Thread: 7427 tuning issues with apu1

Electronic Ignition!

7427 tuning issues with apu1

Hello everyone,
    I'm having a few issues when i load anything into my apu1.
    Im using the moates APU1 with the g1 adapter with a zif socket. 1993 chevy c1500 4.3l with a 4l60e and 3.42 gears.
    I've tried using several different bins from this site ($0D, $E6, etc), and xdf from this site and tunerpros. I've even tried using the read and write function to pull the stock bin from my memcal chip and write it onto a 27sf* chip. The issue being, whenever i load anything into the APU1 and start the vehicle; it starts but runs horribly, high idle, and a strange surge/drop every 20-30 seconds where it sounds like it trys to die but doesn't, Truck runs fine with just stock chip inserted, no g1 adapter. But with the adapter and stock chip installed, the issue ensued. I've gone over the how to guides at least 10 times, uninstalled and reinstalled tunerpro made sure all drivers are downloaded etc. Even switched from a macbook to a windows laptop and still the same. Hardware is detected, usb is found, comport setting are correct, tried switching baud rates on apu1, checked 100x for proper adapter installation.. Been at this for a few months now and have scoured this site and every other for an answer and can't find one. Not sure what im doing wrong.
    If anyone could help it would be tremendously appreciated!
    I can post any info needed, i have a few short data logs of both stock operation and with new bins.

Fuel Injected!
    Is your check engine light on when it's running rough?

Electronic Ignition!
    Check engine light has been on for a few months, due to my knock sensor. Code 32.
    When a bin is loaded i get multiple codes for things like lean condition etc. Smells terrible out the exhaust too. Runs fine with some timing retard with stock chip though.

Fuel Injected!
    But with the adapter and stock chip installed, the issue ensued.
    I can`t think of anything but the most obvious. A faulty g1 adapter. I suspect the pcm enters limp home mode when the adapter is used and runs like crap. Do you have any communication via the aldl port when you use the adapter.

Electronic Ignition!
    Yes, i can still get data logs, some of the info is all wonky though. OČ readings sweep. Blm counts in the red. That's also the only thing i was thinking, except i still get connection. The bin i read off the stock one doesn't match up with the $OD ones I've tried. But, they do pass the verify check in the read/write function.. until i go to load it into the chip, afterwards it won't verify. Maybe something with the placement on the 27sf chip?

Electronic Ignition!
    Also, im pretty sure it's not in limp mode. Only because it'll still drive (bad) but it'll also shift all the way through the gears( also bad). So not quite limp, but something is for sure messed up.

Fuel Injected!
    I'm also leaning something with the adapter setup. Are you sure you don't have a chip or socket in backwards?

Electronic Ignition!
    Yeah, im pretty sure it's not in backwards. I can still data log, I've switched it around and then it won't even start. So pretty sure it isn't that. I ordered a new g1 adapter and it should come in next week. So I'll update this post with the results.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devon m. View Post
    Hello everyone,
    I'm having a few issues when i load anything into my apu1.
    Im using the moates APU1 with the g1 adapter with a zif socket. 1993 chevy c1500 4.3l with a 4l60e and 3.42 gears.
    I've tried using several different bins from this site ($0D, $E6, etc), and xdf from this site and tunerpros. I've even tried using the read and write function to pull the stock bin from my memcal chip and write it onto a 27sf* chip. The issue being, whenever i load anything into the APU1 and start the vehicle; it starts but runs horribly, high idle, and a strange surge/drop every 20-30 seconds where it sounds like it trys to die but doesn't, Truck runs fine with just stock chip inserted, no g1 adapter. But with the adapter and stock chip installed, the issue ensued. I've gone over the how to guides at least 10 times, uninstalled and reinstalled tunerpro made sure all drivers are downloaded etc. Even switched from a macbook to a windows laptop and still the same. Hardware is detected, usb is found, comport setting are correct, tried switching baud rates on apu1, checked 100x for proper adapter installation.. Been at this for a few months now and have scoured this site and every other for an answer and can't find one. Not sure what im doing wrong.
    If anyone could help it would be tremendously appreciated!
    I can post any info needed, i have a few short data logs of both stock operation and with new bins.
    Soooo...when you say you tried different bins from this site, you're using the "emulation" feature of the APU1? Checksum disabled?

My experience with the 7427 is that nothing seems to work until you get rid of that check engine light. Correct the deficiency, reset the PCM by disconnecting the battery and start all over.

Just to be sure, you're not putting the chip on the APU1? Only time a chip goes onto the APU1 is when you're reading or writing to a EEPROM.
    Last edited by stew86MCSS396; 01-02-2021 at 02:13 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devon m. View Post
    Yes, i can still get data logs, some of the info is all wonky though. OČ readings sweep. Blm counts in the red. That's also the only thing i was thinking, except i still get connection. The bin i read off the stock one doesn't match up with the $OD ones I've tried. But, they do pass the verify check in the read/write function.. until i go to load it into the chip, afterwards it won't verify. Maybe something with the placement on the 27sf chip?
    If you're not certain as to orientation or placement of chip on the APU1, follow legend on this programmer.
    74707d1088476675-pocket-programmer-software-intronics.jpg

Electronic Ignition!
    Late response on this one. I am putting the chip in the g1 adapter, except for when I am emulating and then I use the ribbon cable.
    Here is a log of what it looks like when this is happening. I did an extract to convert the data, not sure if I included what is needed though and can do it again if needed, and a normal stock chip exported data log. (nvm, says invalid file)
    not sure what my issue with the code 43 (knock sensor circuit low voltage) is. I've tried even wiring in a resistor to "trick" the ecu into thinking the KS is still there. Which did not work, likely something further down the circuit. I will be replacing the entire line shortly. Would I not be able to just turn the flag off in TP? Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Devon m.; 01-29-2021 at 05:08 AM.

Electronic Ignition!
    here are the data logs though
    Attached Files Attached Files