Thread: The Flying Donkey

The Flying Donkey

Now that the cat is out of the bag, meaning my girlfriend knows about her Mustang I can post some pictures.

It's a project, but it's a good base to start from.

Yes, it WILL be Delco injected. :D

The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Re: The Flying Donkey

Nice. Looks like you have your work cut out for you there.
    odd things the police have said to me; "you can't drive that on the road", "I like your cow", "I didn't think you would pull over so quick"

Yep, but there's no rush. :D
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

What are you thinking for the engine ? Staying with the 6 or do you have something more exotic in mind ?
    odd things the police have said to me; "you can't drive that on the road", "I like your cow", "I didn't think you would pull over so quick"

I had a six cylinder, I could have easily done a one barrel. but noooo! had to be two barreell... by the time I collected the patrs, nooo it had to be MPFI. Now I have all the parts to do a car I sold... :cry:

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Forgot to say! Sweet looking car!

Doesn't Ford have a later MPFI six?

-= =-

For now the original 6, as long as it checks out mechanically will be staying in it. I'll be putting a single barrel TBI unit on it. I'm not sure which ECM I will run yet.

Once a swap happens, I'm not sure what will be going in, probably another 6 cylinder though. I have ideas about a DOHC Ford 2.3 turbo though.

Yeah, Ford used MPFI straight 6s later on in their trucks.

If you are sticking with the stock engine I have a friend with two of them sitting in his garage if you're needing something.

Sweet, that's good to know, since I'm not sure what condition this one is in.

One of his engines was a from a marine application - Mercruiser inboard setup - I wouldn't be surprised if it used some heavy duty pieces. I'll have to google it and see what I find ...

I still find low hour excellent running ford and chevy v8 marine engines around here. Short boating season and no salt water and a 20 year old boat with 200 hours on it... over on the coast same boat would be well over 2000 hours in seattle and some of those hours are salt water...

Used to sell boats here. Seattle was my best freind!

-= =-

Well, did some checking over of the car today, and it needs more body repair than I had hoped for. I haven't delved too deep into the body stuff just yet, and I can see a bunch of stuff that I need to "repair the repair."

So it looks like it will be getting late model suspension sooner than we had planned on. :)

Now, I just need to decide what to use for a front suspension donor. I already have an IRS for it, or on the way anyway.

Any suggestions? I want something late model, with rack and pinion (power) steering, obviously disc brakes, and preferably double A-arm.
    That being said I am considering late model Mustang front suspension, probably SN95 style.

I hate rust - I seem to recall those early Stangs were complicated underneath

For a few more bucks the aftermarket fox body or SN95 K frames are sweet and there are even some outfits that make a double A arm conversion for them. They are nearly identical and many parts will interchange. Fox body uses shorter A arms for narrower track. The Mustang II front K member is already a double A arm setup - while it is a favorite in the kit car and rod circles I don't know how much real performance potential it has... there is lots of aftermarket support and performance upgrades in braking and handling for any Mustang platform. Google Mustang II front - tons of hits and pics. Need me to measure the width of my frame rails ?

I did some online searching and it seems that the Fox body is almost a perfect match for track width to the '65, and is narrower than the SN95, which makes sense, because of the engine width differences between the two platforms.

I have found another option though and one that I'll take a good long look at, and that would be '04 to '07 Crown Vic. It'll need to be narrowed about 10", but as long as the A-arms aren't too long, this should be do-able then use a narrower rack, like a Fox body rack, but again, I'll need to do some math on this.