisses me off SO MUCH! If he had told me that (first come first serve) I would have just went right then and not waited for my GF to get off from work. Reason I wanted to wait for her, was so if I bought it, I could drive it back and not have to make two trips (he was about a hour away). I had the cash in hand and it ran and drove as good as he said, I would have bought it.
    Try looking for a TDI in the 99 - 2003 range. That's a high demand vehicle and they really hold their value. I set up one appointment with a seller which involved scheduling up an entire holiday weekend around viewing the car on Monday. I called 1/2 hour before the appointment, as agreed, and was told "Oh. I went to NY." ??? Must not want to sell. I had $5300 between cash and money orders in my pocket ready to spend. No use crying, but seemed exceptionally rude.

The car I ended up buying was slightly different. It was 3 hrs away and the seller had received several calls and many emails. But plenty of no-shows. We talked, I said I was excited about the car, sounded like what I wanted, but no way I could get there for several days. I told him that unless car had any big surprises, I was prepared to buy for asking price. Seller had someone coming that night so I politely said "I realize there's no way I can prove that I'll come down, and it's unreasonable to ask you to hold it without a deposit, but I'd love a chance at it if the potential buyer backs out." Next day he said car was still available. He held it until Saturday and I went down and bought it. It's funny to think of, but I had to sell myself as the right buyer in order to spend $$ on his car.

And actually, that's a skill I've learned over the years. Try showing up at a house and asking to buy the old car or truck sitting outside. It's unregistered, rusted, hasn't moved in years. But it's not for sale. "That was grampy's/husband's/brother's/dad's truck, not for sale, sentimental value, etc." Takes patience and politeness and sometimes, multiple visits to get a vehicle like that. You've gotta "sell" the seller on the sale!

So is kelley blue book values worthless? Or does everyone think everything is worth gold?
    So I have seen a few other jeeps on craigslist. They look pretty clean and decent mileage. I look them up on kelley blue book and it always values them at about $500-1000 less than what people are asking for them. I have looked up 3 or 4 now like this. The owners are pretty firm on their prices. One guy for example had it listed at $3500. KBB puts it at $2500. I call and talk to him a bit about it. Good quality pics and it looks clean and has decent miles (140k) I ask about the price and make a offer of 2500 stating the kbb value, but the most he will come down to is 3000. If it was 4wd it might be woth that, but its only 2wd. I just cant see myself paying 3000 for a vehicle thats only worth 2500. Not to mention 2500 is my current budget.
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

Super Moderator
    most of the people that have cracked out prices tend to be going off of NADA pricing, which is crazy at times.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Fuel Injected!
    My dad always says "What's something worth? What someone will pay for it."

NADA: By dealers, FOR dealers. As my dealer friend said when I asked about NADA: "So you're going to let a group of CAR DEALERS tell you what you should pay?"

Edmunds is the most realistic IMHO. But no seller wants to hear those numbers. Use them as a bargaining chip.

When people think their stuff is worth a mint, you politely explain your offer, explain why you are the best buyer for their car, leave the offer and your phone number, then you leave, and wait. They will call you. Or you call/text them every two weeks. They will come down. Been there done that. Took awhile. The last three vehicles I bought took me an average of 45 days to negotiate a price, but I ended up with much better than average vehicles at slightly higher than average prices.

Finally, be aware of tax return season. Car prices go nuts during those times; avoid those times if you can, particularly if you're buying in the sub-$5k range.
    Last edited by sherlock9c1; 08-01-2014 at 05:10 AM.

Administrator
    Jeep prices are stupid. Period.

http://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/cto/4588468930.html
    $3750?? Not emissions compliant, not original, not able to pass inspection, not rust free, and almost 20 yrs old.

http://nh.craigslist.org/cto/4580412663.html
    $10k???? WTF????
    Here's what $10k should buy...
    http://nh.craigslist.org/cto/4586730171.html
    Or this:
    http://nh.craigslist.org/cto/4574827514.html
    Or even this:
    http://nh.craigslist.org/cto/4563037285.html

I don't understand why people want a Jeep badly enough that they'll pay $500 - $700 for "nearly rust-free" tubs but that's the market.

OTOH, try selling parts for a Cavalier, or an '80s Mercedes, or a first gen S10. I've got some stuff here I can't hardly give away.
    So if you want to put your g/f into a Cavalier on an S10 frame with an OM617 diesel swap, I can supply some parts to help!

That old ford looks pretty nice. I prefer the 78-79 body style myself. My dad had a 78 F250 when I was growing up. Lots of good memories in that truck.
    The M175 is nice but its missing the front bumper, brushguard, and those front fenders are not original M715 fenders, they are off a cherokee widetrack or a J10.
    The duce and a half is sweet. I have always wanted one, but would never have a use for it or anywhere to park it.
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

Administrator
    It's not just the Jeep market. Ever see Training Day? Denzel Washington plays a bad cop that drives a lowered 79 Monte in LA.

I've got a black '79 I built long before that movie came out. It doesn't look like the movie car and I know it. It's got '70s Rally wheels and T-tops and it had the proper stance for an '80s build, not this ridiculous thing today of making cars look like horse drawn wagons. But it's rusty and needs to be replaced. Try buying a '79 Monte now for a reasonable price, though. Every car is worth big money. Every car is like Training Day.

