Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Finally getting another Delco project done, or started....

Administrator
    Robert, no flag to disable AFAIK.

Six, get the math done, as much as possible! That kicked my rear when I went back. Kids who want into math based programs have sooo much more than I had it's not even funny. Then there were foreign kids who were near top of class back in "home country" in order to get sponsorships for American college. I'm no dummy but it was like walking into a movie 40 minutes late. I was teaching myself Trig while learning Calculus, Physics, and coding and boy, it took many hours of extra work doing all at once. Get the head start if you have a chance. Good luck!

Good idea with switch. Sometimes after first switch "off" code 42 will set and ecm won't try to apply 5V again. Or maybe ecm is in limp mode to begin with? O'scope should show EST pulses out of ECM and signal on 5V line. Basics covered of course... 6 cyl memcal, EST and bypass wiring on correct pins, calibration downloaded from emulator and double checked for corrupt bits, ecm is "known good part."

Yes, code change should work in $59. Search for the following bytes to find possible location:
    13 29 01 01 4F

I should have been in bed an hour ago but I keep thinking of more stuff to do. The medicated generation would be sleeping by now.
    Last edited by 1project2many; 07-11-2012 at 06:31 AM.

Ok, I need to get back to this car, math course has been done for a little over a week now.

Anyway, does the TR ignition system require the cam position sensor to be functioning correctly, or it is used solely by the ECM? Whenever the stock ECM is plugged in, there is a code for the cam position sensor.

I honestly think, that once I get the ignition control side sorted out on this, it will be pretty easy to get this tuned out.

Also the TR/GN ignition is offset by 33 degrees, correct (660 ignition is offset by 60 degrees)?
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Super Moderator
    33 sounds right, but it's been a long time since i've looked into it.

does the 3.8 ICM act like the 3800 ICM (has the cam signal pass through it)? if so, expect it to want the cam sensor.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Administrator
    maybe 3.8 turbo ignition module requires cam signal.

I found some info from Bruce. He used similar values to what was previously posted but that's because he had an '87. I think the low max advance was for added safety.
    Ref angle 70 deg ($C7)
    Max Adv 0
    Max Retard -66 deg ($FF43)

Edit: Bruce had also switched to a 3800 balancer and crank sensor for faster starting.

Here's the values for an 86 GN as listed by GM:
    Reference angle: $2B deg
    Max Advance: $007A
    Max Retard: $FFD8
    usec time correction:$0D

HTH
    Last edited by 1project2many; 08-15-2012 at 01:19 PM.

Thanks, I'll give those values a try, and get the owner to get another cam sensor.

I'm contemplating getting a trigger wheel made up for it to go to the more common 60 degree V6 ignition system.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Super Moderator
    that, i would approve of.

the 3800 guys would be furious.

Well, considering it's a 3.8, not a 3800, I don't think they would care much. ;)

Super Moderator
    maybe, but the principle of it makes me chuckle.

Fuel Injected!
    theres some TR purists out there that would probably sneer at the whole conversion lol.

Administrator
    If you install an E-dist and six coils along with the 7 notch wheel no one will care what you used to run it, they'll only be interested in duplicating it.

Bringing this back from the dead.

I got the car back tonight.

After playing with $58 in my car earlier this week, and thanks to 1project2many bringing to light about the incorrect conversion in most of the available $58 XDFs, it was much easier to get the TR spark advance working correctly. I think if I hadn't tried using $58 on my car previously, I would still be pulling my hair out.

I also found my "Bad PROM read/ possible corrupt bin issue. it was the MEMCAL itself. For some reason There are several pins that worn't connect through the MEMCAL from the DIP socket, it's not a solder joint, because the pins of the DIP socket connect fine to the contacts just below the socket, but not reliably through the MEMCAL to the ECM. So I used G1 adapter and plugged this MEMCAL onto it...

I found one other issue as well, again thanks to running $58 on my car earlier this week. A lot of the rough running of the car on previous attempts would be because half the injectors weren't firing. I had the adapter harness pinned to use both injector drivers, but not the ground side, and from what I tried with my car, it seems like the '7749 does not like to use both injector drivers in saturated mode. Moved one injector wire and bam, as smooth an idle as I've ever seen from this car.

I drove the car aroud for a bit, mostly highway, trying to keep it cool. It didn't want to run under 200* F. I did a bit of looking into it, and the ECM controls the low speed on these car, while a temp switch controls the high speed fan, at 226* F So I think I'm going to re-wire it so that it is more like a Sunbird, where the low speed comes on with the key and the high speed is controlled by the ECM.

I have a good roughed in bin now, and plan to get the car back tomorrow, and do some more tuning on it.

Fuel Injected!
    post a couple of videos if you can, im interested in how it runs.
    '86 Grand National

I'll see what I can do, I'll be picking it up in a bit to do more tuning on it, and hopefully leave the new ECM in the car when I return it. :D I think I might try swapping the ECM from a '7749 to a '7730 though, since they are easier to find, heck I just found two of them at the wreckers yesterday.

Super Moderator
    if you're using saturated injectors, i don't think the 7730 will have any problems with it.

I know the '7730 will be fine on the injector side, I think I need to swap and ALDL pin though, if memory serves.