Thread: 16197427 $OD BJYM Tuning

Carb and Points!

16197427 $OD BJYM Tuning

Hi everyone,

Hope the new year is going well.

So I've taken some time to try and figure some things out on my own and would like some reassurance I'm not going to damage anything.

Truck was originally a V6, Harris tuned a chip for me and I recently put on a summit tbi head carb intake and adapted to TBI. 1102 Summit Cam, Flowmaster Y pipe/converter, 3" single exhaust and AEM intake. 3.73 to 4.11 gears. 265/75-16 Cooper Discoverer STT

So I've been datalogging some just to learn and play with all the incredibly helpful spreadsheets I've found on here. I'm very handy on excel so I appreciate something about this learning process I can follow. So now it's time to start dialing things in.

Currently the truck will stall out and restart fine until its warmed up, using 78.8 lb/hr, 4DA with EGR off and WBO2 settings used. It does run good when on throttle with the exception of an occasional backfire/hickup usually when coming off cruise. According to the WBO2 I'm not running lean. So here's what I've burnt to do my initial chip that I'll data log with that I will be using for the tables. All the WBO2 flags and tables listed in tunerpro (Code 32 NS, Linear EGR S, USe L4783 S, Backpressure EGR NS, EGR off in Open Loop NS, EGR off at idle NS) Zeroed out Desired EGR vs RPM vs Vacuum and EGR Fuel Reduction vs RPM vs Vacuum. In addition I changed fuel to 78.8v lb/hr (measured fuel pressure at 18-19 psi and using a trusted flow at 14.7 psi I converted my flow) Smoothed out my VE tables using 0.7, set initial timing to 4 degrees at distributor and in bin, Maxed out following settings: min temp for dcfo, min temp for pe, min speed for egr, temp for egr on. I have read in EagleMark's tutorial http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...-data-Tutorial! to shut off air pump and highway lean mode. Does my bin have those? I searched using the function and also scrolling and didn't find anything.

My plan, warm up the truck. Start recording and do some highway driving trying to vary load and tps? I live in rural Kansas so no on ramps or anything but I can find some hills. I plan to get the info, use history tables and spreadsheets to fine tune. When I get everything dialed in with these settings by changing VE tables what do I need to return to normal? My intake manifold does not have EGR so it will stay off but if I get it dialed in I will likely plug WBO2 port and remove gauge.

Also, for the 4.11 gears what is the easiest way to change my shift tables and pressures? I did put a shift kit and corvette servo in years back but it doesn't shift very firm.

Thanks! I have learned a ton but feel like I've got a long long ways to go.

PS: Sorry for the lengthy post
    Last edited by gcook; 01-12-2021 at 06:40 AM.

Link to Bluecat Transmission Table Software: https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...Table-Software You can use "Transpose" in Excel to realign the cells to match your shift table.

Are you using the WBO2 spreadsheet posted in this gearhead-efi link? http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...g)-Spreadsheet

I leave the following parameters stock when I tune: min temp for dcfo, min temp for pe

I smooth with 0.55, personal preference. Injector flow can be challenging because what an injector is rated to flow vs. what an injector is actually flowing vs. what flow rate is programmed into the chip can be very different values. All VE cells Rich, adjust the injector flow rate. All VE cells Lean, adjust the injector flow rate. When some VE cells are rich and some VE cells are lean, then it time to adjust the VE table.

I change PE delay to ZERO.

I filter the spreadsheet for AE active to adjust the AE tables.

dave w

Carb and Points!
    Thank you Dave! Yes that is the WBO2 sheet I have. I'll readjust the min temp for dfco and pe. This is a great place to start and should keep me busy! What's the longest drive you'd recommend for a log?

I stage the tuning process. With the computer in closed loop, I dive residential speeds for about 5 minutes and make adjustments. The next test drive, with the computer in closed loop, includes about 5 minutes residential speeds and 5 minutes boulevard speeds and make adjustments. The next drive is a rinse and repeat of the second test drive plus 5 minutes of freeway, highway, or interstate speeds and make adjustments. Any subsequent test drives should include all normal driving conditions and legal posted speed limits , including a few "panic stops".

I'm very fortunate, my test loop includes a stretch of posted 70 MPH and a 2 mile stretch of 6% grade hill climb / decent. I'm not far from the Cascade Mountains Range of western Washington State. On most days, I can see both Mount Saint Helens and Mount Hood.

dave w