Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Charcoal canister

I went out scavenging the junkyard yesterday shortly after my last post in search of a 427 pcm and memcal for my firebird. While I was scanning over the engine compartments of many TBI trucks for any other parts I may want, I took notice of the charcoal can size and placement and also the plumbing configuration. It seems that my tendency to make erroneous bonehead statements based on assumptions has struck again. Not only were the cannisters larger than I described based on the size of mine, but they did not have the CCP solenoid integrated into them like mine either. So, my appologies for providing false and misleading information. But, to answer your question, I believe that the cannister you got should be mounted upright. I have to go run some errands in a few minutes and will take another look at the can in my firebird as I think it is a little smaller than the truck units and it does have the ccp solenoid integrated into the top which would simplify mounting and plumbing. I'll post my findings after I get back home.

Phil

No need to apologize, I saw how big it was when I pulled it, and I wanted one and the solenoid from the same vehicle my pcm came from. It wasnt untill I tried it that I found it was gonna be a bit big.

And on that note, I tried again this afternoon, I'm just not gonna be able to use this thing. Its just not gonna fit anywhere unless I lay it on its side, and not sure if that will effect its function, and it would be on the opposite side of the engine compartment from the vent hose, making me have to run a long hose. Gonna do a little more looking around to see what I can find.
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

Quote Originally Posted by gregs78cam View Post
    The OBDII cars, vans and pickups I think have the canister, and solenoid mounted to the fuel tank. They are a nice rectangular unit that I believe is more compact than the usual big round ones.
    They are more likely mounted to plastic tanks. At least that is what I found when looking for suitable fuel pumps.
    1978 Camaro Type LT, 383, Dual TBI, '7427, 4L80E
    1981 Camaro Z-28 Clone, T-Tops, 350/TH350
    1981 Camaro Berlinetta, V-6, 3spd
    1974 Chevy/GMC Truck, '90 TBI 350, '7427, TH350, NP203, 6" lift, 35s

I took a look at the can on a gutted T/A that I have parked in the yard awaiting a tow to the scrapper and snapped a couple pics. I do believe that the F-body units are slightly smaller than the truck ones, but probably not enough to make a difference. If you aren't having any luck with the one you have then I doubt you will with one of these either. I did upload the pics that I took just for reference though.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the pics. Looks about half as tall as the one I have.
    I did a little looking and checking last night, I think I may be on to something. I should have just kept it in the family. I looked at the canister in my YJ, and its vac operated, but as far as size, it looks to be the same size as the factory one in my cherokee. Some looking around on ebay found the TJ canisters are the same size, but use a seperate electrical solenoid, it has 3 ports on the top just like the chevy one I have (tank, purge, and vent/air) I can get a TJ canister on the bay for cheap. Also, over on IFSJA, they have been using the ZJ/XJ canister to replace the factory units in the FSJ's, since they are vac operated, and the FSJ uses CTO switches to operate the purge. And the ZJ/XJ canister looks identical to (and I'm sure it is) to the YJ canister.
    SO, it looks like I can nab a TJ canister, and find a stock canister mounting bracket for my cherokee, and put it back in the stock location. I have mounted a couple relays and a power junction in the area around the stock location, but I think I can move them some to allow the canister to be reinstalled.
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

Success!
    I tracked down a factory canister bracket for my cherokee from a fellow member on IFSJA. Also scored a TJ wrangler canister off ebay, buy it now for $0.99...lol. Mounted the bracket, and the TJ canister fit it like it was made for it. I mounted the solenoid to a unused bolt on the firewall, used the hard line I got from the burb I nabbed the solenoid from, and it ended up being the perfect length for where I wanted it. I think I trimmed about 1-2 inches off the length. Hooked up the wires to their proper places and went to change the bin.
    I looked at the stock unmodded version of my bin and it did not have the ccp flag selected, so I figured the ccp settings were probably not right. I look at some, and some were their min, or max settings. So I needed to find a bin with ccp active in it, to copy all the parameters from. After looking at a few, and not finding any with the ccp flag checked, it then dawned on me. I grabbed the pcm from the same burb I got the solenoid from, look at that bin, DUH
    Loaded it up and sure enough it was checked, opened two instances of TP and copied every single ccp parameter over to my bin. Burnt the chip and changed a value on my dash to display ccp dc. Took it for a spin and its working! Engine has to warm up, then it only opens when throttle is open. Shut off if you let off throttle, stays off at idle, unless you rev it up a good bit, then it opens. Best part of all, my Jeep no longer smells like gas when I drive it!
    All and all, well worth the very small ammount of money I spent to buy the parts and small ammount of time spent installing said parts.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sweet. good job.
    1978 Camaro Type LT, 383, Dual TBI, '7427, 4L80E
    1981 Camaro Z-28 Clone, T-Tops, 350/TH350
    1981 Camaro Berlinetta, V-6, 3spd
    1974 Chevy/GMC Truck, '90 TBI 350, '7427, TH350, NP203, 6" lift, 35s