Thread: Whatever!!!!!!!!! Gearhead-EFI Edition

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Super Moderator

Whatever!!!!!!!!! Gearhead-EFI Edition

borrowing the concept from W-Body.com, since it has been INCREDIBLY successful there, with the original thread reaching 149,993 posts(page number 10,000) from 5-4-2005 to 4-7-2010, we since have made a V2 of the thread and from 4-7-2010 to current, we're up to 29,074 posts...

essentially, this thread can be used for nearly anything: venting about your day, posting a pic of something interesting you saw, jokes, etc...

because sometimes, a forum needs to not be so incredibly specific about who or what it caters to.

also: unless Mark says otherwise, anything that could be considered NSFW? don't post it directly, if at all. be CERTAIN to clearly label it as such.

have fun!

I LOVE Futurama.... i don't watch much TV at all, but that is something i rarely miss.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Administrator
    Talent?? I thought we had a bunch of hacks here!

Quote Originally Posted by lightning-jr View Post
    With the talent pool we have here it's good to check in on a regular basis.
    EFI conversion and tuning development, training, discussion, without restrictions!

Quote Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
    Talent?? I thought we had a bunch of hacks here!
    White hats! I hope...

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    EFI conversion and tuning development, training, discussion, without restrictions!

White hats! I hope...
    Uh oh, my hats are all black...
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

All my jackets have hoods?

-= =-

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    All my jackets have hoods?
    I once lost my shirt in the hood. Got out before I lost anything else.

Pretty good, you removed the spammer link I saw in the email, you also did not post as required in introductions? So why should I not delete this and ban you?

Why force a girl, who is really different then a boy face it! To do things they don't want to? Some have the desire, it's what attracted me to my wife od 28 years. She could wear a short skirt and heels and act like a lady and the next day be helping me swap motors, detail and paint and engine comparment, her father brought her up well, but she waqs still a lady first! Not many like her!

-= =-

Well, I found about a foot long peice of thick wall tubing that fit the crank real close. Using my dial indacator, I got the bend pointing up. I then put the pipe on the crank, then put a crow bar in the other end, sat on the end of that, and took a short handled 5lb slege hammer and hit the end of the crank. After lot of banging, measureing with the indacator, I was able to get it down to .003 out. Pretty dang close. I knocked the flywheel/pulley back on it and gave it a go. It still has a very slight wobble, but I think it shouldnt hurt it for the light home duty I will be using it for. Now if I was using it for a shop that would be a different story.
    I ran it and found a leak on the outlet reducer busing, had to remove that and reseal. Also found the unloader valve is leaking when its running. Its a brand new switch. So I contacted the seller and they are supposed to be sending a replacement unloader.
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

Quote Originally Posted by JeepsAndGuns View Post
    Well, I found about a foot long peice of thick wall tubing that fit the crank real close. Using my dial indacator, I got the bend pointing up. I then put the pipe on the crank, then put a crow bar in the other end, sat on the end of that, and took a short handled 5lb slege hammer and hit the end of the crank. After lot of banging, measureing with the indacator, I was able to get it down to .003 out. Pretty dang close. I knocked the flywheel/pulley back on it and gave it a go. It still has a very slight wobble, but I think it shouldnt hurt it for the light home duty I will be using it for. Now if I was using it for a shop that would be a different story.
    I ran it and found a leak on the outlet reducer busing, had to remove that and reseal. Also found the unloader valve is leaking when its running. Its a brand new switch. So I contacted the seller and they are supposed to be sending a replacement unloader.
    I've had SBC cranks straightened by machine shops that have crank grinding equipment. Maybe in the near future you can get your compressor crank professionally straightened?

dave w
    Last edited by dave w; 07-07-2014 at 02:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    I've had SBC cranks straightened by machine shops that have crank grinding equipment. Maybe in the near future you can get your compressor crank professionally straightened?

dave w
    I am going to keep a close eye on it. There is no play in the bearings right now. If I feel any start, I will stop, disassemble and check my options. Either try and find a shop to straighten it, or replace. But I am thinking with the light duty I will be using it for, it might not run enough to hurt anything. It spins relatively slow. Using a pulley calculator online, it puts the compressor at about 775 rpm. Owners manual say max of 1000 rpm, min of 400 rpm. Now if it was spinning near max rpm, or I was running it all day every day, it would be a different story.
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

Administrator
    Now if it was spinning near max rpm, or I was running it all day every day, it would be a different story.
    If you calculate the amount of energy stored in that flywheel you might just change your mind. A 50#, 14" diameter flywheel rotating at 775 rpm that got loose would accelerate to 32.28 miles per hour and would make contact with an object with over 3 hp at the OD.