Page 103 of 115 FirstFirst ... 353939899100101102103104105106107108113 ... LastLast
Results 1,531 to 1,545 of 1723

Thread: Whatever!!!!!!!!! Gearhead-EFI Edition

*sigh*

So since this week is my "holidays" I had decided on performing the engine swap on my car this week, since it would have given me 9 days with an open hoist, but it's 5 days in and I haven't even put my car on the hoist yet.

A few reasons why:

The current engine's alternator (GM CS130) decided to keep the regulator powered up and drain my battery overnight on Sunday night to Monday morning. Uhg. It took my about 20 minutes to find this, after charging the battery. I recalled that I had the same style alternator with a different front cover, that I had on my Jimmy about 12+ years ago, so I decided to swap the front covers and try it. No joy. *facepalm* A friedn loaned me his spare, swapped front covers again, and again no joy. *facepalm* This takes us into mid Tuesday by this point. I had the loaned alternator tested at a local Parts Source, and the voltage output was low, just like I measured on the car, but it seemed to me that it was battery voltage, not just a low charge voltage from the alternator. So I buy a used alternator for my friend's car, since it may have been me that caused the issue, but I'm not totally sure I did. Regardless I felt it was only right to do so. I MAY try installing this tomorrow, since it seems that I won't be doing the swap any time soon.

I had planned to retain the transmission that is currently in the car, a FS5W71B, to keep the overall swap to just engine work. I laid out an adapter weeks ago, but was only able to cut it out last week. I had some measurements of clutch depth and other pertinent dimensions from both engines for a while and thought I had calculated things correctly, but when I placed the adapter plate on the engine on Sunday I noticed something looked wrong. The flywheel didn't look to be far enough into the bellhousing. Remeasured things and I was correct, I messed up on the measurements, by 25.4mm, those that are astute, mayt notice this is 1", the same width as a ruler I was using to measure the clutch surface to block of a friend's engine, that I subtracted twice from the overall measurement. *d'oh*

Alright, recalculate and see what I need. I could have stacked up a flexplate and (2.2 S10) flywheel, along with a custom spacer between the two, to get the depth I need, but I am not comfortable with that much weight hanging that far off the end of the crank. Then I remembered the 2.8/3.1/3.4 in the F-bodies uses a thicker flywheel. Searched for and found some measurements and it looked very promising. Initial guestimate of the flywheel thickness places the clutch depth at the perfect distance. Since it was Sunday, I couldn't get my hands on one that day, so I waited until Monday to hit up my local wreckers. They didn't have one in stock, and there was one in Ontario, and it was still in the car when we called. *facepalm* Well, I had it ordered anyway, since it was so promising.

Today I received the flywheel. It's 2mm thicker than my guestimate, still workable though. It was also larger in diameter, but I knew this before ordering it, and I found info that a 14mm spacer between the starter and the block would be the correct distance to offset for the larger flywheel. I wasn't worried about this. So I mounted the flywheel to the engine, the adapter plate and then decided to hold up a front case/bellhousing of the trans I planned to use to the engine, but it wouldn't sit flat against the adapter plate. The flywheel is too large to fit inside the bellhousing. *d'oh* :facepalm:

So now what do I do?

I could have built a new bellhousing, that I was all for earlier this week, but when faced with that solution now, it just didn't seem worth it, especially since the trans is questionable on whether it will actually hold the power I plan to make right off the get go. So I decided I didn't really want to go that route, unless absolutely necessary.

So I explored another optiuon, using a different trans, the one that I planned to use in the end, when I will be making even more power, a FS5R30A. For those that are not up on their Nissan transmission models, this is a trans that was used from the late '80s to at least the '00s, in many RWD vehicles, and 4x4 trucks and SUVs. My particular trans is from a 1992 300ZX TT. Measurements look good, for flywheel fitment, the input shaft actually looks just like the one that is in my current trans, and it even uses the same spline for the clutch, so I can use my existing clutch! :woot: The clutch fork even looks identical, and the throwout bearing sleeve is the same size, so I should be able to use my existing throwout bearing as well!

I do need to make a custom driveshaft, and I need to figure out what to do about the shifter, since the stock 300ZX shifter will not work, it's too far back, I also don't have one, the Pathfinder location is too far forward, and I think that will remain true even after pushing the drivetrain as far back in the chassis as I can. I am hoping that I can make a custom shifter that will place it just right.

So I started laying out a new adapter plate tonight, and will hopefully have it finalized and cut out tomorrow. I may then actually pull the car apart on Friday, and at least get mounts made, and all prepped. I can then throw the original drivetrain back in, if I need to, while I sort out some of the other details.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Administrator
    Sorry to hear you've had such bad luck.

Are you obligated / committed to the Nissan trans? If that was a GM 60 deg V6 you're swapping then there's a bellhousing to allow Aisin trans to bolt up. You probably know some of the 80's Jeeps came with a 2.8 and there are some fairly strong Aisin trans (i.e. Supra Turbo) that have nice gear ratio spread.

Meh, it's all part of hot rodding.

Yeah, there are a couple other transmissions that I could bolt up, but from what I've seen they won't be able to handle the power I plan to make in the end. Not sure this one will either, but it sounds the most promising. It'll work out in the end.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

So today as I was drilling holes in the new adapter, the drill press decides to not like the drive belt and slipped when ever a load was applied. *arg* *wallbang*

Progress. I have improved the adapter plate since these pictures were taken earlier, but I don't seem to have those pictures.

