Thread: Charcoal canister

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Charcoal canister

Just a tiny bit of a back story to understand why I am asking about this.
    When I bought my 79 cherokee, it had caught on fire under the hood. The trans was pukeing atf out the fill tube onto the exhaust and then caught fire. It burnt the whole right side of the engine and compartment. Thats why I got it so cheap. It burnt all the wiring, heater hoses, heater box, ac hoses, spark plug wires, air cleaner, carb, battery, and charcoal canister before they got it out.
    I replaced all damaged parts (includeing the trans, witch I swapped in a 4 speed) except for the ac lines and the charcoal canister. The ac unit inside the jeep was all messed up anyways, so I simply removed everything except the pump (kept it for OBA) The charcoal canister I never replaced because back then, I didnt even really know what it did. I just knew it was for emissions, and figured I didnt need it.
    Fast forward to now and I have been meaning to put one back in for a while now, but its just never been high on my list. But while checking the oil after driving it last weekend I kept smelling gas. I was checking all my fuel lines and hoses and all were good, no leaks. Then I remembered the fuel tank vent hose, yep, theres the gas smell. SO I figure I need to take care of this, not so much for the smell and emmissions, but for saftey, as it just venting fumes into the engine compartment! How or why, did I not notice this untill now!

The canister on my wrangler simply has a little vaccume valve, and when it gets vac (when engine runs) it opens and vapor is vented into the air intake tube before it goes into the TB. So I started to look for one of these, untill I remembered all the parameters for CCP in my bin files on my fuel injection.
    SO, I was thinking would there be any reason not to just get a compatable canister/valve and just hook it up and run it and let the ecm controll it? And if so, would there be any reasons to alter the ccp settings in the bin from stock? I'm thinking no?

And last, I was thinking about heading down to the pull a part this weekend, so what vehicles could I look for to get a compatable canister other than (I assume) the tbi trucks? And where would it be located on them? I have never paid attention to the canister on them while pulling parts, so I have no clue.
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

Most GM vehicles have the charcoal canister on the left side of the engine compartment, just behind the radiator support. Sometimes a large lift cam will need changes to the CCP parameters. Generally, 1987 ~ 1995 Pickups, Suburbans, Blazers and even the S10 vehicles use an almost identical Charcoal Canister. I live in Washington State, so I have to be careful to avoid the California Emission Charcoal Canisters.

dave w

The charcoal canister recommended on the IFSJA board is a drop in replacement. And since you no longer have the carb vent hose, you don't have to drill out the second port. Around $40 IIRC. Add your CCP valve and you should be set!
    Familiar with 1227747 and 16197427 PCMs

Super Moderator
    the only change you might need to think about is if the solenoid is normally opened or normally closed.

for GM stuff, most of the early units i've seen are normally open, then transition to normally closed.

all of the masks i play with have an option to choose between them, but if yours doesn't, you'll either need to make certain the one you grab will work or patch code.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Robert, I am using a 7427, so if I grab the canister from a truck/van with the 7427, I would assume it would work fine? Any idea if one from a 7747 would work too?

FSJ, are you talking about like a new replacement one? When I removed it I removed the mounts and all and trashed it, the area it was in is now taken up by relays and a wiring junction, so I may have to find a new location for it.
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

Super Moderator
    i would play it safe and use one from a 7427(maybe check out the XDF for whatever mask you'll run to see if NO and NC are supported?). while one from a 7747 controlled vehicle might work, i personally have no way of verifying this.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E