Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with tuning?

Electronic Ignition!

Help with tuning?

I just purchased a few things from moates for burning my own chips for my 95 K1500 Sierra. I’m running the summit 62 cc aluminum heads and lunati’s computer compatible barebones cam with 204/214 duration. On the gmt 400 forum they recommended me here for a bin to burn to my chip. I guess it’s a pretty common setup but it surges a little on idle especially when I’m sitting at a light. I’m running the stock Tbi and manifold with all the emissions stuff. Don’t care too much about that stuff so I’m keeping it. Trying to get whatever mileage and/or performance out of my build as I can. It’s a daily so I’m obviously not turning into a speed demon (also it’s shaped like a brick). Anyway any help would be appreciated. I’ve got the 3.42 rear end which if I can I’d like to keep for now just for monetary reasons. Thank you!

The .bin library has stock .bin files.

Are you asking for a modified .bin file?

Can you post the stock .bin file your using?

dave w

Electronic Ignition!
    I can once I get all the stuff which should be here in the next week. I just wanted to get it up here on the forum cause I wasn’t sure how busy you guys would be or how long it would take to get to it.

Electronic Ignition!
    Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    The .bin library has stock .bin files.

Are you asking for a modified .bin file?

Can you post the stock .bin file your using?

dave w
    Sorry for the late response, all my stuff got here last night so I’m planning on getting started tommorrow getting all the software set up. I’ve got 4 chips from moates and the burn 2 And the data logging cable and also the g1 adapter. These are what they recommended for having someone write a bin for me/ with me because I have no experience with tuning though I would eventually like to learn. Maybe not on this truck however as it’s my daily😂.

There might be some misunderstandings about chips.

Performance Chips are all to often configured to empty the wallet of money without any real performance. Some performance chips make OUTRAGOUS claims, like list all engine modifications and the chip is optimal.

Stock engines work well with Stock Chips.

Modified engine work well with "Tuned Chips".

dave w

Electronic Ignition!
    There might be some misunderstandings about chips.

Performance Chips are all to often configured to empty the wallet of money without any real performance. Some performance chips make OUTRAGOUS claims, like list all engine modifications and the chip is optimal.

Stock engines work well with Stock Chips.

Modified engine work well with "Tuned Chips".

dave w
    So with my setup that I said above. Making my own chips to plug into the ecu to help pull what I can out of my build is my goal. Could I get a tune written by someone or with the help of someone (I’ve heard good things about you specifically but I don’t know if you do that sort of thing anymore) to accomplish that goal?

Several gearhead-efi members, including myself, can "write" a "starter chip".

A starter is often described as a "best guess" for the fuel and spark tables based on the engine modifications.

For example, Vortec heads are a common engine modification to a TBI Engine. The spark tables for a TBI Engine vs. Vortec Engine are very different. The stock Vortec timing tables are a better match for a TBI engine has been modified with Vortec head, than TBI timing tables. Often a TBI engine that has been modified with Vortec heads requires a modified Vortec Timing Table for optimal performance. The stock Voctec Timing Table is a good "starting" point.

Tuning uses data logs, that have information a tuner uses to correct Knock Retard and Rich / Lean fuel conditions. Tuners use different methods to make tuning adjustments, I crunch data logs with Microsoft Excel (screen shots below). Trimalyzer is a good tool also (screen shot below).

dave w
    Attached Images Attached Images

Electronic Ignition!
    Several gearhead-efi members, including myself, can "write" a "starter chip".

A starter is often described as a "best guess" for the fuel and spark tables based on the engine modifications.

For example, Vortec heads are a common engine modification to a TBI Engine. The spark tables for a TBI Engine vs. Vortec Engine are very different. The stock Vortec timing tables are a better match for a TBI engine has been modified with Vortec head, than TBI timing tables. Often a TBI engine that has been modified with Vortec heads requires a modified Vortec Timing Table for optimal performance. The stock Voctec Timing Table is a good "starting" point.

Tuning uses data logs, that have information a tuner uses to correct Knock Retard and Rich / Lean fuel conditions. Tuners use different methods to make tuning adjustments, I crunch data logs with Microsoft Excel (screen shots below). Trimalyzer is a good tool also (screen shot below).

dave w
    Forgive my newness to all of this but when you write the starter you’ll get it close based on the mods I’ve made. Then after that based on data logging with the cable from moates how do I change values or where do I start. Is there anyone that can help program or keep me on the right track? Again really the only thing that’s “wrong” right now is a surging idle while I’m in gear. When I shift into neutral or park it will bump but not surge or die the way it does when in gear.
    It might be shifting a little late too certain times but I’m not sure. Thank you for your help too!

The best place to start tuning is with data logging.

Maybe the information in this youtube link will help get setup to data log: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpUaeiJYk3I&t=23s

dave w

I have found one of the best tools to use for someone to understand the changes made to a tune/BIN is to use an EPROM emulator, like an Ostrich 2.0 or AutoProm, which it sounds like you didn't buy.

