Thread: Help with tuning?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Electronic Ignition!

Help with tuning?

I just purchased a few things from moates for burning my own chips for my 95 K1500 Sierra. I’m running the summit 62 cc aluminum heads and lunati’s computer compatible barebones cam with 204/214 duration. On the gmt 400 forum they recommended me here for a bin to burn to my chip. I guess it’s a pretty common setup but it surges a little on idle especially when I’m sitting at a light. I’m running the stock Tbi and manifold with all the emissions stuff. Don’t care too much about that stuff so I’m keeping it. Trying to get whatever mileage and/or performance out of my build as I can. It’s a daily so I’m obviously not turning into a speed demon (also it’s shaped like a brick). Anyway any help would be appreciated. I’ve got the 3.42 rear end which if I can I’d like to keep for now just for monetary reasons. Thank you!

The .bin library has stock .bin files.

Are you asking for a modified .bin file?

Can you post the stock .bin file your using?

dave w

Electronic Ignition!
    I can once I get all the stuff which should be here in the next week. I just wanted to get it up here on the forum cause I wasn’t sure how busy you guys would be or how long it would take to get to it.

Electronic Ignition!
    Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    The .bin library has stock .bin files.

Are you asking for a modified .bin file?

Can you post the stock .bin file your using?

dave w
    Sorry for the late response, all my stuff got here last night so I’m planning on getting started tommorrow getting all the software set up. I’ve got 4 chips from moates and the burn 2 And the data logging cable and also the g1 adapter. These are what they recommended for having someone write a bin for me/ with me because I have no experience with tuning though I would eventually like to learn. Maybe not on this truck however as it’s my daily😂.

There might be some misunderstandings about chips.

Performance Chips are all to often configured to empty the wallet of money without any real performance. Some performance chips make OUTRAGOUS claims, like list all engine modifications and the chip is optimal.

Stock engines work well with Stock Chips.

Modified engine work well with "Tuned Chips".

dave w

Electronic Ignition!
    Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    There might be some misunderstandings about chips.

Performance Chips are all to often configured to empty the wallet of money without any real performance. Some performance chips make OUTRAGOUS claims, like list all engine modifications and the chip is optimal.

Stock engines work well with Stock Chips.

Modified engine work well with "Tuned Chips".

dave w
    So with my setup that I said above. Making my own chips to plug into the ecu to help pull what I can out of my build is my goal. Could I get a tune written by someone or with the help of someone (I’ve heard good things about you specifically but I don’t know if you do that sort of thing anymore) to accomplish that goal?

Several gearhead-efi members, including myself, can "write" a "starter chip".

A starter is often described as a "best guess" for the fuel and spark tables based on the engine modifications.

For example, Vortec heads are a common engine modification to a TBI Engine. The spark tables for a TBI Engine vs. Vortec Engine are very different. The stock Vortec timing tables are a better match for a TBI engine has been modified with Vortec head, than TBI timing tables. Often a TBI engine that has been modified with Vortec heads requires a modified Vortec Timing Table for optimal performance. The stock Voctec Timing Table is a good "starting" point.

Tuning uses data logs, that have information a tuner uses to correct Knock Retard and Rich / Lean fuel conditions. Tuners use different methods to make tuning adjustments, I crunch data logs with Microsoft Excel (screen shots below). Trimalyzer is a good tool also (screen shot below).

dave w
    Attached Images Attached Images