Thread: Help Getting Started

Carb and Points!

Help Getting Started

Hey everyone...

I am trying to avoid any mistakes if possible.

I've got a 1995 K1500 that was originally a V6, now a V8. I did that awhile back with a custom burned chip but I am replacing the intake manifold and wanting to dial it in better.

I've downloaded the $0D files as I have a 16197427 ECM, BJWX. My question is what is the best approach to use since it was an original V6? I would like to read my .bin using Tuner Pro RT and the autoprom with and HDR1 and then save that bin and duplicate and edit the copy. The truck isn't running so I'm just at home trying to get all the files ready to go then after I'm done installing everyone I can datalog, use the excel sheet to update tables and then dial things in a bit.

I've loaded the OD TP5 250.xdf file but cannot figure out how to get my bin pulled off my current memcal.

Thanks

Fuel Injected!
    IIRC...you need to do a modification to the memcal so that the Distributor Reference Pulse will be correct for the V8 from V6 conversion. It involves soldering a jumper under the blue cover or perhaps you could acquire a V8 one instead.
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...6196395-Memcal
    Last edited by stew86MCSS396; 11-29-2020 at 09:34 AM.

Administrator
    Hi there,

I'm not familiar with autoprom but the instructions at http://static.moates.net/manuals/Aut...sion%203_0.pdf seem fairly straightforward. After ensuring the memcal is installed correctly you will need to use TunerproRT to read the calibration from your chip. Possibly, if you provide a step by step of what you are doing someone can help figure out what's going wrong.

Did you have the truck running with the V8 and a custom chip? If so you only need to copy the file from the chip to start making changes. If you had a custom chip with your V6 I don't believe its a good idea to try and use it with the V8. There are too many differences between V6 and V8 calibrations. But you can still download the file and compare it to stock to find out what changes were made. If you're using a V6 memcal then you might want to replace it with a V8 memcal. The modification above tricks the pcm into thinking the memcal is for a V8 but the backup fuel is still wrong.

Carb and Points!
    Yes the truck still was running with the V6 chip and V8 installed but I have swapped intake manifolds and done some exhaust work so I want to make sure I get it dialed back in. I have read the .bin file from the original using TunerPro RT but my tables seem to be empty. I am wondering if I am using the wrong mask. My BCC is BJWX. What is the easiest way to verify the mask I need? I've got my .bin open in the hex reader right now but not sure where to look?

1) Where do I look in the hex editor to find my required .xdf or mask file?
    2) I have found the jumper mod, but if it was running previously I am assuming the chip was burnt using the V6 chip with something in the programming changed? If I do the mod will this effect that?
    3) Can I not just start with a new bin with a comparable build for a V8, 4L60E and tune from there? The donor had a computer but it was for a 4L80E so couldn't be used.

Carb and Points!
    Nevermind, I found how to locate mask ID using the 0D_TPV5_v250.xdf in the scalars. This is really going to be very addicting. Tonight the tables are showing values and not all zero's so I am guessing my first .bin reading was done wrong. The second time I read the .bin with the chip and buffer start/end to 000000/00FFFF and the file read as 64kb so I should be able to edit and reburn without having to adjust my offsets anymore?

Once I get the truck together and do some data logging I am sure I will have some more questions.

I've found some knock sensor info which I want to verify.

What are some target areas I'll need to study on for adding a higher flow intake and exhaust? I am guessing my fuel tables will need altered. Do you guys have any other recommendations I'll need to look at for an optimum tune?

TIA