Attached Images Attached Images

Super Moderator
    i like the direction those headers are going!
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Yeah, once I get the V-drive hooked up, the prop should be pretty easy after that, then the headers can exit out the hull...

and I thought they were for a turbo..

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Fuel Injected!

adware 32

hi was surfing the internet looking for a sour dough recipe, all the sudden had a pop up[your pc has a adware your anti viruse cannot detect it, call 1 855 412 1786 to correct the problem] . traced the number with white pages pittsburg #,any way running windows 7 . went to program features found 2 programs that I didn't know was there. weebsaver an iobit safe surfer. removed both of them fixed the problem,it was proble the weebsaver. thought I would post this it had to be down loaded when I was opening some of them web sights.

Quote Originally Posted by ony View Post
    hi was surfing the internet looking for a sour dough recipe, all the sudden had a pop up[your pc has a adware your anti viruse cannot detect it, call 1 855 412 1786 to correct the problem] . traced the number with white pages pittsburg #,any way running windows 7 . went to program features found 2 programs that I didn't know was there. weebsaver an iobit safe surfer. removed both of them fixed the problem,it was proble the weebsaver. thought I would post this it had to be down loaded when I was opening some of them web sights.
    Ony do yourself a favor, go to www.malwarebytes.org, and download the FREE malwarebytes tool and run it on your computer. You will not be sorry, it is the #1 rated malware removal tool in the industry today.
    Square body stepsides forever!!!

Fuel Injected!
    I down loaded it and it found 1 must have been a sleeping one and 35 active ones,i put them into qarrintine .

You know the old saying "the camera adds 10 lbs" Well I guess in the case of vehicles, it must take off 10 years.
    Been looking for a XJ cherokee for my girlfriend. Nothing too fancy, just something to get her back and forth to work. There has been pretty slim pickings around here and I was looking at some ZJ grand cherokees too. It doesnt have to be 4wd, but it must have the 4.0 (no V8) I really would prefer a XJ, but might concider a ZJ if the price was right and it was decent enough.
    So I found one that from the pictures on craigslist looked pretty decent, price was right, 4.0, auto, 2wd, guy talks it up pretty good. But it was about 1.5 hours away.
    So I decide to go look at it yesterday afternoon. Long ass drive, gps didnt have the exact house number, got lost and a few miles down the wrong road but finally found him. OMG what a peice of junk! Interior was musty nasty smelling, dirty nasty stained carpet, rear axle sounded like it was about to fall out of it going through a parking lot, engine almost stalls when coming to a stop, pulls to the left when braking, etc...
    I was so mad. Told him I have been looking at a few, and had a few more to look at before I decided which one I wanted. What a complete waste of a trip and my valuable saturday afternoon. ugh..
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

So after that mess saturday, I was checking craigslist again sunday morning, and there it was, the perfect jeep. It matched every detail of what I was looking for. 94 cherokee sport, great body, clean interior, low miles, auto, 4.0 engine. It had high quality pics and it looked great! I thought I had found my saving grace from that bad deal the day before. I call the guy up, hes the 2nd owner, everything works, been regularly serviced, etc.. Awesome! Price was right too. This was at 10am. I tell him I had to wait for my girlfriend to get home from work, eat some lunch and I would head his way to meet him. I told him it would be about 1:30-2:00. He says great, no problem, we set up a place and I say I will call when I am ready to head out. So about 1:45 we are ready to go. I call the guy and it goes straight to voicemail. OK, he might have went somewhere out of signal or something. I try back at 2, same thing. So I thought maybe his phone battery died and he just didnt notice. I decide to show my GF the ad so she can see the pics of it. Ad is gone! WTF. I knew right then what happened. The SOB sold it out from under me, after agreeing on a time and place to meet! I tried about once a hour till about 5 to get back in touch with him with no luck, just incase I was wrong. I call him this morning and get him, sure enough he sold it. I asked him about us agreeing on a time and place to meet and he said someone else came sooner and bought it, first come first serve.
    This pisses me off SO MUCH! If he had told me that (first come first serve) I would have just went right then and not waited for my GF to get off from work. Reason I wanted to wait for her, was so if I bought it, I could drive it back and not have to make two trips (he was about a hour away). I had the cash in hand and it ran and drove as good as he said, I would have bought it.
    I will never find one in that year range, with that low of mileage and in that good of shape ever again.
    It has to be 91-95. Older than 91 and it has either a carb engine, or the crappy fuel injection on the 4.0 (renix). No newer than 95 because I would like to stay with obd1. Plus, lots of the late model 4.0's had problem with cracked piston skirts and cracked heads. It has to be auto cause she is not good with a manual (trying to teach her, but its slow going) It does not have to be 4x4, 2wd is fine, all it is for is getting back and forth to work and aroud town. It doesnt have to be perfect, but I am not buying a clapped out hunk of junk. I want it to be atleast pretty decent.
    I am not completely aganst another grand cherokee, but lots of them have a V8 and I really dont want that. Plus the 4.0 models have the crappy 42RE trans (where the cherokees have the much better AW4) But the grands seem to be either all clapped out and trashed, or still super nice and out of our price range.
    This is a loosing battle.
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

I've found if you see a deal on CL? You run.... no plans.... just run....

Sold my Evinrude motor yesterday, first person that called and first person to call on ad on first day! Stayed with the asking price as the phone was ringing while he was here, I just took numbers to call back if still available! He took it at asking price!

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-