The old method of datalog, modify bin, burn, swap EPROMs does work, it takes a lot longer and can be more difficult to get right, because you can't immediately see the result from the change and the change may be so subtle that it's difficult to tell if you're going in the right direction or not, and so you may make a bigger change than needed on the next iteration, which then may make the engine run poorly and think that you went the wrong way, changing the tune again, but the wrong way and you can get into a lot of back and forth and frustration. So, basically if you use the burn n swap method, you need to have patience and pay real close attention to what the datalog says and what your other senses tell you as well. That last part is the reason I don't do remote tuning or mail order tunes. I've tuned some cars where the numbers on the screen would have led me the wrong way, using my other senses, feel, smell sight, etc, have been my greatest asset when it comes to getting a tune right.

Using an EPROM emulator speeds up the process quite a lot and you can see the changes immediately as you make the changes and know whether it's in the right direction or not. It really helped me to understand what changes did what back when I first started learning.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Electronic Ignition!
    Quote Originally Posted by Six_Shooter View Post
    I have found one of the best tools to use for someone to understand the changes made to a tune/BIN is to use an EPROM emulator, like an Ostrich 2.0 or AutoProm, which it sounds like you didn't buy.

The old method of datalog, modify bin, burn, swap EPROMs does work, it takes a lot longer and can be more difficult to get right, because you can't immediately see the result from the change and the change may be so subtle that it's difficult to tell if you're going in the right direction or not, and so you may make a bigger change than needed on the next iteration, which then may make the engine run poorly and think that you went the wrong way, changing the tune again, but the wrong way and you can get into a lot of back and forth and frustration. So, basically if you use the burn n swap method, you need to have patience and pay real close attention to what the datalog says and what your other senses tell you as well. That last part is the reason I don't do remote tuning or mail order tunes. I've tuned some cars where the numbers on the screen would have led me the wrong way, using my other senses, feel, smell sight, etc, have been my greatest asset when it comes to getting a tune right.

Using an EPROM emulator speeds up the process quite a lot and you can see the changes immediately as you make the changes and know whether it's in the right direction or not. It really helped me to understand what changes did what back when I first started learning.

I see. The reason I went in this direction is because support from moates suggested it may take a month or so to learn (and that this way was a little less expensive) and getting a tune written for me might be the better direction even if it means sending the data I log to someone over email and exchanging back and forth. I guess I should have just bit the bullet and bought the AutoProm. I guess Ill either end up spending that extra money (yikes) or Ill have to find someone to walk me through this method at least until I am pretty comfortable I'm not going to break anything. Any suggestions are welcome. I watched the video from Dave but unfortunately that website the guy uses to find a close bin to his mods isn't functioning and seems pretty dead.

Quote Originally Posted by countylinegarage View Post
    I watched the video from Dave but unfortunately that website the guy uses to find a close bin to his mods isn't functioning and seems pretty dead.
    Gearhead-efi has a library of TunerPro RT files for your TBI system. The Youtube link was basic overview of TunerPro RT.

Goal #1 --- Post a data log.

Ask questions, we all started out like you wanting to understand EFI. It's still an engine, but with a computer.

dave w

Electronic Ignition!
    Gearhead-efi has a library of TunerPro RT files for your TBI system. The Youtube link was basic overview of TunerPro RT.

Goal #1 --- Post a data log.

Ask questions, we all started out like you wanting to understand EFI. It's still an engine, but with a computer.

dave w

Sounds good! Sorry too wasnt trying to be crappy about it I appreciate all you guys help! Just trying to figure out the options as well as what I can do myself or what I will have to get help with. I'm going to probably ride around with the laptop plugged in to get some numbers this afternoon.

Electronic Ignition!
    I found my bin file which i made wayyyy more complicated than i needed to. However i cant find the "xdf" to data log with tunerpro since that website is funktified. Where do i find that information. EDIT I did find the files and I chose one and its in the tunerprort software im now having issues with getting my aldl cord to show for whatever reason. I followed the instructions moates put out and the software says the cord should be working but it then wont initialize. instead it says hardware not found.
    Last edited by countylinegarage; 01-17-2021 at 12:57 AM.

I have an Ostrich or 2 I'm thinking about parting with. I have several, and don't use OBD1 GM ECMs on as many of my vehicles anymore, most have or will have Megasquirt, one will stick with the GM ECU, since it's mostly stock, and doesn't make sense to swap it to a Megasquirt, so I don't need as many emulators.

It's going to take you a lot longer than a month to learn, I've been doing this for about 15 years and still learn new things often. ;) I'm not saying that to discourage you, I'm just saying that the idea that a month to learn what you need is a bit unrealistic. Don't get me wrong, you'll learn a LOT when you jump in, and it WILL be overwhelming sometimes, but as long as you are patient and willing to learn, you'll be fine. Also, there's no such thing as a "perfect tune", you can get a tune very very good, but it'll never be perfect under all conditions, so don't get too worried when you get to a point where you seem to be changing the same cells or values back and forth between two settings. That just means that you're really close and need to leave it at some setting and live with the slightly not perfect numbers that you might be seeing. The goal is to have a good running engine, that runs smoothly, pulls smoothly and makes the power it should, while using the least amount of fuel possible to achieve this an not overheat at the same time. It's a balancing act, and will take some time.

You don't need an XDF to datalog, you need an ADX.

The XDF is, for all intents and purposes, the road map to the BIN file and puts the hex in the BIN file into easy to read numbers and functions.

The ADX is what deciphers the datastream from the ALDL port.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.