Thread: lsdroid help.

Carb and Points!

lsdroid help.

Hi guy's I hope I posting this in the correct area. I'm very new to this. So sorry for my ignorance but I was playing around and I read my P01. I found out that the bin I have has a OS that doesn't have a XDF available. So I was just going to change the to another that has a XDF (12208322). Then I did something wrong. Now it says I need to flash OS and calibration. Problem is that it will not let me because I haven't had three successful calibration writes. Any advice or should I get another P01 and go from there. thanks!

thumbnail (1).jpgthumbnail.jpg
    Last edited by dave w; 01-13-2021 at 03:52 PM.

Carb and Points!
    Sorry I don't know why it is in dark text

Fuel Injected!
    I think you have a bricked PCM operating system. There is a PIN under the lid of the PCM that can be grounded to put it very briefly into recovery mode but you must work quickly to achieve the recovery with LS Droid. PCM Hammer might also support a recovery.

Was this write attempt with the PCM installed in the vehicle or using a bench harness? Using a bench harness and a good two amp well regulated 13.8 VDC power supply is highly recommended.

Rick
    Last edited by B52Bombardier1; 01-11-2021 at 11:15 AM.
    1970 Chevy El Camino, LM7 Engine, 4L60E - Two 896 and two 0411 PCM's

Carb and Points!
    Oh man just my luck, I anticipated this. Ill try the grounding the pin trick
    Thanks

Carb and Points!
    Have you ever encountered the "bad AND argument" problem?

I read 3 or 4 ECUs I had laying around just to get a feel for the Tunerpro software, when I wanted to try writing to one I got an error that said "bad argument to AND"
    No one seems to know what it is. I downloaded fresh onto a S8, S9, and even an emulator on my Surface table and I keep getting the same error all around. It seems to be related to the patch notification published this week.

Here is how you get your 3 writes with LS Droid!
    You read your original .bin file
    Then you write that exact original file back to the ecm with no changes.
    This unlocks the ECM and LS Droid.
    Then you can flash the ECM with the new operating system that has a reliable .xdf to use with Tuner Pro

NOTE: Pete has designed LS Droid so it is nearly impossible to brick a ecm. You have to do something really crazy to accomplish it.

NOTE: unless your build has a completely standalone harness, it is best to read and write using a bench harness.
    The power supply must be capable of maintaining at least 12.6 volts @ at least 1 amp for the entire write. Anything less will not work.

If you are on Facebook join the LS Droid Page, there are some much better versed individuals there then myself. I wrote new operating systems last weekend to 3 P59's in about 12 minutes after doing the unlock routine on each one.
    Jack of all trades, absolutely master of none! Too many projects, not enough time and limited funds.
    Geronimo, Guadalupe County, Texas
    1993 K1500 Suburban - SBC Refit retraining the TBI and Computer Control.
    2004 Z66 Avalanche 5;3 to 6.0 LQ9 upgrade - project pending

No,I doubt he could brick it, especially since he did not follow instructions and get to the point he could unlock the ecm/pscm. Pete designed fail safes into the program to prevent that from happening. About the only way it could be bricked during a write would be a serious voltage spike.
    It is obvious from his second image that he is trying to write the ecm in the vehicle and not on a bench harness, thus the error with the bus collision.

Quote Originally Posted by B52Bombardier1 View Post
    I think you have a bricked PCM operating system. There is a PIN under the lid of the PCM that can be grounded to put it very briefly into recovery mode but you must work quickly to achieve the recovery with LS Droid. PCM Hammer might also support a recovery.

Was this write attempt with the PCM installed in the vehicle or using a bench harness? Using a bench harness and a good two amp well regulated 13.8 VDC power supply is highly recommended.

Rick
    Jack of all trades, absolutely master of none! Too many projects, not enough time and limited funds.

Carb and Points!
    Quote Originally Posted by trlrider View Post
    No,I doubt he could brick it, especially since he did not follow instructions and get to the point he could unlock the ecm/pscm. Pete designed fail safes into the program to prevent that from happening. About the only way it could be bricked during a write would be a serious voltage spike.
    It is obvious from his second image that he is trying to write the ecm in the vehicle and not on a bench harness, thus the error with the bus collision.
    I got this exact error tonight. I had the charger on my battery the first time and showed 13.10 VDC.
    I posted on LS Droid FB group and they blamed voltage, so I tried it while jumped off a running vehicle at 14.50 VDC.
    All I know now is that it fails to write every time.

Carb and Points!
    This was not in the vehicle so it is not "obvious" I did do something wrong but it wasn't my bench harness. It is fixed now thanks to the help I received. Once again thanks to the people with helpful comments

Quote Originally Posted by Paraquat View Post
    I got this exact error tonight. I had the charger on my battery the first time and showed 13.10 VDC.
    I posted on LS Droid FB group and they blamed voltage, so I tried it while jumped off a running vehicle at 14.50 VDC.
    All I know now is that it fails to write every time.
    Programming/Flashing anything requires a clean and consistent power source. Using a car charger or another vehicle does not server that purpose.
    A car charger is just that, a charger and the charge is not filtered to eliminate ripples and other issues.
    Using another vehicle is also not a clean power supply. A simple non-filtered led lamp in the second vehicle can cause enough interference in the can bus of the vehicle to stop the programing/flashing from completing properly.
    Had a similar issue a couple of weeks ago when doing some testing. Realized the LED light string was on the cabinets on my work bench. Turned them off and the problem went away.
    If you have access to a scope or even a frequency counter, take a look at the ripples from your standard car charger or even a non-filtered LED light. Had a customers Kenworth come in last month that had someone install a bunch of LED lighting. Ever time he turned the lights on the unit would start mis-firing! The cause was rf interference from the lights to the ECM.

Many have found the Belker 45w Universal power supply works great for bench harnesses and can be found as low as $12.00. Not sure if I can post a link to purchase
    on the forum, message me if you would like the info! Tested this unit on a swap vehicle (stand alone, no other electronics except the PCM) last weekend as a power booster and it worked great, keeping the battery voltage in the vehicle at a constant 13.2 volts with no power ripples. We just did this as a test to measure voltages. On that vehicle the PCM/ECM is located such it takes less then a minute to pull it and put it on the bench harness.