Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help with tuning?

Electronic Ignition!
    Ah I see. I updated that post just a second ago if you have any suggestions for that aldl datalogging issue or would that be because of my attempting to use the xdf in the software in place of the adx?

Electronic Ignition!
    Thats what they were saying over at moates basically just that learning the beginnings would take that long to actually get writing tunes myself. In regards to the XDF ADX Is that why im having issues getting my aldl to work?

Here's the gearhead-efi link for TunerPro RT files, 1995 Pickup with 4L60E: http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...Information-0D

Here's the gearhead-efi link for TunerPro RT files, 1995 Pickup with 4L80E: http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...Information-31

dave w

Quote Originally Posted by countylinegarage View Post
    Ah I see. I updated that post just a second ago if you have any suggestions for that aldl datalogging issue or would that be because of my attempting to use the xdf in the software in place of the adx?
    Ignore the hardware not found error, that's for emulation devices, like the Ostrich 2.0 and AutoProm.

You need to go into preferences and set everything for the cable in there.

Yes, you need to use an ADX to datalog, like I said the XDF is to look at the BIN, one can not be used in place of the other.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Electronic Ignition!
    So I finally got to log a bit of data of me driving around by my house out in the country and here's what I ended up with. I knew I was getting around 11 mpg so wasn't surprised there yikes! I'm assuming that's the cam and heads I put on disagreeing with the computer. I hope its something I can tune out if not I guess Ill learn to live with it.

IMG_4637.jpg

IMG_4636.jpg

Electronic Ignition!
    IMG_4638.jpgIMG_4639.jpgIMG_4641.jpg
    Here's a few more.

Seems to me ive seen some of the graphs from other users and they look relatively smooth while mine look all jumpy and my advance jumps like crazy on idle.

For the fuel and spark tables, I like using the "Running Average" view.

Posting a data log is helpful.

dave w

Electronic Ignition!
    Is there a site or place to go see what I’m actually looking for when I do this? I cannot for the life of me find what I’m actually looking for other than spark tables. And I don’t even know what to do with those. What would you like me to post to find what you would look at and change/ how it affects the running of the engine. Also is there a way to view the file I saved after data logging?

Electronic Ignition!
    Also is there any way I could take you up on that starter chip just to compare to the original one and see kind of what you did. It’s sometimes easier to learn things for me to see a before and after and work with it that way. I have four chips to work with because I was unsure of what I might need. Thanks!

Maybe this TunerPro RT V5 link will help: https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...-tutorial.html

Maybe a YouTube link for TunerPro RT will help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLRnRNapRN4&t=469s

dave w
    Last edited by dave w; 01-21-2021 at 05:00 PM.

Electronic Ignition!
    I’ve been doing a little reading before playing with anything but I saw that I might need a different fuel pump and or regulator spring in my throttle body to make up for the heads I used (62cc aluminum from summit just as a recap) is that true?

Hype vs. Reality is what I think your asking. Opinions might vary, some members have more real world experience that others on the topic?

The factory TBI heads (if I remember correctly) are about 65cc, so it's likely the 62cc heads will marginally affect the compression ratio. Aluminum heads will typically allow slightly higher compression ratios vs. knock retard / spark knock. Aluminum heads offer the promise of more spark advance.

I tend to think TBI injectors are "Narrow Band" meaning the injectors "tune well" to either low end performance, midrange performance, or high end performance, not all performance levels. I tend to think 8 injectors is better than 2 injectors for that reason.

I tend to think TBI pressure regulator springs that provide higher pressures combined with higher volume fuel pumps are very helpful for all out top end performance, but will likely cause headaches for low end daily driving conditions.

Data logs provide the truth - - - - Hype vs Reality. Some say Dyno numbers don't lie.

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    Several gearhead-efi members, including myself, can "write" a "starter chip".

A starter is often described as a "best guess" for the fuel and spark tables based on the engine modifications.

For example, Vortec heads are a common engine modification to a TBI Engine. The spark tables for a TBI Engine vs. Vortec Engine are very different. The stock Vortec timing tables are a better match for a TBI engine has been modified with Vortec head, than TBI timing tables. Often a TBI engine that has been modified with Vortec heads requires a modified Vortec Timing Table for optimal performance. The stock Voctec Timing Table is a good "starting" point.

Tuning uses data logs, that have information a tuner uses to correct Knock Retard and Rich / Lean fuel conditions. Tuners use different methods to make tuning adjustments, I crunch data logs with Microsoft Excel (screen shots below). Trimalyzer is a good tool also (screen shot below).

dave w
    where would i find the stock vortec timing tables? i have a vortec 4.3 i am putting to together as a backup to my 94 4.3 tbi.
    the vortec unit is a 2002 with the spider injection. i have a tbi intake and distributor and plan on swapping the needed tbi parts onto it to make it like my existing tbi.

the vortec unit will live on a run stand and only have idle stuff tuned until the 94 is no longer in service..

if i am not mistaken it should produce a little more power than the 94 as well.

The attached .xls file has a timing table that was "copied" from a 4.3 V6 .bin file located in post #6 http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...rPro-Bin-Files

dave w
    Attached Files Attached Files

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    The attached .xls file has a timing table that was "copied" from a 4.3 V6 .bin file located in post #6 http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...rPro-Bin-Files

dave w
    you sir, are awesome!