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/4577055557.html
    Wrong nose, wrong paint, and obnoxiously wrong wheels.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/eat/cto/4590973907.html
    Again, wrong grille. And needs a ton of work. But it's got a black door, so it's kinda close, right?

https://albuquerque.craigslist.org/cto/4567831915.html
    The amount of money & work you'd need to invest in making that a nice car is not small. $2500 should buy more than that imo. At least its the correct year. One guy is selling an '85 "just like training day" and it's not even the same body style. Jeez... what a way to ruin the market for a perfectly good car.

Anyway, good luck with the hunt. I need to spend the day replacing exhaust on the Suburban.

Fuel Injected!
    got my hands on an ls1 powered test car today.flashed my first real tune in today got some pretty decient gains over stock might have to spend some coin for some dyno time i think

Sweet.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by JeepsAndGuns View Post
    So after that mess saturday, I was checking craigslist again sunday morning, and there it was, the perfect jeep. It matched every detail of what I was looking for. 94 cherokee sport, great body, clean interior, low miles, auto, 4.0 engine. It had high quality pics and it looked great! I thought I had found my saving grace from that bad deal the day before. I call the guy up, hes the 2nd owner, everything works, been regularly serviced, etc.. Awesome! Price was right too. This was at 10am. I tell him I had to wait for my girlfriend to get home from work, eat some lunch and I would head his way to meet him. I told him it would be about 1:30-2:00. He says great, no problem, we set up a place and I say I will call when I am ready to head out. So about 1:45 we are ready to go. I call the guy and it goes straight to voicemail. OK, he might have went somewhere out of signal or something. I try back at 2, same thing. So I thought maybe his phone battery died and he just didnt notice. I decide to show my GF the ad so she can see the pics of it. Ad is gone! WTF. I knew right then what happened. The SOB sold it out from under me, after agreeing on a time and place to meet! I tried about once a hour till about 5 to get back in touch with him with no luck, just incase I was wrong. I call him this morning and get him, sure enough he sold it. I asked him about us agreeing on a time and place to meet and he said someone else came sooner and bought it, first come first serve.
    This pisses me off SO MUCH! If he had told me that (first come first serve) I would have just went right then and not waited for my GF to get off from work. Reason I wanted to wait for her, was so if I bought it, I could drive it back and not have to make two trips (he was about a hour away). I had the cash in hand and it ran and drove as good as he said, I would have bought it.
    I will never find one in that year range, with that low of mileage and in that good of shape ever again.

So last night around 7pm, I am checking craigslist for anything new and I see a ad for a 94 cherokee posted 12 hours ago. So I click on it and guess what I see. The exact same ad for the above jeep! WTF. Same pictures, same discription, same phone number (checked my phone) So now I am like WTH is going on here. So I call him up and ask about the jeep. I told him who I was and how we had agreed to meet that one day and he sold it. He says the guys check bounced so its back up for sale. (I'm thinking SWEET) Well because of the distance, we agree its too late to come right then, it was about to be dark and we didnt want to be out that late. I ask because of last time, is he willing to give me a fair chance to come see it and wait for me, holding it untill I get a chance to look at it this time. He says yes, he will hold it for me untill I can come see it. I tell him I get off work at 5 and can leave straight from there. He says thats fine, sounds good. I told him I had cash in hand, no checks from me, he said good, no more checks. I'm thinnking great, I have my second chance! So this morning I ask my boss if I can leave a hour early and he says thats fine. Awesome. So I call the guy back, tell him I can be there a hour sooner, he says perfect, he gets off work at like 4:30 so I should be getting there about the same time he gets home and that will work out even better, gives me his address and directions to get there. He calls back 5 seconds later and says he turned down a guy last night because all he had was 2400. I said thats fine, I have 2500 cash on me right now. He says ok, sounds good.
    4:00 rolls around, I clock out and I call to tell him I am on my way. He says hold up and wait about 20 min, there is a guy coming right now to look at it and he doesnt want me to waste a trip. He says "this guy has been bugging me all day and I told him I was meeting you at 4:30 and he says he can be there at 4:15, so I will call you if he doesnt buy it and you can come on" I mention our agreement and he says just be fair and wait on this guy "that he has called as many times as you".
    So now I'm pissed. I say ok and hang up. I just go on home. No word by 4:40, I call, no answer. He calls back about 5 min later and says hes sorry but the guy bought it. I am really pissed. I ask about the agreement to meet and and told him how this is now the 2nd time he has done this to me. He says "oh, your that guy?" I said yes! He then goes on about the first come first serve crap again and this guy beat me to it and hes sorry. I am so mad I cant even talk. I just say whatever and goodbye.
    I am so mad right now

Fuel Injected!
    That really sucks! I've gone through life learning it the difficult way, and the most grief is caused by trusting someone more than once. So now I try to live my life by the old saying.... "Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me."

On the bright side, at least you didn't get boned out of a down payment.
    '86 Grand National

Quote Originally Posted by 34blazer View Post
    "Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me."
    That exact same quote came into my mind after this cluster F. I should have known better, but the guy promised me he would hold it till I got a chance to look at it this time. Also, I cant and cant afford to just take off a day from work with no notice. SO I had no choice but to wait untill I got off work.
    I hope karma comes back and bites him hard in the butt.

Administrator
    The right deal will come along. IME if you fight and fight for something like this, you'll end up unhappy even if you get it.