Thread: 95 Astro V6 to 55 Chevy swap

Fuel Injected!

95 Astro V6 to 55 Chevy swap

New to this site and reading tons of past posts ; just trolling the threads , learning as I go . My V6 engine swap into my 55 Chevy is my way of cleaning up the shop , using all the pieces that have been lying around gathering dust for ages . My old Chevy sat in a barn waiting for me to retire for 23 years , and finally got dragged on home for a resto-mod . I had a neighbour unable to sell his rusty 95 Astro with a new V6 engine and 4L60E trans , so finally took pity on him , brought the Astro home and stripped out engine, trans and the ECM and harness . I scrapped it , and sold the trans and van body for what I had in it . Hiding under the bench was an old M20 Muncie that needed a new cluster and bearings , so one thing leading to another , I put the engine and Muncie together with a new clutch , and stuffed the powertrain in my 55 Chevy . I now have a shop full of wire harness to sort out , then bought the GM Astro manuals and am sorting out the wire harness one sensor at a time . I ran into a small snag with the VSS input for my ECm , and (finally) that brings me to my question of the day . I unwrapped the ECM out of its box , flipped it over to get part # for further research , and discovered 2 part #'s , one above the other , the top #1619747 , and under that is #16212125 . My question is , which part# is for the ECM ? According to the manuals , there's no anti-theft (VATS) to worry about , and I'm using a 4-speed so the auto trans harness isn't needed; another question might be , do I need to worry about those missing trans inputs ? For the VSS signal . I'm fabbing a 40-tooth reluctor wheel onto the front yoke of the driveshaft ; i was going to build it into the case of the trans , but this way is more fun and less work . Your forum is amazing ; I had no idea the web would lead me here . The learning curve may be steep , but so was Pike's Peak and we did that in 1969 ; just love to learn new stuff. Be safe...Bob.

OK if you post pics of Pikes Peak in 1969 I'll help!

Actually I'd probably help if you don't but would be cool to see an ol gearhead doing Pikes Peak back then.

Chances are you missed a number and the PCM is 16197427 which is a very good one to use. I'm running one in a conversion without VSS but it was a lot more work then older units without VSS. That said all I have done without VSS have been much better with VSS so keep going there.

All the wiring diagrams you'll need are in the 16197427 PCM info thread:
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...Information-OD

In that thread you will find XDF file used to make changes to bin file on chip and ADX file to record data from the system using TunerPro RT software. There are other options but more expensive and less options...

The missing trans inputs and changing to manual trans will take some tweaking of chip, probably have to turn off a few things into a conversion to avoid the CEL, but a good start would be a 4.3L Manual trans bin file. HTH get you started.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Yes, the missing trans inputs will cause you headaches. The PCM with stock programming for the 4L60E requires those inputs to be happy, it will even affect the way the engine runs.

You have a few options.

-Get into programming the ECM, and set up a bin for a manual/non electronic trans set-up.
    -Use an existing manual bin file, that you can download from somewhere, I'm sure we have one or two here.
    -Use a different ECM, that will run just the engine.

Personally I like the features of the 16197427 PCM enough, that I would use it in a manual set-up and change what I had to to make it happy.

Don't forget about wiring in the DRAC/4 out buffer, this important to convert the signal from the VSS to something the PCM will be able to use. That being said, it has been indicated that you can use a 2 or 4 pole (2 or 4 PPM) VSS, directly to the PCM, when you're not using an electronic trans. I had limited success with this, but didn't give it much looking at, since the plan was to install a 4L60E shortly after the EFI conversion anyway.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

The 16197427 PCM will accept 2000 pulse per mile VSS sensors without the need for a DRAC.

http://store03.prostores.com/servlet...FI-Swap/Detail

dave w

Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    The 16197427 PCM will accept 2000 pulse per mile VSS sensors without the need for a DRAC.

http://store03.prostores.com/servlet...FI-Swap/Detail

dave w
    Yes it can. I just finished putting in a newer('81) gauge cluster in my '74 Chevy truck, mounted the optical VSS to the speedo, and removed the DRAC. Works great.
    1978 Camaro Type LT, 383, Dual TBI, '7427, 4L80E
    1981 Camaro Z-28 Clone, T-Tops, 350/TH350
    1981 Camaro Berlinetta, V-6, 3spd
    1974 Chevy/GMC Truck, '90 TBI 350, '7427, TH350, NP203, 6" lift, 35s

Quote Originally Posted by gregs78cam View Post
    Yes it can. I just finished putting in a newer('81) gauge cluster in my '74 Chevy truck, mounted the optical VSS to the speedo, and removed the DRAC. Works great.
    That's actually how I'm running a VSS in my Datsun, GM Optical VSS, and buffer, mounted to a modified 280Z speedo. I now know there's a 240ZX electronic VSS, that fits right in my tans, that I could use, along with an electronic speedo. Oh well.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Fuel Injected!
    For sure , nothing more satisfying than beating the system ; building my own VSS does it for me . Probably in another year or so I'll be wanting the OD option , and go to a 5speed anyways , and that'll be the end of the cable speedo. Now to find out how to make adjustments to that ECM ; I built my own PC and laptop out of hand-me-down and throwaway parts , so I figure I can tackle this too. So far the 55 Chevy build is ALL done at home in my own shop ,and that's how I like it . Looking down the road , I'm more nervous about body, paint and upholstery than the rest of the electrical and mechanical part . Right away it looks like I'll need another laptop just for shop/tuning jobs. Love the designation "carb and points". Be safe...Bob.

Another few posts and you'll be elctronic ignition, another few posts and you'll be fuel injected!

-= =-

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    Another few posts and you'll be elctronic ignition, another few posts and you'll be fuel injected!
    Like the back of our D/Gas car used to say , "Injection's nice , but I'd rather be blown". Pretty neat way to ID the new guys on the block . Now to find my way through the maze of tuning goodies and software . Thanks for helping me get started . Be safe...Bob.
    Last edited by romac55; 06-18-2012 at 03:46 PM. Reason: typo

http://tunerpro.net/

And the files for it are in link I gave earlier. Check the TunerPro forum for new user Must read and you'll get up to speed quick.

-= =-

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    http://tunerpro.net/

And the files for it are in link I gave earlier. Check the TunerPro forum for new user Must read and you'll get up to speed quick.
    Thanks Mark ; hey, is that a bowtie in that 50lb brain in your avatar ? Be safe...Bob.

Ha! Yes, a little Bowtie in a big brain space...

-= =-