Page 47 of 115 FirstFirst ... 3742434445464748495051525797 ... LastLast

Thread: Whatever!!!!!!!!! Gearhead-EFI Edition

if I remember correctly when I had my 02 chevy truck just beginning the modding it could pull up to 28 to 30 degrees timing if needed. and it would pull timing on every shift of the transmission. hated it. but it kept them from tearing up trannies.

Super Moderator
    well, that's torque management... which i also have implimented, when necessary, but this is for when the engine/trans/final drive/torque converter make too much torque for the tires.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Quote Originally Posted by RobertISaar View Post
    but this is for when the engine/trans/final drive/torque converter make too much torque for the tires.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Super Moderator
    with FWD, it doesn't take much.

with a light RWD(especially with some fast gears), still beneficial.

i want to see the AWD/4WD monster that needs it though.... i know some of the Sy/Ty guys have traction issues.

Found an old hard drive that I forgot what was on it? So I put it in my desktop as secondary... found 46GB of old LimeWire music collected... and proceeded to listen to Led Zeplin all day, every album they ever made.

I still have an unused LZ concert ticket somewhere from 1980? concert that was cancelled when john bonham died... memory is a little fuzzy from that era...

-= =-

Administrator
    I still have an unused LZ concert ticket somewhere from 1980? concert that was cancelled when john bonham died... memory is a little fuzzy from that era...
    That's kind of funny. I've got an unused ticket for AC/DC, roughly 85 vintage. Always trying to be prepared, I managed to get ahead of the curve at the pre-party and was unable to make it to the car for the ride to the show. So they tell me.

Administrator
    isn't that torque management??
    No. Think about it. In order to produce a torque there has to be some resistance. Try putting 30 ft-lbs on a nut that's spinning freely on a bolt. You'll turn the torque wrench around and around until the nut hits some resistance. No, we're definitely talking about traction control.

on another note while taking cummins engine classes for a license I found out what an algorithm was finally. damn step by step.
    I'm only laughing because that same type of thing has happened to me. Keep hearing a big name for something and when you learn what it is you think "That's it!!?"

i want to see the AWD/4WD monster that needs it though.... i know some of the Sy/Ty guys have traction issues.
    There was a video of a Vauxhall floating around with four tires spinning. FWD cars have very little mechanical advantage to rely on. I have a few drawings for FWD traction aids that apply pressure to the lower control arms by trying to lift the body near the driver's seat. Lots of thinking though and I've decided the way to go for a front driver is to follow the H*nda route by keeping peak torque at a reasonable level but making the curve as flat as possible and extending it to as high an rpm as my wallet can afford. 250 ft/lbs is pretty mild but if it's delivered at 8000 rpm you're approaching 400 hp.
    Last edited by 1project2many; 04-10-2013 at 02:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
    There was a video of a Vauxhall floating around with four tires spinning. FWD cars have very little mechanical advantage to rely on. I have a few drawings for FWD traction aids that apply pressure to the lower control arms by trying to lift the body near the driver's seat. Lots of thinking though and I've decided the way to go for a front driver is to follow the H*nda route by keeping peak torque at a reasonable level but making the curve as flat as possible and extending it to as high an rpm as my wallet can afford. 250 ft/lbs is pretty mild but if it's delivered at 8000 rpm you're approaching 400 hp.
    What do the FWD cars use a 1/4 mile? I've seen them launch great, can't be just the wheelie bar... wheelie bar? Traction bar?

-= =-

Administrator
    The ones I've worked with used air bags in the rear suspension and soft, sticky drag tires. I drew up the bars about 8 years ago so maybe the tech has caught up with me by now.

isn't that torque management??
    No. Think about it. In order to produce a torque there has to be some resistance. Try putting 30 ft-lbs on a nut that's spinning freely on a bolt. You'll turn the torque wrench around and around until the nut hits some resistance. No, we're definitely talking about traction control.

ok people may call it different things. torque management is the ecm's ability to pull spark ( or timing ) on newer vehicles to prevent tearing something up. others might call it traction control. from my own experience with that would be to use the brakes and timing. I know our avy will do both.

Super Moderator
    new? GM has been implimenting it since AT LEAST 1988... lots of methods along the way too.

speaking of, i should probably finish that little project up.

Its that time of year again. Everything has a thick coating of yellow...lol
    At work yesterday a gust of wind came along and the air turned instantly into a dark yellow cloud.

But thats ok, I'll take this yellow dust and 85 degree days anytime over cold and rainy.
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

Quote Originally Posted by JeepsAndGuns View Post
    I'll take this yellow dust and 85 degree days anytime over cold and rainy.
    Western Washington State, were I live, only has about 90 days a year when it's NOT cold and rainy.

dave

Administrator
    I'll gladly concede that Dave gets more dark, cool days than we have (and offer my sympathy as well). But the average annual rainfall numbers for NH attest to the amount of rain we get when the skies do open up. (46.25" Concord, NH vs 40.5" Seattle, WA). Surprisingly, every time I've been to Seattle it's been sunny and warm.

Interesting pages for making comparisons:
    http://www.usa.com/seattle-wa-weather.htm
    http://www.usa.com/concord-nh-weather.htm

It made it to 60 a couple of days ago but it was snowing a bit today at 40 deg. and we've got the fire going right now. The earliest plants are poking out of the ground but winter's really trying to hold on this year. Sunday AM we'll probably wake up to a couple of inches of accumulated snow.

I'm only one degree warmer then you and Daves heating bill is less...

http://www.usa.com/coeur-d-alene-id-weather.htm

-= =-